GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,748
0 members and 1,748 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Cosby: It was mutual

ENTERTAINER Bill Cosby admits to having "consensual" sexual contact with a Pickering woman who claims the TV star drugged and molested her, according to ABC News.

Here's the rest of the story: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...12864-sun.html

Do you think this diminishes the message that he's giving about our accountablility in raising our children?

Has he learned from his 'mistakes' - this is his second public display of his philanderin' ways?
Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
What I want to know is...since it was only fondling...does this make it ok with his wife?

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kiml122
What I want to know is...since it was only fondling...does this make it ok with his wife?
I initially heard this story this morning from FloAnthony, a gossip columnists on one of the local radio stations here in DC, and she suggested while Cosby is coming clean about this lil indiscretion he needs to come clean 'bout his marriage... I took that to mean that Camille might have given him the boot or they are married in name only.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

A better article on blackweb: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site....wnews/cosby201

with a picture of his accuser (she looks young enough to be his daughter

I really don't buy into the 'white media' trying to crucify Bill. He's doing it to himself.

To answer my own initial question, I think it's hard to take advice/criticism from someone whose own house STILL isn't in order
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Quote:
Originally posted by sistarisin
I initially heard this story this morning from FloAnthony, a gossip columnists on one of the local radio stations here in DC, and she suggested while Cosby is coming clean about this lil indiscretion he needs to come clean 'bout his marriage... I took that to mean that Camille might have given him the boot or they are married in name only.
OOOOOOOOOOH, I heard that on HUR this morning too!! I was like D'OH!!

I was trying to make the point on another board that I have a hard time listening to Bill now b/c his own house is shaky, not that I took his word as gospel or anything...that is why I dont listen to anyone speak of a 'moral code'. If you are living 'morally', then others will see it. If you have to shout it out, then you are probably trying to deflect some attention from yourself b/c YOU are not so moral...jmo...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sistarisin
A better article on blackweb: http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site....wnews/cosby201

with a picture of his accuser (she looks young enough to be his daughter

I really don't buy into the 'white media' trying to crucify Bill. He's doing it to himself.

To answer my own initial question, I think it's hard to take advice/criticism from someone whose own house STILL isn't in order
I agree with most of what you say here..however..is anyone's house really in order? Meaning is there anyone that hasn't made mistakes or still makes them? I guess this has really hurt his credibility in the eyes of many..but it doesn't change the validity of the message he was delivering. The message and the messenger are two different things..
Old 02-01-2005, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
If he truly sexually assaulted her, then his credibilty is shot with me.

However, if it is proven the whatever occured between them was consensual I have no problems with Cos: he's not my husband and it is not uncommon for the wives of rich men to allow them to be, errr, sexually free as long as the wives can keep dipping into the family coeffers. That may have been what Flo Anthony was referring to. If that is Bill and Camille's choice, so be it.

I still think what he said about the Black community needed to be said and I will continue believe that every dollar he has contributed is much needed by Black schools- and I am sure they await his next dollar.

I pray, the allegations are false, and I pray what I mentioned before is not the state of Bill and Camille's marriage, but even if the allegations are true and the marriage is farce for "business" purposes he has still done great things for the Black community and the education of Black youth. Additionally, he has restarted a very necessary dialogue in our community.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisite5

However, if it is proven the whatever occured between them was consensual I have no problems with Cos: he's not my husband and it is not uncommon for the wives of rich men to allow them to be, errr, sexually free as long as the wives can keep dipping into the family coeffers. That may have been what Flo Anthony was referring to. If that is Bill and Camille's choice, so be it.

I still think what he said about the Black community needed to be said and I will continue believe that every dollar he has contributed is much needed by Black schools- and I am sure they await his next dollar.

I pray, the allegations are false, and I pray what I mentioned before is not the state of Bill and Camille's marriage, but even if the allegations are true and the marriage is farce for "business" purposes he has still done great things for the Black community and the education of Black youth. Additionally, he has restarted a very necessary dialogue in our community.
Well said. I really enjoyed watching him on Dr. Phil last week. I also agree with what he says about the African American race. However, I do believe that you should lead by example. So let's hope this stuff is false.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisite5

Must agree with your last point, Soror. Dr. Cosby did restart a dialogue that should have never fallen off. For that, he gets points from me.
Now I don't really care who he dropped hammer on. That is a matter between him and Mrs. Cosby. It does become public information, however, but that doesn't mean that I have to pass judgment on it.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Millions of miles from civilization... so I can't wait to leave.
Any excuse

I agree with most of yall, also...

But, I think Bill may have been set up. Don't get me wrong.

