GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,474
0 members and 2,474 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2009, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Texas recruitment question

Hi. I am wondering if I should try to discourage my daughter from attending UT next fall. I have read the horror stories about how difficult it is to receive a bid at UT. My daughter is a great girl, she has great grades, good activities, and she is a legacy to my sorority but I did not attend UT. I mean, I am her mother, so I think she’s great, but I’m sure that every other mother with a daughter rushing at UT feels the same way.
Also, we live far from UT and there aren’t many girls from our geographical region that attend UT. My daughter's HS isn't large or well-known. She did not attend summer camp anywhere. She doesn’t really know many girls that attend UT right now. .
I can still remember when I went through rush and there was a girl in my group that didn’t get a bid. It was horrible! I feel like if she went to any of the other universities she’s interested in, she’d receive a bid without any problems. It is really important to her to become a sorority member. She’s grown up with all of my wonderful memories, and she has friends active in sororities at other universities…
I guess if there was a problem, she could rush as a sophomore, but then again, I don’t know how sophomores fare in rush at UT…Any suggestions? Also I was wondering what is a COB?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Has she been accepted yet? And does she really want to go through recruitment at UT?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Also I feel like I have to say, whether she choices to go should be entirely up to her.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Some reading material for you (Texas threads):

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=Texas

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimom View Post
Also I was wondering what is a COB? [/SIZE]
COB = Continuous Open Bidding. Without getting too detailed, it is rushing that occurs outside of formal rush for sororities that don't make total.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

If she will only accept bids to CERTAIN groups then I would suggest she go elsewhere.
If the sorority is more important than the education she will receive? Then I suggest she go elsewhere.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Does UT participate in COB?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi. I am wondering if I should try to discourage my daughter from attending UT next fall. I have read the horror stories about how difficult it is to receive a bid at UT. My daughter is a great girl, she has great grades, good activities, and she is a legacy to my sorority but I did not attend UT. I mean, I am her mother, so I think she’s great, but I’m sure that every other mother with a daughter rushing at UT feels the same way.
Also, we live far from UT and there aren’t many girls from our geographical region that attend UT. My daughter's HS isn't large or well-known. She did not attend summer camp anywhere. She doesn’t really know many girls that attend UT right now. .
I can still remember when I went through rush and there was a girl in my group that didn’t get a bid. It was horrible! I feel like if she went to any of the other universities she’s interested in, she’d receive a bid without any problems. It is really important to her to become a sorority member. She’s grown up with all of my wonderful memories, and she has friends active in sororities at other universities…
I guess if there was a problem, she could rush as a sophomore, but then again, I don’t know how sophomores fare in rush at UT…Any suggestions? Also I was wondering what is a COB?
How does she feel about the school? I love being in a sorority but *gasp* Greek life isn't everything. There are other important aspects of college.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezeeUNLV View Post
I've read over all the threads about the University of Texas and their recruitment process, and for some reason it really bothers me. First and foremost, the thing that sparks my interest is that my boyfriend goes to UT for Graduate School and I'm finishing up my senior year of undergraduate, obviously involved with Greek Life at my school. I was just curious about Greek Life in UT in general, but it seems that most of the threads I came across are about recruitment. Now I'm sure I am biased to some degree, since I come from a relatively small school with an even smaller Greek Life; I didn't even know recommendation letters existed for those who were interested in Panhellenic Sororities. It just seems to me that level-headed, great girls come onto these boards very excited about recruitment and end up getting heart broken. From what I have read, in order to be successful you need recommendation letters, grown up in a town that the sorority prefers, went to a reputable high school and whether or not there was "hype" about you before recruitment. It seems to me that little of the reason why they choose to give you a bid is based on the fact that they like you as a person and enjoyed talking to you. It just seems to me that UT Greek Life encompasses everything that Greek Life shouldn't be. It shouldn't be extremely exclusive, it should be open to most women who would be good assets, have great values, fit in with the sisters etc. It seems so political. I'm not trying to be rude whatsoever, but from a curious outsiders perspective this is what I have made of all the threads. I have a few questions for those who are at UT and are involved in their Greek Life.

