GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Chi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,150
2 members and 1,148 guests
indygphib

Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think the Sigma Chi President is correct in that this doesn't necessarily contribute to rape culture.
This IS rape culture. The idea that the women should put up with degrading behavior so as not to lose social status? Those in the position of power on stage taking advantage of that position? Dissenters afraid to speak out because they may be brushed off as too uptight or PC?

I'm not saying that the fault lies entirely with SAE or the men involved, as these are messages internalized over very long periods of time by growing up in/with various patriarchal institutions, but I don't see how you can look at this and not see a connection to the power dynamics and objectification that leads to rape.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Once the sorority women finally realize that it is they who hold ALL the power in the Greek social life on campus, all this crap would cease. The guys only have the power because the women let them. I swear it would take 1 solid week of every sorority cutting off every fraternity (date, social, planning meeting, all of it) and they would learn their place. After 2 weeks the guys would be begging at the women's feet.
Word.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Once the sorority women finally realize that it is they who hold ALL the power in the Greek social life on campus, all this crap would cease. The guys only have the power because the women let them. I swear it would take 1 solid week of every sorority cutting off every fraternity (date, social, planning meeting, all of it) and they would learn their place. After 2 weeks the guys would be begging at the women's feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Word.
Oh my goodness 1000x yes!

Chapters- make this happen!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like Sigma Chi got hit pretty hard by the University. It won't change their behavior much, but it is a start. Fraternities at Ole Miss seem to take pride in being put on probation every couple of years.

University Imposes Sanctions on Sigma Chi
Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

What a bunch of politically correct nonsense... Also, Sigma Chi may have a decent opportunity here for a lawsuit.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 PM

I can accept and believe that there is a need for seminar about sexual harassment/discrimination (which our Headquarters provides with our Journey modules).

I can accept some social probation sanctions.

What is the point of denying the chapter a pledge class for the Fall? I truly do not see the point.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
I can accept and believe that there is a need for seminar about sexual harassment/discrimination (which our Headquarters provides with our Journey modules).
Apart from the individual who did the actual harassing, where does the University derive the power to punish the entire organization? If Sigma Chi wants to do this on its own, that's the prerogative.

Quote:
I can accept some social probation sanctions.

What is the point of denying the chapter a pledge class for the Fall? I truly do not see the point.
The point is the University is trying to send a message that this sort of behavior will be subject to severe sanctions. But you're right. I they believe that their authority under Title IX gives them the power to deny a Fall pledge class to an entire organization as what I can only guess is a simple show of force, what can they not do? It really looks like they, like many schools, where it comes to sanctions under their Title IX authority, they are sort of making it up as they go along.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-02-2017, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

This is what happens when you allow candidates who are less than Norman. The same thing happened to Alpha. This should be nipped in the bud. They should be closed, and, their real (read: culturally qualified) alumni should be allowed to re-established the Eta Fraternity of Sigma Chi. These w-trash are ruining everything.