GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,596
1 members and 1,595 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w&lTX View Post
Okay, so I'll be headed to Washington and Lee next year, and I just really want to know what exactly i should have/how many recs and which pictures I should send in.

I'm from Texas and I was prepping for UT rush just in case, so now I think that I have way more than is needed. I talked to a person in charge there and she told me that she could always tell the Texas girls from the size of their envelopes...but she didn't tell me what I specifically needed. I'll probably call her later this week, but here's what I have:

Portraits: full length, 3/4 length, headshot, and wallet size professional pictures
Social resume completed
transcripts and SAT/ACT scores on hand
at least three people who will write a good letter of rec for each sorority

any advice? Thanks!
I'd recommend PMing breathesgelatin if she doesn't pop by this thread. She is a W&L alum and now a grad student at UT.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for the other UCs, for sure, but recs are not important at Irvine.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, so I'll be headed to Washington and Lee next year, and I just really want to know what exactly i should have/how many recs and which pictures I should send in.

I'm from Texas and I was prepping for UT rush just in case, so now I think that I have way more than is needed. I talked to a person in charge there and she told me that she could always tell the Texas girls from the size of their envelopes...but she didn't tell me what I specifically needed. I'll probably call her later this week, but here's what I have:

Portraits: full length, 3/4 length, headshot, and wallet size professional pictures
Social resume completed
transcripts and SAT/ACT scores on hand
at least three people who will write a good letter of rec for each sorority

any advice? Thanks!
As a W&L alum, my 2c. I went in knowing NOTHING, no recs, nothing. I ended up where I belonged. I'm pretty sure my chapter is one that "finds" recs for people. However, I don't know about other chapters.

I would say that recs are not imperitive but help. My chapter and at least two others do not require them, but we did accept them and look at them.

FWIW I heard a girl from one chapter say "God, we hate recs because it makes more work for us." I don't honestly know how much of this is hyperbole.

ETA -- Also, on closer reading of your post, it's generally way more than you need. Because of Winter Term rush, the girls will know you and your REAL resume (the W&L one) and probably won't even look at your high school resume. Who cares what you did in high school if everyone already knows you as "that girl"? Best Advice: Go out, be seen, be friendly. Join clubs. Go on EVERY rushdate you're offered no matter what you think of the sorority as a whole (the girls who take you may change your mind). DO NOT BE THAT GIRL. Keep yourself under control when you go out.

Last edited by angels&angles; 05-17-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for all of the advice! I kind of assumed that I'm over-prepared, but it's hard not to be with all of the information that's been thrown at me for big southern state school type recruitment, so this is a wonderful relief! I'm not going to include everything I have because I really feel like it's excessive.

I'm really excited about rushing and W&L in general. I can hardly wait! thanks again!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
thanks for all of the advice! I kind of assumed that I'm over-prepared, but it's hard not to be with all of the information that's been thrown at me for big southern state school type recruitment, so this is a wonderful relief! I'm not going to include everything I have because I really feel like it's excessive.

I'm really excited about rushing and W&L in general. I can hardly wait! thanks again!
I would go ahead and submit a rec for every chapter, esp if you already have them. Despite what I heard, I really don't think it would hurt and we definitely DO get girls, esp from the deep south, who submit one or more. But anything else is unnecessary. Greek life at W&L is wonderful and there are great girls in EVERY srat (as you will hear them called). I would love to hear a recruitment story from you when the time comes.

Last edited by angels&angles; 05-21-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't see it listed. But, Southern Miss is also a school where recs are required.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of Big 12 yes but you definitely do not need recs at colorado
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 AM

My general rule of thumb:

If a school's Panhellenic website has a section dedicated to recs, or has list of addresses telling you where to send your recs, or mentions recs AT ALL--then you need to GET RECS.

If the rec section of their website says anything like "recs are suggested but not required, the chapters will get them for you" the translation is "you better get recs because everyone is going to have them and you have a good chance of being dropped like a bad habit if you don't have them."

You don' know how many girls I've encountered who were not as informed as others and when offered a rec from a family member or something say "oh the website said recs are optional."

If the site tells you not to worry and the chapters will get your recs, IGNORE IT and get them yourself anyway.

As with anything I say, feel free to disagree. lol.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-31-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

totally agree with you violet!

yesterday i was looking on a few college panhellenic websites and i was shocked to see on a particular sorority's site the following paraphrased statement,"it is our responsibility to find a recommendation for any pnm who does not have one." while it is politically correct to say this, it is so far from the truth it's not funny. on top of that, it is one of the most sought after chapters at that particular college, which has a very competitive recruitment. they should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to add my two cents about CU. They're certainly not mandatory, but they are really really helpful and my chapter tended to get a bunch of them and that was really nice, especially when recruitment numbers are about to hit one thousand or so.

But then again, I worked with reference every year I was active, so maybe that's the only reason I find them so helpful. haha.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

How much would it hurt you to not have recs at USC. No one in my family at all has gone greek, and I don't know anyone that has either even outside of my family.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

southern cal or south carolina?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
southern cal or south carolina?

Actually, FSUZeta, recs are highly desirable / essential at either one, right?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

you are right, exlurker.

if the poster will tell us which "usc" she is referring to, she might get better, more specific information.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Beeish!!!!

(I sort of know her). As you know my daughter went through at USC last fall. She had 3 recs (not the four that I thought she had) going into recruitment. My daughter pledged a house where she did not have a rec. They did get one for her. But she knew a girl in the house already, so that helped.

Do you know anyone from the dorms who can help you? Sometimes they have access to alums who are willing to help. Depending on the house it may be necessary to have them. I know that my daughter went into Pref with one with and one without a rec. She had other options but these were her top choices. She was lucky. But in general, they help.

Email me and I will be more specific. Have a WONDERFUL summer (err, winter) vacation.

Ellebud