GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,595
3 members and 2,592 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 07-17-2003, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zchi2
Quote:
Originally posted by Sistermadly
I have my reasons.

Seriously - I do. And they're personal ones. It wasn't a big soul-ripping cultural choice that I was faced with. Why did justamom choose Alpha Chi Omega instead of any of the other organizations in the NPC? Why did you choose Zeta Sigma Chi instead of the NPHC/NPC?

I guess what I'm getting at is that the "why" of this question isn't relevant (to me). It might be to other folks, but I just went where my heart and head told me to go.

(edited to get ZChi's organization name right)
I asked the question I guess because the reason why I chose Zeta Sigma Chi and not the NPC or NPHC was because of cultural reasons. I don't like being in an environment where I stick out like a sore thumb or I am considered the token. On my campus, for some reason I never met a women who stayed an active member of a NPC sorority who I... liked. For some reason I became cool with the ladies that deactivated after their sophmore year. However, I met some really sweet NPC women on other campuses. Also, to tell you the truth I didn't fit into the cultural environment of NPC sororities on my campus at all. So those experiences didn't make me want to run to Rush.

I didn't join a NPHC sorority because honestly, I was around all black people my entire life and I came to college to learn not only inside the classroom but outside of the classroom. I saw a need for a multicultural sorority not only for my campus but for myself. Being around such a wide variety of people who has such an intense pride in their culture has given me a greater pride in my own background. I wanted to be in an organization that main purpose was to gain a greater knowledge or yourself and others and that is what I found.

I can understand a black person joining an NPC sorority that is diverse but it's hard for me to understand why a black person would join a NPC sorority that is 99% white if they were raised in an environment like myself. But that is why I'm here on GC to learn
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2003, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by zchi2
I don't like being in an environment where I stick out like a sore thumb or I am considered the token.
Cool. I get that. But I don't stick out like a sore thumb, and I don't feel like a token. And I'd even venture a guess that Alpha Phi isn't 99% white.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zchi2
And for people like sistermadly who was raised in a majority "minority" environment, what made you decide to join a HWGO over a HBGO?
I'll venture to answer this one even though I'm not a member of a sorority. I have several different reasons but I'll just share one of them.

All 4 of the NPHC sororities are on my campus. I researched all 4 of them online as well as attending as many programs as possible without being considered an interest. Plus, members from the different orgs are in my family. I've spent 3 yrs getting ahold of as much info as possible and researching the histories. All 4 are wonderful organizations, they all have done great things for the community, but I didn't find what I was looking for in any of them. Since I couldn't find any other reasons to do so, I decided to look at NPC and multi-cultural orgs.

I love the NPHC but the NPHC sororities aren't for everyone.

Last edited by blueGBI; 07-17-2003 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI

I couldn't find a reason why I should go online for any of them of than to have to opportunity to step and partywalk.
That's all the NPHC sororites do on your campus? Step and Party walk?
Old 07-17-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
That's all the NPHC sororites do on your campus? Step and Party walk?
I think she means she wasn't called to them - from what I have heard about the NPHC groups, you should feel a calling to one before you "rush" and she didn't find one.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI
I'll venture to answer this one even though I'm not a member of a sorority. I have several different reasons but I'll just share one of them.

All 4 of the NPHC sororities are on my campus. I researched all 4 of them online as well as attending as many programs as possible without being considered an interest. Plus, members from the different orgs are in my family. I've spent 3 yrs getting ahold of as much info as possible and researching the histories. All 4 are wonderful organizations, they all have done great things for the community, but I didn't find what I was looking for in any of them. Since I couldn't find any other reasons to do so, I decided to look at NPC and multi-cultural orgs.

I love the NPHC but the NPHC sororities aren't for everyone.
I completely know where you are coming from!!! Glad to know that you and ZChi2 can relate!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
My reasons were personal too. It is like howand why do you choose your specific mate? It takes a lot of research and a lot fo soul searching but When ya know, ya know!

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
For all of you who came to the point where a decision had to be made between NPC or NPHC, what influenced you to rush NPC?
Is this considered a hijack?
Old 07-18-2003, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto! Even though I realize now that I could be happy in any Greek organization, it felt right. You just know.