GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,347
2 members and 2,345 guests
navane

Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Badges on eBay

Anybody know anything about this badge?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Says it's c. 1900...and it could be, I guess...but the owner offers no proof...

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post

I don't know...I'm not a Delta Gamma, so anyone who knows better may freely correct me, but it doesn't look like a Delta Gamma badge. There's no DG, there's no rope, there's no Tau Delta Eta, there's no information on the back; if I stumbled across this badge Delta Gamma is not the first thing I would think of. It's pretty, but no proof makes me suspicious.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post

I've seen it too. I think it's a period piece of jewelry that has no connection to DG. I've seen badges from the late 1800's and early 1900's and they have always had our shield, TDH, and rope (unless it was broken).
Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

God knows that site makes terrible mistakes. Did you see the linked pictures of the Alpha Epsilon Delta pledge pins that include a Tri Delta pin? Niiiiice.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
I've seen it too. I think it's a period piece of jewelry that has no connection to DG. I've seen badges from the late 1800's and early 1900's and they have always had our shield, TDH, and rope (unless it was broken).
That's what I'm thinking, too. I know girls had local jewelers make their badges in the early years, but this really only has the anchor, no other symbolism in common.

I'd be more inclined to believe it's an actual badge if the owner had offered some sort of history of the badge, especially who owned it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Agreed.

I'm part of the facebook group formed to try to ensure greekchatters aren't bidding against one another on these rescue badges. That one hasn't even been mentioned.

I saw one badge a couple of months ago that was silver in color, with clear stones. The seller did not say white gold, with diamonds. What was really intriguing about it was the rope was backward; it went / over the TDH bar instead of \. (PM me for a link) I couldn't afford what it would go for in white gold with diamonds, and got outbid with what I was willing to spend on spec.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I sent the seller a message...
Old 11-22-2013, 04:16 PM
ProudDGMom

Not Ebay but Etsy

Deleted per request.

Last edited by ProudDGMom; 11-22-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: AZTheta Requested I delete per rules.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
(URL snipped}

I've learned a lot from the facebook group. Like the Wilson Brothers often way overpricing their merchandise. This one has been listed on ebay several times without commanding the outrageous price they're asking. The original owner is not famous, and the badge is plain, so there's really no reason to pay $600 for it. This seller will hang on to it for years rather than come down on his price.

Last edited by DGTess; 11-22-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 PM
ProudDGMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Hi, you're new here. FWI - We don't post links to ongoing auctions or items for sale. Would you please delete your post? As soon as you do I'll delete the QFP.
Done sorry for the error. Thought people here wanted to know so that others (non fraternity) would not buy them.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudDGMom View Post
Done sorry for the error. Thought people here wanted to know so that others (non fraternity) would not buy them.
The problem is that non fraternity people can see it and are then directed to the sale.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
The problem is that non fraternity people can see it and are then directed to the sale.
But no non member would ever be so stupid as to even THINK about buying anything from those wackos!!!

I think "new to GC" members should be enlightened about the ridiculousness of that "seller"!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

It really is so sad to see badges that are randomly put up for sale!!! Many thanks to those who do rescues!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
But no non member would ever be so stupid as to even THINK about buying anything from those wackos!!!

I think "new to GC" members should be enlightened about the ridiculousness of that "seller"!
Maybe some not-new to GC folks, too. I have no idea what y'all are talking about. Granted, I'm not into buying badges—perhaps if I were, I'd know the story here.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Maybe some not-new to GC folks, too. I have no idea what y'all are talking about. Granted, I'm not into buying badges—perhaps if I were, I'd know the story here.
I actually had never seen the website until the link (which has now been removed) was posted here… but basically, there was a plain badge for sale for $600. That's a lot of money, even for a completely blinged out badge from 100 years ago.

@~/~~~~