GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,164
0 members and 2,164 guests
No Members online

Old 05-09-2021, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing southern school as a sophomore/junior?

Hi! I just want honest answers and feedback. I am currently a sophomore at community college around Chicago transferring to Texas A&M as an engineering major (so I do have a pretty decent college GPA).
With the way my credits transfer, I will academically be a sophomore again, class of '24. However, I am of junior age.

1. Will I be considered a sophomore or junior?
2. How hard is it to rush as a sophomore at schools like A&M? Is it even worth it?
3. Will a ton of houses drop me just because of my age?
4. Will they cut me some slack since I'm transferring from community college? (Since its not like I chose not to rush.. I didn't even have the opportunity)
5. I don't know anyone in a sorority at A&M, is this gonna hurt me?
6. I also don't know many alumni for letters of rec.. will getting letters of rec from my local alumni association be enough?

I know southern sororities can be more cutthroat (than the ones up here) and if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it right and be prepared!! All my friends went to school right away and are in sororities and they love it. I don't want to feel like just because I went a different path that I can't still be apart of it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

We don't know anything about you but all you can do is rush and see what happens! Good luck!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

You will be considered whatever class the school says you are.

Your friends who are members of sororities may be able to assist you by writing recs for you or connecting you with an alum who could. Several sororities are changing their rec policies, which may work in your favor.

Chicago should be an easy place to find sorority alums.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I second what FSUZeta said....get the recs, sign up for recruitment. You won't know till you try...
Old 05-09-2021, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas A&M also has a chapter of Phi Sigma Rho that may be of interest to you.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyo View Post
Hi! I just want honest answers and feedback. I am currently a sophomore at community college around Chicago transferring to Texas A&M as an engineering major (so I do have a pretty decent college GPA).
With the way my credits transfer, I will academically be a sophomore again, class of '24. However, I am of junior age.

1. Will I be considered a sophomore or junior?
2. How hard is it to rush as a sophomore at schools like A&M? Is it even worth it?
3. Will a ton of houses drop me just because of my age?
4. Will they cut me some slack since I'm transferring from community college? (Since its not like I chose not to rush.. I didn't even have the opportunity)
5. I don't know anyone in a sorority at A&M, is this gonna hurt me?
6. I also don't know many alumni for letters of rec.. will getting letters of rec from my local alumni association be enough?

I know southern sororities can be more cutthroat (than the ones up here) and if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it right and be prepared!! All my friends went to school right away and are in sororities and they love it. I don't want to feel like just because I went a different path that I can't still be apart of it.
The Chicago Panhellenic used to help PNMs with recs, but I'm not sure what's going on, with the changes lately. I can contact our Panhellenic representative, and see what's going on. Feel free to PM me.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Just say you identify as a freshman.

You're welcome.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I’m very familiar with that campus. It’s very competitive but not quite Arkansas / Ole Miss competitive. All chapters are strong and thriving and it will be to your benefit to be open to EVERY chapter on campus! Cannot stress that enough. You will have a very tough rush if you get attached to a few select chapters.

1. Your year is based on class credits. So if you are a sophomore based on credits, make sure you put Class of ‘2024 / Sophomore on EVERYTHING - Rec packets, Registration form, etc.

2. There is an Upperclassmen quota so you are not “competing” with freshmen for the same spots. All houses take sophomores; it’s more difficult after that.

3. Control what you can control:
* Freshman GPA - the higher, the more options you will have. 3.6+ *should* keep you out of grade risk territory coming from a community college.

* Get Recs! People who know you are 100x better than a random one. Work all your connections!! Teachers, neighbors, friends parents, your parents’ friends, friends who went to Panhellenic campuses their freshmen year, families you babysat for, etc. If you find one, keep going - “ hi Mrs. DG, I’m still looking for a ZTA and KKG rec, do you know any of their alumnae that I might also know from our high school / church / town”?

* Make sure to include all of your high school accomplishments on your registration form & in your Rec packets. Sometimes upperclassmen only include their freshman’s year activities and miss out on the chance to highlight the leadership positions, honors, awards, community service, etc from high school.

* Attend T Camp (Transfer Camp). The earliest session should have some Greek women serving as counselors. This is a GREAT way for PNM’s with no connections to make some! Mention to everyone you meet there that you’re rushing- you never know who has a roommate, sibling, etc that is Greek and they will want to tell their Greek friends about this awesome Chicago girl going through rush. Cannot tell you how many of our actives come back from being Fish Camp / T Camp counselors with “rush crushes”.

Good luck!!
Old 05-20-2021, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as junior 30 years ago-wow I am old!�� I know things have changed a great deal but I am so glad I took the chance. I rushed with several junior friends and we all found our homes. I do think you have to be more open minded if you are not a freshman but still so worth it! Good Luck and Gig’em !

PS-definitely go to transfer camp-you will meet a ton of people. I went to fish camp and had the time of my life and met so many people I had friendships with throughout my undergrad. years.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I was try to edit to add something else but it would not let me post it. Anyways, if you decide to go to transfer camp make sure the dates do not interfere with recruitment.
This happened to several people I knew in fish camp causing them to drop out of recruitment. I am not sure when transfer camp happens?? it may be before fish camp.