I am not saying somebody hypnotized Bill and made him touch that women against his will. He put himself in this position. However, it is possible that Cosby's views and statements may have motivated others to go after him. When I speak of others, I mean those who don't like it when we hear what we need to hear. This country has shown us time and time again that anybody who speaks out about what we (blacks) need to do to better ourselves (whether it hurts to hear it or not) will always be a target. Anything to hide the truth. Bill can solicit, grab, rub, and do everything else. That doesn't mean what he said wasn't the truth. Yes, it was wrong and I am sure he will pay for it like Kobe, Micheal, etc. The only problem is that some people will look for any excuse (GREEN LIGHT) they can find to continue to be apathetic.

Cosby's sexual (consensual or not) contact has nothing to do with why many black teenagers are dropping out of school, why many black parents are bringing children into this world but not raising (teaching) them, and why many black people continue to spend their money, time, and efforts toward things that neither benefit them (their family) nor us as a people. I know Cosby didn't say all that, I threw some of that end myself.

This occurence shouldn't discredit or lessen the validity of his statements. If it's true, it's true, molestation or not. I do agree that one should lead by example, but I think the three areas that I mentioned earlier are more influential to African Americans than Bill Cosby getting his freak on.

I was never going to nominate him for HUSBAND OF THE YEAR anyway.

But he's the undisputed champion of TELLING IT LIKE IT IS!

my $.02

Last edited by bobbyearl93; 02-02-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Any excuse

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyearl93
Cosby's sexual (consensual or not) contact has nothing to do with why many black teenagers are dropping out of school, why many black parents are bringing children into this world but not raising (teaching) them, and why many black people continue to spend their money, time, and efforts toward things that neither benefit them (their family) nor us as a people. I know Cosby didn't say all that, I threw some of that end myself.

This occurence shouldn't discredit or lessen the validity of his statements. If it's true, it's true, molestation or not. I do agree that one should lead by example, but I think the three areas that I mentioned earlier are more influential to African Americans than Bill Cosby getting his freak on.
We may think Cosby disobeying his marriage vows means nothing, but it does. The lack of respect for marriage can be a reflection about the family unit and how people view it. He talks about men abusing women but repeatedly cheating on your wife is a form of abuse-lack of respect for relationships, kids out of wedlock and living in single parent homes, STD's, and so on.

Unfortunately, AA's like to discredit the emotional effects of our actions when everything plays a part in the whole.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
Must agree with your last point, Soror. Dr. Cosby did restart a dialogue that should have never fallen off. For that, he gets points from me.
Now I don't really care who he dropped hammer on. That is a matter between him and Mrs. Cosby. It does become public information, however, but that doesn't mean that I have to pass judgment on it.
Soror, yes you can pass judgement. Just pretend like it's Big Geigh Al.

Like I said on the Ave. I knew there was something to it. Once the accusations surfaced, he canceled shows. If he did not have any contact with this person, he would not have had to gone to such lengths. The shows would have gone on.

IMO, it has nothing to do with what he has said. It's just that his credibility is minimized. He may eventually fade into oblivion like Jesse Jackson and many other notables and not so notables.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
Re: Re: Any excuse

Quote:
Originally posted by allsmiles_22
We may think Cosby disobeying his marriage vows means nothing, but it does. The lack of respect for marriage can be a reflection about the family unit and how people view it. He talks about men abusing women but repeatedly cheating on your wife is a form of abuse-lack of respect for relationships, kids out of wedlock and living in single parent homes, STD's, and so on.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I've never placed Cosby on such a pedestal that this scandal has me losing sleep or even thinking about it. I guess once Jesse Jackson did his thing and it was exposed as well as learning about MLK's own infidelity or sexual indiscretions, I tend not to get bent out of shape in terms of "What is we gonna do now?"

Now don't get it twisted, I do not agree with him cheating on his wife. But that is something Bill Cosby will have to answer to God, his wife, and children for, not little old me.

I still think that his message about the breakdown of the Black family and community was necessary and thankful he said it. However, infidelity and adultery (HIS INCLUDED) hurt the family as well, Black or White.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Any excuse

Quote:
Originally posted by allsmiles_22

Unfortunately, AA's like to discredit the emotional effects of our actions when everything plays a part in the whole.
I disagree with your example - all of a sudden an alleged situation is equivalent to ALL the ills wrong with our society? I'm not excusing infidelity but again that is a private matter. The difference between Mr. Cosby and Jesse Jackson is the REVEREND prefix. If you are going to be held up as a leader for God then yes you need to be held to a higher standard - apples and oranges.

Lets keep this all in perspective - we DON't know what (if any) arrangement Mr. and Mrs. Cosby have - but he raised his kids in a two parent home and as far as I recall all of his kids went to college. This would include PTA meetings, and other educational responsibilities & involvement with his own children. Both parents are college educated and in addition give of their time, money & resources to provide educational opportunites for other children.

On Educational issues - Mr. Cosby is still alright with me.