GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,187
2 members and 1,185 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat

Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

gamma phi beta at Ohio State

Does anyone know if Gamma Phi has secured housing for this coming year? It is a tough place to secure competitive housing; however, I think there are several houses of groups that left campus (Phi Mu, SDT & some fraternities) but I don't know if they still own them. The housing situation in Columbus is very similar to U. Minn. & the new Chi O chapter there ended up in a dorm.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
Does anyone know if Gamma Phi has secured housing for this coming year? It is a tough place to secure competitive housing; however, I think there are several houses of groups that left campus (Phi Mu, SDT & some fraternities) but I don't know if they still own them. The housing situation in Columbus is very similar to U. Minn. & the new Chi O chapter there ended up in a dorm.
They have secured housing for the 2015-16 school year, but they aren't talking as to the location. I have been told that it will be competitive and in a good location. They are expected to announce the location sometime mid fall.

There are several other houses that are not owned by the chapters that currently live in them. On 15th, FIJI is in the ADPi house, Pike is moving into the ZTA house (AOPi moved out). Beta House is currently on-campus housing but from what I'm told, Beta is recolonizing this year and will move back in next year. The old ATO house on Indianola between 16th and 17th (occupied by SK in the early 90s) is in bad shape so that's doubtful.

SDT and Phi Mu are both great locations and those have always been my guess. The old FIJI house on 17th is another possibility.

Next year starts the STEM (Second Year Transformation) Program and from what I'm told, the owners of SDT and Phi Mu houses are worried they won't be able to fill all the rooms and they might be willing to sell.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
There are several other houses that are not owned by the chapters that currently live in them. On 15th, FIJI is in the ADPi house, Pike is moving into the ZTA house (AOPi moved out). Beta House is currently on-campus housing but from what I'm told, Beta is recolonizing this year and will move back in next year. The old ATO house on Indianola between 16th and 17th (occupied by SK in the early 90s) is in bad shape so that's doubtful.

SDT and Phi Mu are both great locations and those have always been my guess. The old FIJI house on 17th is another possibility.

Next year starts the STEM (Second Year Transformation) Program and from what I'm told, the owners of SDT and Phi Mu houses are worried they won't be able to fill all the rooms and they might be willing to sell.
Slight lane swerve, since this is in the Gamma Phi Beta forum, but it continues the thought: Where is AOPi living this year?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Hot off the press tonight....Gamma Phi's home will be E. 15th Street...from the picture, it looked like the address is 43. Apparently this is a great location, but if there's one place I don't know anything about, it's Columbus.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 08-13-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

That was the Phi Sigma Kappa house for many years until they closed in the '70s. Since then it has housed several different fraternities. Great location but not near the standards of the other sororities. I suspect it is strictly an interim choice until something more long-term can be found. Does anyone known why AOPi moved out of the former ZTA house? It, too, is an excellent location, looks good from the outside but may need much work inside. I had assume that ZTA would have made a big push to come back to OSU since they are one of the few sororities which still own their former house.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The house that Gamma Phi is moving into is the old Phi Mu house. Great location! It's between Alpha Chi and Delta Tau Delta and very close to High Street. What I remember from 30 years ago are two things: it's very pink inside (duh!) and the stairs seemed to go on forever since they join the front (newer) and back (older) structure of the house.

AOPi is moving across the street into a house that has been occupied by many different fraternities over the years. I think it's in between the Delts and the Kappas if I remember correctly. Still a great location but I can't tell you much about the house, itself.

Glad to see the Phi Mu house is converting back to another sorority but it tells me that Phi Mu won't bid for extension the next time it opens. However, they no longer own the house so I'm not sure why I just wrote that. The chapters wanted a second extension but Panhel nixed it.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 08-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
Does anyone known why AOPi moved out of the former ZTA house? It, too, is an excellent location, looks good from the outside but may need much work inside. I had assume that ZTA would have made a big push to come back to OSU since they are one of the few sororities which still own their former house.
Zeta House Association has been signing AOPi to 10 year leases and AOPi didn't want to go that long. I'm not sure of the terms of the Pike's lease.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Zeta House Association has been signing AOPi to 10 year leases and AOPi didn't want to go that long. I'm not sure of the terms of the Pike's lease.
Update on what I previously posted regarding the AOPi house. They signed a 10 year lease in their new house and added about $500,000 in improvements over the summer. One of the reasons that they moved is that Zeta might interested in presenting in the next couple of years if OSU opens up for extension.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The Gamma Phi house is just west of the Kappa Kappa Gamma house where ATO has been for the past few years. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9999...3HrGK0KEiA!2e0

During recruitment they had pictures of what it would look like and everyone said it should be very nice.

AOPi is on the corner of 15th and Summit -- this is where Delta Upsilon was when i was in school 30+ years ago. I think ZBT was in it for a while after they lost their house; I believe a few others were in there as well.