GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,468
3 members and 1,465 guests
Roses78, Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'm sure a GLO would not appreciate knowing their UA chapter's recruitment adviser was ill advisedly posting in this thread under her maiden name. I'd think that behavior would stop.
Hubris will get you every time.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Hubris will get you every time.
May I present Elaine Benes of New York:

Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm sure a GLO would not appreciate knowing their UA chapter's recruitment adviser was ill advisedly posting in this thread under her maiden name. I'd think that behavior would stop.
Wait . . . what?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Wait . . . what?
This person knows who she is.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
May I present Elaine Benes of New York:

You got me.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
White privilege and white guilt. They don't balance each other out no matter how whites, in general, try.

White privilege allows whites, in general, to pretend to be objective and race neutral therefore an organization that is 99% white doesn't have a racial demographic. Only organizations that are 99% nonwhite (racial and ethnic minorities) have racial demographics. The rest of the organizations were just accidentally and coincidentally predominantly white and remained as such for generations. Sarcasm over.

White guilt is unnecessary, and as far as I'm concerned, condescending and useless. One of my pet peeves is apologetic whites. Stop apologizing and (to the whites who this pertains to) stop saying "I (we) don't see race" or "I wasn't alive back then." The assumption that nonwhites should care about your (in general) guilt or apologies is rooted in white privilege. No one has to care.
Dr. Phil, you always have a way of hitting the nail flat on the head. For my part, I give myself credit for knowing how far I have to go, and I don't say any of the ridiculousness of not seeing color. I only allow Stephen Colbert to say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Then the question becomes, are the heebie-jeebies a good reason not to say those true things? Not in my book. Virtually any truth that gives the heebie-jeebies does so because it hasn't been said loudly enough, or often enough. My alma mater doesn't call itself a historically white university, but it is one, and it doesn't bother me to read it.
You may be right. What I said above just occurred to me and made me consider why that would be. And again, I think Dr. Phil was able to put reason to my madness.

Quote:
I must have missed something. Want to catch me up?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Banned

1. I still have a TV crush on Stephen Colbert.
2. I'm mad at MaryPoppins. LOL. On my way to YouTube to laugh more.
3. AOII Angel sucks because I don't know who she's talking about.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
1. I still have a TV crush on Stephen Colbert.
2. I'm mad at MaryPoppins. LOL. On my way to YouTube to laugh more.
3. AOII Angel sucks because I don't know who she's talking about.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

MaryPoppins is why this thread has over 65K views.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, I know and understand that members of NPC groups don't prefer that designation, but if one looks at history, aren't they? And regardless, at Bama that shoe certainly fits.
Yes, they certainly are. But I was thinking about the national offices, tripping over themselves to 'make it better' and re-set the PR narrative, but the upshot is that if anything, the exclusionary stereotypes are more cemented in the public's eye than ever.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

I doubt most NPC national offices are tripping over themselves to make it better. The PR narrative is a wasteful emphasis because there will always be a range of opinions. You have people who are shocked and outraged for whatever reasons, you have people who are saddened for whatever reasons, and there are people like myself who are like "DUHHH" and are a bit apathetic and amused. But, just so people can get their quick and easy fix, I hope whatever short term goals are met so everyone can go back to smiling and talking about recruitment through a race neutral rainbows and ponies lens.

"Where the cookies and shit?"
~ Bernie Mac
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
wait... what?

Please elucidate. Statements such as yours, cited above, lead the reader to believe that you are in the know, or have access to inside information. Stop being cryptic or secretive. What's the deal?
Just responding with my understanding of why bid acceptance timelines differ. Nothing cryptic or anything.

I think Titchou may be fueling your feelings that something secretive is going on with her response to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You should know.

I don't have any idea what she is talking about, and neither does she. But I guess it sounds like she knows some kind of secret.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

MaryPoppins,
Re gifs -- Can you take a stock pic and add your own caption? This seems like an awfully good time to intercede with a post a picture of the knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the caption: Bring me a Cookie Table !!!

Last edited by pinksequins; 09-21-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
MaryPoppins,
Re gifs -- Can you take a stock pic and add your own caption?
Some people can, but I haven't. Gifs are either borrowed from this GC Thread "Animated GIFs we store here for future use" or I have used my mad Google skills to find them.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like this:

Closed Thread