GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,560
1 members and 2,559 guests
Joobee

Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I was initiated at U of A and hold nothing but a special place in my heart for the campus and my chapter, but....

You need to focus on your grades and school. Yes, I'm Greek, but life isn't all about being greek. So weird for me to being saying that huh?

I know it is harder for Juniors to get bids than Freshmen, because froshies have 4 years to give to the chapter, but I'm sure it's not unheard of. Heck, our chapter at ASU got a couple of Juniors!

With that being said focus on getting your grades back up and keeping your grades up. Right off that bat, low grades will cause chapters to immediately cut you.

Now, I was a spring rushee and I loved it. I'm not sure I could have handled formal fall (LOL), but I'm not sure how many chapters will actually participate in spring recruitment.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear_down View Post
You know this since you're at Arizona too?
I don't know the answer to this and you don't either. Unless you are vindictive enough to out the OP, nobody here can predict the outcome of her journal.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I don't know the answer to this and you don't either. Unless you are vindictive enough to out the OP, nobody here can predict the outcome of her journal.
Well actually I do know and it has nothing to do with me or vindictiveness, 'k?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry. I've been putting my foot in my mouth all weekend. When I mentioned non-NPC sororities/fraternities, I didn't mean to imply that they were a "consolation prize." I know it sounds like I said that.

What I meant was that the possibility of being in a non-NPC sorority hadn't occurred to me, EVER, until just this weekend. I don't like 'settling' and wouldn't consider joining a club or organization as such. (What I mean, in other words, is that I don't view having the opportunity to join a GLO, any GLO even a non-NPC one, as settling.) I think they are also filled with amazing people who dedicate so much to their campus and to others.

I know that before, I made it sound like some of the sororities I visited weren't worth my time. That's not at all what I meant and it wasn't what I wanted to sound like. I think that having the opportunity to join an organization, made up of such amazing people, and to be a part of such a long tradition and to have the opportunity to give back to campus, is an opportunity to be thankful for and one I would welcome with open arms.

I know in my rush journal I didn't sound quite like that but it was the day I had been rejected, and I was somewhat hurt and disappointed. I have moved on, grown, and thought about it a lot more. I have a different perspective now, and only hope that I can get others to understand that. My opinion is different now... and yes, I NOW realize that I shouldn't have made my journal public. It is a mistake and I wish I could fix it. If I did somehow hurt anybody's feelings I really didn't mean to... it was nowhere near what I wanted and when I was posting, I wasn't even thinking of those possibilities. All I wanted was to give my family a chance to follow my week, and I didn't even consider the possibility that girls at UA could be reading it too.

I realize that it was a mistake. I'm going to work on my GPA and campus involvement, and try to make a difference. I only hope that I haven't done something irreparable, because as lame as it sounds, if I had known better I certainly wouldn't have.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablia View Post

Thanks everyone for your help. What I am getting is to participate in Spring Rush because if I don't I will be wasting a valuable opportunity; To work a LOT on my grades this semester; to get in touch with Greek Life now, to get information; and to not just fixate on the houses I liked a lot last time, but to be openminded again. Is it about right?
Yes. Sounds like you have a game plan and definite direction, and that you've learned quite a bit in a short time period.

I am relieved that the mistakes I made as a college freshman (actually, all the way through college and into my 20s) were not memorialized on anything remotely resembling the Internet. With time, memories fade. I burned a lot of journals and truly awful pictures (the hair! the clothes! Gah!) and do I regret it? No!

good luck to you, and I hope you find a home, whether in a sorority or in another group.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All I wanted was to give my family a chance to follow my week, and I didn't even consider the possibility that girls at UA could be reading it too.
For the record I don't know what you wrote or who may have read it. But every year I see more and more PNMs having their Facebook, MySpace, LiveJournals, whatever pix and comments held against them. I'm fairly confident they thought the exact same way the OP did -- it never occurred to them that other people might read it. When you put something out there on the internet for the world to read, you shouldn't be surprised if the world reads it.

Just in case anyone doesn't know this, many Chapters do internet research on PNMs. Employers do too now days. I've heard of scholarship/grant committees checking out applicants as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everybody for your help, advice, and responses. I just have one more question: What exactly is "once cut, always cut"?
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you everybody for your help, advice, and responses. I just have one more question: What exactly is "once cut, always cut"?
Depending on the chapter and its policies, some chapters do not extend bids to women they've cut before. Example: if they cut you during formal, they are going to cut you again during spring recruitment.

Whether a chapter has a "cut once, cut always" policy isn't public knowledge.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm... ok, thanks! What if I didn't make it to pref night?

Last edited by Sablia; 10-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
hmmm... ok, thatnks! What if I didn't make it to pref night?
Every chapter is different of course, but in general, cut is cut (no matter what round you were cut at).

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, good to know! Thank you for your help!