GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,270
3 members and 1,267 guests
Titchou

Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

honeymoon fundraising

Has anyone ever seen this?

One of my facebook friends (who will be my SIL's SIL) and her fiancee keep posting a honeymoon fundraising link.

Etiquette wise this seems incredibly tacky to me. I don't think it is appropriate to ask people (on facebook no less) to donate to your honeymoon, when some of those people may be going to your wedding and be giving you a gift. Unless you are counting them donating to your honeymoon as your gift.

I'm not sure what their expectations are (donation in lieu of gift).

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Donation in lieu of gift would seem appropriate. Maybe donations in lieu of a wedding shower would be fine as well. Adding a wholly new tradition where people are expected to give you stuff seems on the tacky side.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

I think it is tacky too. If people want to give money as a wedding gift, then the couple is free to use it however they see fit. But directly asking for money to fund the fabulous honeymoon trip that must be above their means (elsewise, why would they be asking for $$ for the honeymoon fund) makes me clutch my pearls.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Has anyone ever seen this?

One of my facebook friends (who will be my SIL's SIL) and her fiancee keep posting a honeymoon fundraising link.

Etiquette wise this seems incredibly tacky to me. I don't think it is appropriate to ask people (on facebook no less) to donate to your honeymoon, when some of those people may be going to your wedding and be giving you a gift. ....
+1. What, the money dance with the bride didn't want none of dat?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It is tacky...repeated FB requests? If you're so inclined, money as the wedding gift seems like a good solution. These folks are probably going to return registry gifts for cash, anyway.

I was invited to a bridal shower for a 3rd cousin of my husband's, in which we were asked to bring money for a "money tree" they were creating. The invitation came with a "cute" little poem about the money tree, and a hand-made envelope made out of paper with money printed on it.

I didn't go. I envisioned the bride and guests sitting around while the bride opened each envelope and oohed and aahed over the amount of cash each one contained. I wasn't really sure that would happen...maybe we were supposed to bring a standard gift as well, and she'd open the money tree enveloped later. But just the thought of opening the envelopes added to my abhorrence.

Anyway, I had my MIL and SIL take a gift from her registry, and skipped going myself. It turns out she didn't open the envelopes there. The participation level was lower than expected.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you freaking kidding me?

That's just awfully ... awfully ... annoying.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I attended an Italian wedding where the bride carried a string purse at the reception and men put cash in the bag to dance with the bride. I had never seen this done before and I was sort of

TonyB06, is this what you were referring to?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
My friend (she and her fiance both have great jobs and are not at all hurting for money) is doing this to finance her 2 week honeymoon to Greece. I think it's the tackiest thing ever. Receiving cash/checks as wedding gifts and using that towards your honeymoon is fine, but asking people to "buy us a gift card for this 5 star restaurant!" is so tacky to me.

Don't even get me started on the money dance.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My mom and stepdad recently went to a wedding for a couple who had already lived together for years, so they didn't want all the stuff that people usually put on a registry. Instead, on their wedding website, they were able to set up a "pay for our honeymoon" section, which allowed guests to pay for different parts of their trip (in lieu of a physical gift/check, which they clearly stated). They had things like the hotel and different excursions listed with the total cost for each. Guests could pay for an item in part or in full. I believe this couple was going to Thailand? and my parents bought them an elephant ride.

In a situation such as this, it's perfectly acceptable to have people pay for the honeymoon, but the situation described above.. uh, no.

Oh, and the other cool thing about this couple's wedding website - you could request up to 5 songs for the DJ to play at the wedding. That way, he would have songs set up ahead of time, and there wouldn't be tons of people running up to him all night with requests.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-30-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Oh, and the other cool thing about this couple's wedding website - you could request up to 5 songs for the DJ to play at the wedding. That way, he would have songs set up ahead of time, and there wouldn't be tons of people running up to him all night with requests.
This is a tangent but Live-in and I are attending his best friend's wedding in two weeks and they put on the invite "write on the response card your guilty pleasure song" (mine was "Call me Maybe"), and that's now their playlist for the event! I thought it was fun. Now, getting a DJ to play all those songs has proven pretty tricky - they're on their second, because the first refused, saying "I don't let people do my job for me, you might as well set up an iTunes playlist" - which was weird because typically the DJ is the MC of the event.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I think it is tacky too. If people want to give money as a wedding gift, then the couple is free to use it however they see fit. But directly asking for money to fund the fabulous honeymoon trip that must be above their means (elsewise, why would they be asking for $$ for the honeymoon fund) makes me clutch my pearls.
Ack! Clutching pearls too! Well (looking down), clutching Auburn beads.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

yes I've seen it, and yes its beyond tacky- but good Lord seriously don't get me started on what ISN'T tacky on FB these days... everything from begging for money for honeymoons and weddings to personal fundraising for medical expenses... people honestly have ZERO SHAME any more!!!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

didn't finish --- the absolute WORST I have seen on FB was the bride who listed all of the things that "those of us invited to the wedding"- SHOULDN"T BUY HER!!! Including such items as picture frames, small appliances, and coolers...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I attended an Italian wedding where the bride carried a string purse at the reception and men put cash in the bag to dance with the bride. I had never seen this done before and I was sort of

TonyB06, is this what you were referring to?
Yep. It happens a lot at Black receptions as well. Usually you give the money to a bridesmaid or someone who is holding a container, before you dance with the bride. Or you pin the money on her wedding gown, or whatever she's changed into.

If I want to make a transaction, I'll go to PNC Bank. Not that I haven't done it for brides I really like (it is a festive occasion), but it just makes me feel some kinda way about it.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
If I want to make a transaction, I'll go to PNC Bank. Not that I haven't done it for brides I really like (it is a festive occasion), but it just makes me feel some kinda way about it.
As you should. It is misogynist and treats the bride as property.