GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,344
1 members and 2,343 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 03-28-2001, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Post alum chapter with no local collegiate chapters??

Anyone have any great ideas for sisterhood activities for an alum chapter with no nearby collegiate chapters? I'd love to see us get involved with other Greeks in the area.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Thank you all so much, you have given me some wonderful ideas!! I know we are somewhat involved with the local Panhell, so I need to find out more about that! I've also checked into area colleges and universities... unfortunately all the soror chapters are nationals.

[This message has been edited by finest_alum (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Finest -
Are you a member of an NPC or NPHC group?

Having an active alumnae chapter is possible even if you don't have a local collegiate chapter to support.

Please post or e-mail me with details. I have several activity ideas I could pass along to you.

Barbara
President, Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter of ZTA
Rush Forum Moderator
Old 03-28-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Penguintrax, yep, we're NPC, and actually a pretty active chapter. The reason I ask is that I just got elected to our e-board and I want to make sure I come prepped with some fresh ideas to get some things going. We have had a lot of older alums running things for a while, and while I think that's fantastic, I think some of our younger alums might be more willing to get involved if we started doing some new stuff...

I think it would be really cool to get together with other alum groups, sororities and fraternities, in the area - better networking opportunities Turnout is sometimes a problem for alum groups, so it would be great if we could still do some kind of alum "exchanges" with other groups so that we all could benefit. I'm wondering if anyone has had success w/ this sort of thing and how they went about it.

[This message has been edited by finest_alum (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the idea of Alum exchanges too. I've never experienced one, but I think it would be awesome. Especially a luncheon or some kind of event that Amy described. It wouldnt have to be something big. Maybe something with a few brothers and sisters getting together I'm from the Northern Virginia area.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Do you participate in a local Alumnae Panhellenic? Some of our most active representatives are from groups with no chapter on the FSU campus.

Also - you can ask your national office for a list of chapters with poor or no alumnae support and 'adopt' the chapter. Set up penpals, send them goody boxes during finals week, congratulatory notes when they win an award, etc.

Barbara
Old 03-29-2001, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree, you can adopt a chapter.
We are just starting an alumnae association here and we have no chapter, but my old chapter has no association near them so we could pitch in and help there.
But, I am sure you could try to find other alumnae organizations to work with, I think that would be so much fun learning about another sorority and maybe having a group event.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
If a college near you had a local sorority that lacks good alumnae support, you might work with them, giving them help and advice. They will face many of the same challenges as a chapter of a National sorority, but won't have anyone to turn to for assistance.

Also, the long-distance "adopt-a-chapter" is a great idea, too. I think it would be awesome for that chapter, and if the were within ANY sort of driving distance you could be there for special events.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
As stated earlier, your local alumnae Panhellenic is a resource, and if there is local college, then just volunteering with their Panhellenic activities would be a good outlet, also, even if your org is not represented on their campus.

[This message has been edited by tcsparky (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

That's what I'm thinking... Always good to get the boys and girls together Do you guys know if there is an IFC Alum council or just Panhell? Hmmm. I'll let you know what kind of response I get at from members at our next meeting, but, I'm thinking of planning casual happy hour at a cool local bar with an outside deck now that it's getting nice out, or a volleyball tournament in the park.
Old 04-02-2001, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Unhappy

My alum chapter has no local chapters in the area. It's been sort of hard to convince the rest of the members of the chapter that joining the local alum NPC would be beneficial. *sigh* Needless to say, I would LOVE if Sigma had a local collegiate chapter!