GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Delta Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,481
0 members and 2,481 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2015, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon the crash, but if y'all can publicly share the information I was wondering how Tri Delta decides how to name chapters? It looks like there's some sort of order to it but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is! And if y'all can't I obviously understand
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If I remember correctly, we started with the single-letter chapters first, then Delta _____, Alpha _____, Theta ____, and Phi ______. (Based on this list, there seems to have been some overlap with the Deltas, Alphas and Thetas, but I think the original intention was to go roughly in that order.) Those are all significant letters to us. After those chapters were filled, we went back to where we left off in the Greek alphabet, back to Beta _____, then Gamma _____, etc., and now we're up to the Epsilons. I have no idea where Omega Delta came from!

My question: It seems like every other NPC sorority has been exploding in growth over the past five years. Have we really not added a new chapter in that time period? I know there have been a handful of recolonizations, which is awesome--IMO it's where our colonization energy should be if there's a limit to what we can do, and I know there is--but it just seems strange in the context of this massive system-wide growth otherwise.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking at IrishPipes' thread, there was Towson, Creighton and Chapman were all new chapters.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
If I remember correctly, we started with the single-letter chapters first, then Delta _____, Alpha _____, Theta ____, and Phi ______. (Based on this list, there seems to have been some overlap with the Deltas, Alphas and Thetas, but I think the original intention was to go roughly in that order.) Those are all significant letters to us. After those chapters were filled, we went back to where we left off in the Greek alphabet, back to Beta _____, then Gamma _____, etc., and now we're up to the Epsilons. I have no idea where Omega Delta came from!
I think it is regional. I noticed that the Alpha chapters are on the east coast, the Deltas in the mid-west and Thetas are in the West.

Quote:
My question: It seems like every other NPC sorority has been exploding in growth over the past five years. Have we really not added a new chapter in that time period? I know there have been a handful of recolonizations, which is awesome--IMO it's where our colonization energy should be if there's a limit to what we can do, and I know there is--but it just seems strange in the context of this massive system-wide growth otherwise.
Yes, I agree. The only colonizations since 2010 have been Miami Ohio & Boise State. As of right now our only future colonization is Quinnipiac in 2017 and we just presented at Washington University in St. Louis.

Life Loyal
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
, , , I have no idea where Omega Delta came from! . . .
Oh gee. I looked it up, and found something. According to the 1988 History of Delta Delta Delta, p. 27:

“When the first two charters were granted, Delta was given to Iowa State and Delta Deuteron to Simpson. Contrary to expectation, the chapter at Simpson was initiated first, but the names remained unchanged . . . . When anti-fraternity legislation forced the Iowa State chapter off the campus, the name Delta eventually was transferred to Simpson, and when Iowa State was reinstalled in 1912, it was permitted to keep the name of the petitioning local, Omega Delta.”
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Oregon

Tri Delta has had a successful return to the University of Oregon.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendelta View Post
Yes, I agree. The only colonizations since 2010 have been Miami Ohio & Boise State. As of right now our only future colonization is Quinnipiac in 2017 and we just presented at Washington University in St. Louis.
A bit late to the game...but my two cents...

I wonder how many of the other sororities are starting completely new chapters vs re-colonizations as well. The statistic hunter in me would love to see the NPC data and compare our growth vs others.
Thinking back to my own colony days, I seem to remember that Tri Delta has a preference (policy?) for recolonizing inactive chapters. I'd be interested to see if this is true. For example, let's say 10 universities in a given year are open to expansion, and of those 10, 6 have inactive chapters. Is it the expansion committee's decision to pursue those 6 and not the others? Kind of like how legacies had to be invited to the second round in the past? Or is each expansions evaluated on its own merits? Things to ponder...
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

We have presented at numerous colleges ( Conneticut, Louieville, Nevada Las Vegas are a few of the ones I know of ) in the past couple of years, but we have not been selected .
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Presentations

We have two presentations this month think positive thoughts for our extension team!

The Connecticut presentation was successful. We will be colonizing in Quinnipiac University (CT) Fall 2017.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta will be presenting at the University of Delaware tomorrow! Make sure you're following them on Facebook and Instagram
Old 09-10-2015, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you DallasDelta.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Delaware update: pi beta phi is colonizing spring 2016 and Tri delta in spring 2018!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon the crash, but I know a few Tri Deltas and wish to say congratulations!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

A question that maybe someone can answer. My MIL says she was a Tri Delt back in the 60's at Hardin Simmons University in Texas, but I can't find any record of that chapter. I don't want to really overly question this and appear rude but I can't find record of a chapter there. Anyone have any informaton?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebrain View Post
A question that maybe someone can answer. My MIL says she was a Tri Delt back in the 60's at Hardin Simmons University in Texas, but I can't find any record of that chapter. I don't want to really overly question this and appear rude but I can't find record of a chapter there. Anyone have any informaton?
I just pulled my Tri Delta Centennial History off the shelf. There is no Hardin Simmons University listed as ever having had a chapter. Maybe it was a local?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.