GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,446
0 members and 2,446 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2002, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Rush during September 11?

What do yall think of schools having Rush during the week that September 11st falls on? And if you are, how are they doing it? I can't imagine us having an event on that day. On that day I wana be home with my family, glued to the television... not in a room trying to recruit new members. No offense to those going thru Rush, I just couldn't sit there talking to a girl about how great my sorority is when back in my mind I'll be thinking "I wish I was at home so I could watch all the memorials."

What does everyone else think?

KLTC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2002, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Sept 11

We won't be having recruitment during that week, in fact we won't be having a fall recruitment at all.....but if your recruitment does happen to fall on September 11th, perhaps you can tie it in somehow to your party. You could have a red, white and blue theme to the party, or you could hold a tribute of some kind to those who lost their lives (or risked their lives) in the tragedy... Let's see....the party itself would depend more upon what type of event it is....is this going to be formal recruitment for you and if so, which party will fall on this day??? Let me know and I'll try to help you figure out some more ways to feel as though you are still observing the anniversary of the day. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2002, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
My sorority will be holding informal recruitment that week but I specifically did not plan an event for that night. I felt it would be disrespectful to the victims and their families to hold anything that night.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Slightly off-topic sidenote: I know someone who starts classes on Sept. 11...IMO-VERY bad taste!

P.S. I think our may fall during that time period, but I'm not really sure
Old 07-27-2002, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I remember last year our recruitment and NPC's bid day was supposed to fall on Sept 11th. All the events were cancelled of course because campus is closed. This year it all starts afterward. But if it happens to fall on Sept 11, have your girls have a candle lighting ceremony or moment of silence. That's what we did on our bid day cuz it fell on the National Memorial Day. And make the event itself optional if you absolutly have to have an event that day... for PNM and actives.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Melliebea Send a message via Yahoo to Melliebea
the events of september 11 were indeed tragic, but as i am sure that you are all aware of.. terrorism is indeed a tactic to force one way of life to alter and change, and by forever keeping sept 11 as a day that everyone does go on with their lives, reverent, humble, and ever reminded, I feel will be suffiecient enough to prove that what ever was intended, whether it be fear or alteration, will not be achieved in the world. I think that day should be one of reflections, if by chance that day falls on a rush day.,.. be reminded of what we all joined a greek organization for, the betterment of mankind, for friendship and above all, to appreciate the immense potential that one person can achieve.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Our rush starts on the ninth, but I'd be surprised if there was an actual rush event on the 11th -- it just seems too tacky. At the same time, though, I don't think I'll be spending the night watching the television "memorials" which seem, to me, equally tacky.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with Melliebea. I'd rather not say more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Melliebea
terrorism is indeed a tactic to force one way of life to alter and change, and by forever keeping sept 11 as a day that everyone does go on with their lives, reverent, humble, and ever reminded, I feel will be suffiecient enough to prove that what ever was intended, whether it be fear or alteration, will not be achieved in the world.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to douthit Send a message via Yahoo to douthit
Rush at Montana State for both fraternities and sororities is the week beginning September 9th, and I am almost certain that there will not be a rush event on the 11th. Instead our campus is holding some type of memorial, and I think the Greek system will be playing a big role in the setup and running of it.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Our first day of rush last year was Sept. 11th and the events still continued because of posssible conflicts with reserving a new room etc., but looking back, I really wish we didn't have it on that day and this year we will definately schedule for a different day.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Our rush last year fell on the weekend after September 11. Many of the sororities had to change some of the decorations and such that they had for their parties, but at each round and each house there was a moment of silence to honor all those who were affected by September 11. It's been arranged this year so that the anniversary is not affected at all!

Old 07-28-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We originally had recruitment events on the 11th. My sisters decided that they would write a letter to our PHC 2nd VP Recruitment and our Coordinator of Greek Affairs saying that we should skip that day, so our Recruitment is now from Sept 10 - Sept 14th....skipping Sept 11th. We've been looking into holding a memorial service on campus for everyone who cannot go home or be with their families during that time.