GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 795
1 members and 794 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM
GreekNewb

Question Help with sorority recruitment

Hello everyone! As indicated by my username, I have absolutely no idea what to expect during recruitment! I'm attending IU in the fall and I have my heart set on becoming Greek! However, I am pretty clueless because none of my relatives are Greek. I know that because IU's recruitment is so competitive, reccomendations are neccessary and I only know a couple alumnae. How would I go about getting recs? Should I contact local alumnae from my area (none would be IU alums)? And if so, how should I go about contacting them? Or is there a better way of getting reccomendations? As you can see, I'm in serious need of some guidance! Any help would be much appreciated because becoming Greek is something very important to me. Thanks so much everyone!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't you already start this thread and were given answers?

Nobody around here is going to spoon-feed you. Clueless =/= helpless unless you let it.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekNewb View Post
Hello everyone! As indicated by my username, I have absolutely no idea what to expect during recruitment! I'm attending IU in the fall and I have my heart set on becoming Greek! However, I am pretty clueless because none of my relatives are Greek. I know that because IU's recruitment is so competitive, reccomendations are neccessary and I only know a couple alumnae. How would I go about getting recs? Should I contact local alumnae from my area (none would be IU alums)? And if so, how should I go about contacting them? Or is there a better way of getting reccomendations? As you can see, I'm in serious need of some guidance! Any help would be much appreciated because becoming Greek is something very important to me. Thanks so much everyone!
Resourceful quite Greekchat for.

Resourceful not real life for.

~ Yoda
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Your best help will come from your national organization and your chapter's alumni advisers.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Your best help will come from your national organization and your chapter's alumni advisers.
Wrong thread?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't worry too much about recs. they're nice to have, but at a lot of chapters they don't mean much besides an invite to 14 party. I didn't have any and I still had an almost-full 14 party (13/14 houses). Also, I know many girls who didn't have them either but still had successful recruitments.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookiesNCream View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about recs. they're nice to have, but at a lot of chapters they don't mean much besides an invite to 14 party. I didn't have any and I still had an almost-full 14 party (13/14 houses). Also, I know many girls who didn't have them either but still had successful recruitments.
I would caution you to still obtain recs for all chapters at IU. As the prior poster shared, sure, you can have a successful recruitment at IU without recs. I would hazard that she may be the exception and not the rule, as there are always hundreds more PNMs participating then bids available. Why knock yourself out of the running by not obtaining recs?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekNewb View Post
1. Start by asking your teachers, friends' moms, people you know from church, people you know from sports, scouts, whatever, if they know anyone who is in a sorority and could give you a rec. Ask everyone you can think of.

2. When you have found some people, ask them if they know anyone else who could write recs for you. I have friends from college in other sororities and I know several of my coworkers' wives were in sororities, so I'd be happy to introduce a rec person to them.

3. Contact your city's alumna panhellenic and ask if they can help you.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I would caution you to still obtain recs for all chapters at IU. As the prior poster shared, sure, you can have a successful recruitment at IU without recs. I would hazard that she may be the exception and not the rule, as there are always hundreds more PNMs participating then bids available. Why knock yourself out of the running by not obtaining recs?
And, as we've pointed out here before, if the poster above is from an area with a ton of alumnae, it's possible that recs were obtained for her without her knowledge.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
1. Start by asking your teachers, friends' moms, people you know from church, people you know from sports, scouts, whatever, if they know anyone who is in a sorority and could give you a rec. Ask everyone you can think of.
I thought I knew almost no Greeks. Years later I'm still finding women I knew from when I was younger that are members of sororities. Seriously, ask everyone.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
GreekNewb

Thanks everyone who posted helpful answers! It was very helpful!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Sorry about my last post. The other posters are right; by all means do go on ahead and get as many recs as you can because in the long run they can only help, not hurt you. But I guess what I meant to say is don't be discouraged if you can't get one for every chapter because it's still possible to have a good recruitment experience without them.