From what I understand dirty rushing plays a big role pre-recruitment. How does Panhellenic allow this? The only justification I can think of is that UT is a school of tradition. I can imagine that for years and years dirty rushing has been taking place and no one does anything to stop it, because it's a tradition. Maybe it's more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing? Is it allowed? Or is it just something that everyone does so it just makes it right? Again, not trying to be rude, I'm just curious.

What are the "Big 6" sororities?

How many girls register for recruitment and drop before receiving a bid? Or how many girls don't get asked back to any chapters after the first day (or more than one day since there are quite a few chapters-- I wouldn't know, I come from a smaller school!)

Those are my main questions. I also have a very very random question, that might seem a little funny.

I was in Texas to visit my boyfriend, and we went over to the campus so he could show me around and give a mini-tour. First off, beautiful campus-- a lot different than mine, but regardless, it's beautiful. When I was on campus I noticed a lot of girls wearing the exact same thing. Nike shorts, baggy t-shirt and running shoes (I think you call them cross trainers?) Seriously, every girl. Is this a trend? It was just weird seeing all these girls wearing the same type of shorts. It was a huge culture shock to say the least, especially since I rarely wear any type of sweats or work out shorts to school. Always dress to impress! It was just weird to me. Is it just a trend? Is it for comfort? Are you going to work out after class and wore those shorts/baggy tshirt so you wouldn't have to change? I know, this is a really weird question but I was really curious.

Thanks in advance for the replies. Hook 'em!
I'll try not to be a total b*tch because this is your first post, but seriously, stay in your lane. Why do you assume you know anything about UT recruitment just because of what you read on the internet? UNLV and UT have very different Greek systems. Don't compare apples to oranges.

You'll notice my only comment didn't say ANYTHING about Greek life there because I don't know very much about it.

Last edited by LucyKKG; 11-03-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
] It just seems to me that level-headed, great girls come onto these boards very excited about recruitment and end up getting heart broken. From what I have read, in order to be successful you need recommendation letters, grown up in a town that the sorority prefers, went to a reputable high school and whether or not there was "hype" about you before recruitment.

From what I understand dirty rushing plays a big role pre-recruitment.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:
]Nike shorts, baggy t-shirt and running shoes (I think you call them cross trainers?) Seriously, every girl. Is this a trend?
Yes, it is a trend. Mostly for sorority girls but it is pretty widespread.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You should encourage your daughter to go to the school that will offer her the best education!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Does UT participate in COB?
COB is a decision made individually by each sorority. If they are at total, they cannot participate. At a school like UT where Greek life is very popular it's one of those things you should not count on happening.

Hope that helps. Props to you, by the way, for your self-aware username.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
You should encourage your daughter to go to the school that will offer her the best education!
This. Greek Life should be an afterthought. Get into the best school you can. There are plenty of networking opportunities with and without being in a sorority. Especially at UT.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
UNLT and UT have very different Greek systems. Don't compare apples to oranges.
THIS^^

But, to answer your curious question:

Quote:
Nike shorts, baggy t-shirt and running shoes (I think you call them cross trainers?)
No, in Texas, we call them "tennis shoes" whether we ever step foot on a court or not.

Quote:
Is this a trend?
Yes, just like when I was in school and we wore shirts with peter pan collars that buttoned up the back, and skirts with cumberbunds. We also wore sweats with our letters on our butts, and that was for comfort, but I'm sure my mom thought I looked like a slob.

To the opening poster: UT has so many things to offer besides Greek life, especially a fantastic education, so I would not dissuade my child from going just because of recruitment.

And, while there are girls who are heartbroken (just like there are at the many other competitive schools/Greek wise), there are many who find a home who have come from small towns, or unknown highschools. I know a TON of girls who fit that bill at UT, so it is not a lost cause before it's even begun.

Good luck to your daughter.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

But do keep in mind that she will need recs - 2 min for each group...even yours!