GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,765
0 members and 2,765 guests
No Members online

Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Chapter/Alum Relations Help

Hi,

My chapter currently has very little connection with our alums as we are a relatively new chapter of our sorority and our alum chapter just recently formed in the last couple years. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for strengthening chapter-alum relationships. I'd be thrilled to hear about any successful strategies and ideas from both actives and alums!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitterBug26 View Post
Hi,

My chapter currently has very little connection with our alums as we are a relatively new chapter of our sorority and our alum chapter just recently formed in the last couple years. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for strengthening chapter-alum relationships. I'd be thrilled to hear about any successful strategies and ideas from both actives and alums!
Talk to the E-board and see what they might like to do together.

Invite them to Initiation, Founder's day, chapter philanthropy events, help with recruitment (behind the scenes), or have a coffee & cake type reception or "afternoon tea" during homecoming weekend. There are so many options.

Perhaps they might want to invite the chapter to an alumnae-sponsored event, depending on the size of your chapter. Let them know that you are interested in building the relationship. I think it's a win-win all around!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a newsletter yet? Keeping alum in the loop really helps with relations.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Are seniors encouraged to join the local alumnae chapter upon graduation? Does the alumnae chapter sponsor a senior banquet or tea to welcome seniors to alumnae status? Those things can help. My chapter of initiation has strong ties with its local alum chapter. The alums are matched as alum chums each year with NMs to write letters to them before initiation and buy them a small gift. We actually include chapter alums from across the entire country. The goal is to show them the lifelong commitment that AOIIs have to our organization before they get initiated.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
The goal is to show them the lifelong commitment that AOIIs have to our organization before they get initiated.
This.

If the alumnae group has a Facebook and/or Twitter page, post updates to it. Share the results from rush. If you have a house, post pictures of the rooms. But most alumnae will never attend a pledging or initiation after she graduates unless she supports a colony. It would be a really nice thing to invite them and remind them of the secret parts of the membership that are no longer done outside of the collegiate experience. Unfortunately, it's gotta be on you to do the inviting. They're not going to invite themselves to participate in these rituals.