GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm just going to wait and see who runs, then cast a vote for the least worst one.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-13-2018, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm just going to wait and see who runs, then cast a vote for the least worst one.
That is what I did in the last Election! That is what is SAD!

Look at where we are now?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
I guess now what would be The Ideal Candidate?

Black self made female, has political back ground, Transgender who is Gay?

Did I miss any bases?

I know there has to be some thoughts here, LOL!

I would have said truthful, but that does not seem to fit the profile of any Politicians anymore?
IMO the days of an all white/all male Democrat ticket are over. I would like to see a Warren/Booker ticket in 2016.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I would like to see a real departure from the two party system. More options. The problem is that while they exist, they don't get enough of a foothold. But I think some of the adjacent parties have merit and would hopefully lead to less bitter divisiveness. I'd also like to see more people voting in an educated manner, for the greater good, as opposed to blindly with their party.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I would like to see a real departure from the two party system. More options. The problem is that while they exist, they don't get enough of a foothold. But I think some of the adjacent parties have merit and would hopefully lead to less bitter divisiveness. I'd also like to see more people voting in an educated manner, for the greater good, as opposed to blindly with their party.
#utopia

Ironically, I think this is what most people want, but we're seemingly still far from that happening.

I remember five to six years ago reading many articles that asked the question, "Congress has such a low approval rating, so why do they keep getting re-elected?" I think at the time their approval rating was 10 to 15 percent. There was a poll done before the elections asking people across all the states whether or not they approved of Congress. The vast majority didn't, but of those people, most said they were planning to vote for the incumbent candidate in their own state.

There's this view that as a whole, everything sucks, "but it can't possibly be because of MY politician!" There are numerous reasons why this mentality may exist; I won't hash them all out here. However, as you said, Griffins&Quills, part of that is due to people being uneducated about the candidates (but who has time to keep up with all of them on a local, state, and national level), and another part is straight up party loyalty.

I actually thought, once I found out that this past presidential election would be Clinton vs Trump, that it would be the time for things to turn on their head. Now, though, I feel like 2018 might actually be our best bet. If nothing changes after the debacle that has been this past year, I'm not sure that anything ever will.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-13-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
YES..
Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to see a candidate (of ANY PARTY) remind ALL OF US how much closer we are than far apart. I really feel if we could get a candidate that would stop with all the political party BS, we could show people that politically speaking, we are all (65-75%) much closer than we realize.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post
I would like to see a candidate (of ANY PARTY) remind ALL OF US how much closer we are than far apart. I really feel if we could get a candidate that would stop with all the political party BS, we could show people that politically speaking, we are all (65-75%) much closer than we realize.
It almost seems too easy.

Unfortunately, in regard to Congressional seats and the Presidency, you need a whooooole lot of money (i.e. donations) to run and win. The Republican and Democratic parties can pull in that money, so candidates tend to pick sides and sway in the direction that will get them elected.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
After her speech at the Golden Globes, any thoughts?

Post your ideas!

Can anyone name ANY system with ANY leaders where the lower class will be successful and won't turn the neighborhoods into ghettos?

Immigrants can build tech companies and the lower class can't even build a Big Mac.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsucalsigmakapp View Post

We are not the same. Some people want jobs and Dems want welfare. The American DReam is not to collect welfare or work at Mcdonalds for higher minimum.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoog1 View Post
We are not the same. Some people want jobs and Dems want welfare. The American DReam is not to collect welfare or work at Mcdonalds for higher minimum.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-28-2018, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can anyone name ANY system with ANY leaders where the lower class will be successful and won't turn the neighborhoods into ghettos?

Immigrants can build tech companies and the lower class can't even build a Big Mac.
It appears that we have a new troll in our midst....
Old 11-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It appears that we have a new troll in our midst....

Can you answer the question? Do you like failing at life or do you want solutions?

Can you name ANY system where the poor will be successful and wont turn the neighborhoods into ghettos?

IF you can name the system then I will support it. WE can use it in your neighborhood and you can own the results. No more excuses.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can you answer the question? Do you like failing at life or do you want solutions?

Can you name ANY system where the poor will be successful and wont turn the neighborhoods into ghettos?

IF you can name the system then I will support it. WE can use it in your neighborhood and you can own the results. No more excuses.
Thanks for that non information troll.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay—I’ll bite....You’re LIVING in a place where the “poor” were able to be successful—the thousands of ragged immigrants who came at the turn of the century and became policemen in Boston and Philly, shopkeepers and tailors in NYC and steelworkers in suburbs of Cleveland and Chicago. They lived in overcrowded and sometimes shabby apartments and rooming houses in “ethnic”neighborhoods (ghettos?) where they eventually built homes and businesses. They became the middle class when workers organized and they finally were paid a living wage that allowed them to have benefits and pensions and soon become consumers of autos and electronics—which then stimulated more growth.

Yes, yes I know you’re referring to a racial stereotype—your descriptions and use of “ghettos” makes that clear. Here on GREEKCHAT we don’t traffic in insults or put folks down for their race, religion, sexuality or socioeconomic place in life.

So crawl back under your bridge...and spread your nastiness elsewhere.