GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,540
Threads: 114,741
Welcome to our newest member, HeitorBarr

Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

But Mizzou got large pledge classes didn't they? I mean, it would appear to me the problem is either with parity or the number of sororities on campus, not some evil unfairness to PNMs.

How many of the chapters made quota at Mizzou this year?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM

I think deferred is better than 1st semester for a myriad of reasons, but I don't know why the writer thinks it will lessen the number of women being released or dropping out of rush. IMO deferred helps with RETENTION primarily.

It sounds like they're saying "students should get involved in other things so they don't want to rush and so the sororities won't be so big" which is stupid.

And yeah, I would bet most of those women "denied" themselves bids by dropping out of rush.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
http://mizzoutheta.blogspot.com/2010...w-members.html

Here's a link to Kappa Alpha Theta's bid day pics - not sure how I navigated to them, but there they are
Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone sent me this earlier: http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...ove-new-house/

Delta Sigma Phi moves into the old AKL (and formerly AOII? I've read but can't remember—AGDAlum, was 805 Richmond AGD or AOII?). Good for them. Their old house looked really small; so I was surprised at their membership numbers.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
http://mizzoutheta.blogspot.com/2010...w-members.html

Here's a link to Kappa Alpha Theta's bid day pics - not sure how I navigated to them, but there they are
Love the "born to fly" slogan!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
Someone sent me this earlier: http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2...ove-new-house/

Delta Sigma Phi moves into the old AKL (and formerly AOII? I've read but can't remember—AGDAlum, was 805 Richmond AGD or AOII?). Good for them. Their old house looked really small; so I was surprised at their membership numbers.
Annabella, it was the Alpha Epsilon Phi house. From reading the Maneater story, I think that AEPhi bought it from Delta Sig. When I was at Mizzou Delta Sig was at the corner of Richmond & Burnam, next to KD and across Richmond from Kappa. So, what's happening to that house?

And, Annabella, while I'm remembering: there was a little house (a regular residence) behind Delta Sig on Richmond -- between Delta Sig and GPhiB. I am sure it became someone's annex....but is it there still?

To those who aren't familiar with Mizzou Greektown: property is at a premium. Parking is at a premium. Chapters are bursting at the seams of their houses. By the early 70's the residential-type houses that were left in that neighborhood became annexes (a junior/senior privilege), but I suspect that many of them fell into such disrepair that they were torn down and converted to parking lots.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
Double post, but.... DG goes barefoot for pref. It really does stand out!

That is really odd! I guess the importance of a good pedicure cannot be underestimated for the Mizzou DG's!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Since there is a Mizzou-specific thread, I'll cross post here. I was told that quota was 75 and Gamma Phi took 77.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou Kappa Delta Quilt

Before you criticize, I am fully aware that I am a terrible photographer. The quilt that was commissioned for a Mizzou KD incorporated university t-shirts as well as Kappa Delta (Greek Week, Homecoming et al).

Last edited by alum; 08-29-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Daddy/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Before you criticize, I am fully aware that I am a terrible photographer. The quilt that was commissioned for a Mizzou KD incorporated university t-shirts as well as Kappa Delta (Greek Week, Homecoming et al).
Looks great! I've made ONE t-shirt quilt (on commission) and have vowed never again. I most likely will, one of these years, but I'll do a much better job. Fortunately the recipient of the one I made thinks it's terrific. (For those of you who are not quiltmakers, which I suspect is most: t-shirt quilts are hard because (a) the t-shirts have to be stabilized so they don't stretch and (b) the multiplicity of motifs can make design decisions complex and (c) as with most commissioned quilts, people think they can get something for virtually nothing.)
Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Looks great! I've made ONE t-shirt quilt (on commission) and have vowed never again. I most likely will, one of these years, but I'll do a much better job. Fortunately the recipient of the one I made thinks it's terrific. (For those of you who are not quiltmakers, which I suspect is most: t-shirt quilts are hard because (a) the t-shirts have to be stabilized so they don't stretch and (b) the multiplicity of motifs can make design decisions complex and (c) as with most commissioned quilts, people think they can get something for virtually nothing.)

Definitely use fusible interfacing for stabilizer, let the client decide the layout (although I suggested a skewed 4-3-4-3-4 vs a 6 x 3) of an 18-shirt quilt.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think they're easy peasy! You do HAVE to stabilize them or you'd seriously want to kill somebody in about 5 minutes, and the older, more worn out crappy t-shirt works the best. But I find the motif thing is no big deal. It is what it is. It's supposed to be a mishmash of colors and themes. I have always tried to find a frame fabric that fits the theme, even though it may not coordinate with any of the shirts. So for instance, I made a t-shirt for an Iowa State grad (my brother-in-law... we forgive him) and the fabric was BRIGHT red with BRIGHT yellow stars. This was not a quilt that was going to sit quietly in a corner!

Now, water color quilts are a different story. I practically needed counseling by the time I had that sucker done.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Many times the background colors of the shirts from a particular school ARE the colors of the school so you have to choose sashing colors that are a bit different. I created an MIT SAE quilt that incorporated a purplish/gold batik as the sashing since the shirts were mostly maroon and grey.

A t-shirt block does incorporate a lot of colors and is usually a bold design but so is a quilt block when you treat it as a whole vs. lots of individual pieces.

I've only done three watercolor projects, a wallhanging and 2 vests. That was enough...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to Pi Phi and their 78 new members!