GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
No Members online

Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Frills Bid Day

Hi All,

I was wondering today what all of your Bid Days were like? How much would your chapter spend on an activity or your new member Bid Day gifts?

My chapter would go to Disneyland or a home football game (if it worked out), or bowling, etc, which can get really pricey. And we'd usually get the new members between $30-50 worth of stuff.

How all-out would your chapters go?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Hi All,

My chapter would go to Disneyland

All i can say is how jelous i am!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get to go that year, I had work instead :/
Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Well we give the girls a rose from pref night, an alpha gam book bag, and a bid day shirt.

One year we had our bid activity at a park, then we went to the zoo one year, and last year we had a bbq at a sisters house.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea for no frills recruitment! I hate it!

I see the point, but I still hate it!

At last years bid day, we gave the new members a bid day shirt, a cool Theta bag with the university and chapter name on it filled of a bunch of candy, Theta Stuff, and bid day theme items.
We then week downtown to eat lunch on the landing of a restaurant on the river, and then saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's" at the historic Florida Theater.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through COB, but I still think we received around the same things as formal recruitment bid days.

I received a Bid Day shirt, my Pi Phi letter bag, a cup, ink pen, sticky notes, car decal, and some flowers. Not to mention a ton of candy and baked goods! After, we all went to Steak n Shake to just get to know each other since our pledge class was so small.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I didn't know that some schools regulated bid day. At our school what the chapters do with their new members is none of our business nor concern as long as they aren't violating anything like hazing. Recruitment is over. Most of them just serve food, but if they wanted to rent a castle and have a carnival with live alligators in the moat or something like that we don't dictate spending, etc. b/c that's chapter business.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I didn't know that some schools regulated bid day. At our school what the chapters do with their new members is none of our business nor concern as long as they aren't violating anything like hazing. Recruitment is over. Most of them just serve food, but if they wanted to rent a castle and have a carnival with live alligators in the moat or something like that we don't dictate spending, etc. b/c that's chapter business.
Bid Day is officially part of recruitment, according to NPC. No boys or alcohol allowed. I don't believe the OP was talking about schools regulating spending, though...I think she was just wondering what chapters traditionally do for bid day and how ellaborate they make their gifts.

When I was a collegiate in the L.A. area, we went to dinner (my bid day was at Ed Debevik's, which is sadly no longer in L.A.), broom ball, roller skating, or s'mores on the beach. We usually gave new members little totes with car decals, a cup, keychain, photo frame, bid day tshirt, and of course a pink carnation!
Old 06-14-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the day we would have a brunch at the chapter house (as bids were usually passed out around 11am/Noon). New Members were given an AXiD t-shirt and sweatshirt, and some of AXiD gear (cup, decal, stickers, etc), plus maybe a teddy bear and some candy or something.

The afternoon was spent helping New Members move in (to the chapter house, as on our campus all chapters are housed), then there was usually a BBQ at a park or beach for dinner.

Also, our Bid Day decoration budget was restricted by our Panhellenic, as it's thought to be still part of Recruitment, but that was not the case for the activities we did away from the chapter house.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Our Bid Day was actually Bid Night - starting around 7pm (I think?). Since this was before many of the current rules, most sororities on campus had basically the same schedule:

-Pick up bids.
-Go to Suite or House (screaming, singing & squealing here!).
-Once everyone was accounted for, we'd go into the stairwell (nine sororities were in the same dorm), and both stomp & count the number of pledges we took. That sorority, would in turn, do the same to the 8th floor, etc.
-Pledging Ceremony. We were given both the pledge pin AND ribbons in our colors.
-Phi Delta Theta would send their pledges with carnations tied in our colors, and have "Kiss and Carnations". A welcoming poem was read, then the pledges would take turns kissing and giving each pledge a carnation.
-Pictures, pictures, and more pictures!
-Then, all of the sisters & new pledges would go to a hall for an All Greek Mixer. This was both wonderful and horrific. It was good to see who went where, but there were also tears from sisters who had rush crushes go to another sorority.
-Not part of Bid Night, but the next day, every new pledge wore their ribbons & pledge pins. Actually, we had to wear the ribbons for a week, and the pledge pins for our entire pledge period, not just when wearing Pin Attire.

Note that I don't mention t-shirts! Some sororities did give them out on Bid Day, but many didn't until Christmas exchange, which was only 2-3 weeks later. It had nothing to do with wearing letters, or the words, but it had everything to do with NOT wearing a t-shirt for the first few weeks as a Greek. You were to be "well dressed" at all times during those first weeks.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=honeychile;1668168]-Then, all of the sisters & new pledges would go to a hall for an All Greek Mixer. This was both wonderful and horrific. It was good to see who went where, but there were also tears from sisters who had rush crushes go to another sorority.
QUOTE]

That DOES sound both awesome and awful, not to mention it would save a ton of money for the chapters and regulate issues like alcohol more strictly.

Were all women required to go to the event, or were PNMs who were really upset allowed to stay behind with a few actives at the chapter house?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
-Then, all of the sisters & new pledges would go to a hall for an All Greek Mixer. This was both wonderful and horrific. It was good to see who went where, but there were also tears from sisters who had rush crushes go to another sorority.
That DOES sound both awesome and awful, not to mention it would save a ton of money for the chapters and regulate issues like alcohol more strictly.

Were all women required to go to the event, or were PNMs who were really upset allowed to stay behind with a few actives at the chapter house?
ASAIK, there weren't any horribly disappointed PNMs. I'm sure there were a few, but the whole concept was Greek Unity, so everyone bucked up and at least acted happy. I think there were many more disappointed sisters than PNMs. I do remember one sorority only taking one PNM, though, and the whole chapter elected to stay in their suite and celebrate on their own. I can't say that I blame them - it's bad enough to have all the other sororities to know that you tanked rush, but to have all the fraternities know that quickly? I'd avoid that embarrassment, too!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Ouch. I don't blame them, either.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM

My chapter opted to BBQ at our house, take our pictures, and just eat and hang out. The new girls got a Bid Day shirt and tote filled with a car decal, a cup, some pens/pencils, a keychain, and some other small things.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

For my bid day, we got picked up in a limo at our dorms then were driven to the house. We had hour'derves and had our pledge pinning ceremony. Then we were free to do whatever we wanted. A lot of us went and got ice cream with the older sisters then went back to the house to watch a movie and sleep over.

We got a carnation, bid day shirt, a tote bag, a little pad of paper and pen, and some candy.