GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,317
2 members and 2,315 guests
TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Inclusion of students with disabilities

Amid all the hoopla about Alabama and Auburn recruitment social media, I saw two posts that deserve more attention. Both UA and AU have programs where students with intellectual disabilities can live on campus, get experience in independent living, take appropriate classes, etc. They are not candidates for 2- or 4-year college degrees.

Instagram shows that students in these programs joined AGD at Alabama and AGD, Chi O, and Pi Phi at Auburn:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSnPkysnPaj/ (4th picture)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSkooCVrzRk/

I'm curious if any Greekchatters know how this inclusion came about or how the Greek system makes it work. Do these students have to go through the whole SEC rush gauntlet, or are there accommodations? Is it an issue that they aren't enrolled in a degree program? This thread from a few years back suggests that certificate candidates aren't eligible for many GLOs: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=244932 Is it possible they are social or honorary new members?

Congrats to these young women who seem very happy on Bid Day.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2021, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I am beyond proud! I can't answer your questions, but I'm so glad you shared those photos!
I do know that Alpha Gam does not have honorary members - a Sister is a Sister.
(There are ninjas with onions in here somewhere)
Old 08-19-2021, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Clemson's had the ClemsonLIFE program for a while now, and I think the first women enrolled in it joined sororities either spring of my senior year or the fall after I'd graduated so I didn't have first hand experience with their inclusion into the Greek system. Here's an article that explains how it works for people who aren't as familiar with the concept. On the fraternity side, when Pi Kapp was rechartering at Clemson while I was there they gave bids to two men in the ClemsonLIFE program whose dads are also Pi Kapp alums. Their story is special to me because I had some friends in the chapter and when I asked one of them about how David and Jacob were treated in the chapter he said "They're just my brothers. We don't see them any differently."

On the logistics side, I found an article describing Clemson's Sigma Kappa chapter giving bids to women in the program that says they attend Sisterhood round (round 3) and Pref only. I remember that when my chapter gave a bid to a woman in ClemsonLIFE Panhellenic had a separate, smaller bid day before the main bid day celebration just for the program participants and some women from their chapters, probably because the big celebration is really loud and overwhelming.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Tennessee also had its first set of Future program students go through recruitment for the first time! There was a video of the PNMs getting their bids on Tik Tok.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-19-2021, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

it is my understanding from a local post at Auburn that they went thru regular recruitment process.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I was told that they went to parties before each session that only had the girls from their program. I believe they got to choose their group themselves.

The new members only go to certain events--nothing that would overwhelm them.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
it is my understanding from a local post at Auburn that they went thru regular recruitment process.
Do all get bids somehow, even if those not part of the program don't always get bids? The article says they participated in recruitment like all students/those not part of the program... but that sounds like going through the motions without the risk of not getting a bid.

I like the idea of the program, but, as someone with a disability (several) myself, I can't help but see it as part publicity and part inclusion.

What about students with less visible disabilities (like me)? What about those not in the program but who have disabilities at the college and no chance of a bid? Are there ample protocols to make sure there's no bullying later down the line? I've been bullied a lot in my life. Do they know they will for sure get a bid and does that take away from it or make *any* of them feel like it's a charity bid?

I don't want inclusion of disabilities in greek life to only happen at 2 campuses and so rare that it makes news headlines.

Are these students invited to all events and how does that work? For example, I have autism. Some loud parties would overwhelm me. Someone "more" on the autism spectrum might be spurred to run out of a party and into a street. I would imagine the program has thought these things through. Are these Future program getting the full greek experience? How about a safe one that's tailored to their individual needs? Is the social network as deep as "traditional" students? Is it inclusion or charity/PR? I can't help but keep feel part of the program is about publicity/PR... which probably makes me jaded.

I want to see real, lasting, deep change that makes disability not almost prohibitive to greek life. I was genuinely shocked to get a bid this year myself even though my disabilities are mostly invisible... as autism impacts my social skills enough.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting that you wanted to participate in recruitment and join a sorority despite your autism. Do you have Asperger’s? I have partnered with students with Asperger’s for group projects in college. They would not have been interested in joining a social Greek org. They were def more comfortable in small group settings, esp one on one.

To address your question about tailoring sorority experiences to individual needs- how on earth would that work in chapters of 300+? Are theses students catered to in their classes? As best I can tell, all students had to meet the same class expectations at my school.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-05-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the second year that the women in the Eagles program at Auburn participated in rush. Last year, there were six women who joined Greek Life and they participated in the virtual rush program. From the pictures posted on bid day last year, it looked like they went to the stadium to receive their bids just like the other rushees. I can't remember all of the groups that participated last year, but I know that both Chi O and AOPi had pledges from this group. My niece is an AOPi at Auburn and it is my understanding that their new member participated in all of the activities - I know that I saw pictures of her and her date at the winter formal that her mother had posted on Facebook.

It is my understanding that the groups at Auburn coordinated with their nationals to get approval to participate in this program. I also seem to remember some groups defending themselves for not participating as they didn't have enough time to get the approvals from their national.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Interesting that you wanted to participate in recruitment and join a sorority despite your autism. Do you have Asperger’s? I have partnered with students with Asperger’s for group projects in college. They would not have been interested in joining a social Greek org. They were def more comfortable in small group settings, esp one on one.

To address your question about tailoring sorority experiences to individual needs- how on earth would that work in chapters of 300+? Are theses students catered to in their classes? As best I can tell, all students had to meet the same class expectations at my school.
Everyone longs for social support and interaction in some fashion or amount, autism or not. It is asperger's/"high-functioning" autism that I have.

Having asperger's doesn't make me not want love and friendship like everyone or most everyone on earth does, though I do need breaks from noise/people/etc. and more often than many people do.

Different people with asperger's have different levels of social interaction, social desire, and social comfort levels. Some people with autism don't want to be bothered by anyone at any time, not one-on-one nor with a group. Other people with autism want some social activities, then want to retreat home to a quiet space afterwards. Some people with autism want one-on-one interaction while some people with autism find one-on-one interaction harder than group interaction because of individual eye contact being hard. Group settings can be easier since there's no one-on-one eye contact in all scenarios. Other people with autism have other needs or desires. And some want to be in social groups or greek life because they want to feel like everyone else or fit in... when they/we don't fit in much in a variety of ways in life.

Yes, some classes/colleges do offer support services for those with disabilities. I know someone who is deaf and was provided an ASL interpreter. I'm not sure who paid for interpreters. Another had the university shuttle help her get to class as she was a wheelchair user. Colleges also offer private testing rooms for those with disabilities in need of it.

My question about tailoring sorority experiences is wondering if they have any sort of supervision for, say, a student with autism who is known to run (into streets, across lawns, etc.) if overwhelmed. Or a deaf student who needs an ASL interpreter. Or those who have a hard time finding houses or has mobility needs, is there a shuttle or some sort of consideration? Not everyone can live or get around independently, depending on need level, so some students with disabilities might need some level of support to get to or participate in some activities.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I highly doubt that sororities have money for all those extras.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don’t think sororities would be able to provide those services. As private organizations they would not be required to do so. Making facilities accessible for a wheelchair bound sister is different than providing an ALS interpreter. We had a deaf sister when I was in college. She could read lips and was a great rusher. She lived in a dorm that provided accommodations for the deaf.