GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,775
1 members and 1,774 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 12-04-2014, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
I can't say, I wasn't there. I was just presenting a possibility for those who expressed they didn't "understand" how a victim could not fight back in the case that she didn't want to have sex.

I don't understand how you're expecting anyone to judge a case from a couple of sentences printed in a newspaper article and I find that lacking in good sense. Who is anyone on here to judge what a proper punishment should be in a situation we are neither part of nor know the full facts of?
What an interesting response.

This is what we are all being asked to do with the Rolling Stone article. And the hundreds (thousands?) of other articles that insist our universities are failing their students with their responses.

Quote:
Your line of thinking seems to be: "she had slept with him before and she got into bed with him (how could she expect him not to want sex?), she said no but then didn't resist when he tried again...therefore not deserving of the classification of rape?" Ok. Cool story bro.
No, my line of thinking is this: It's an article that is clearly sympathetic to the alarm some are raising about rape culture at Swarthmore. Journalists doing this style of story usually lead with their most persuasive allegation, and it's clearly her story, we don't ever hear his side. So this is the view of the facts that best supports her rape claim. And that's all there is? Personally, I'd have a very difficult time expelling him from college and calling him a rapist, based on that evidence. Your mileage may vary, which is why I asked.

We can easily stipulate that these are the only facts an administrator has to base a decision on and that both students sound credible and believable at in-person interviews. its a thought experiment, remember?

Edited to add: just so I'm clear...My opinion does not then automatically mean I think this woman is lying. She may sincerely believe she was raped. But if this is rape, it happens in millions upon millions of bedrooms all across the country every night. (yes, Dr.Phil, I know, I know...its the patriarchy.)

Last edited by honorgal; 12-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Which gets back to even the appearance of dismissing rape allegations because they don't fit a particular description of "rape"; and the social and legal "ranking" of "rape".

I don't believe anyone should be branded a "rapist" and punished without organizational investigations and, if it is a legal situation, the proper legal procedures.
At the end of the day, these are actual people, these young men and women, with a specific, individual set of facts to each allegation. And somebody(s) is having to decide. Can the discussion go beyond the sweeping generalities?
Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
At the end of the day, these are actual people, these young men and women, with a specific, individual set of facts to each allegation. And somebody(s) is having to decide. Can the discussion go beyond the sweeping generalities?
What are you typing about?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Which gets back to even the appearance of dismissing rape allegations because they don't fit a particular description of "rape"; and the social and legal "ranking" of "rape".

I don't believe anyone should be branded a "rapist" and punished without organizational investigations and, if it is a legal situation, the proper legal procedures.
At the end of the day, some allegations will, in fact, have to be dismissed. Won't they? Otherwise, what's the point of an investigation or legal procedures?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
They insisted that she attend one of the safety on campus workshops and buy a can of pepper spray to carry with her wherever she goes. They were also planning on buying a police whistle to carry on a cord around her neck.
SMH. This is the definition of not getting it. That is, still thinking of "rapist" solely as "stranger who lurks in the bushes and jumps out and attacks you."
Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
SMH. This is the definition of not getting it. That is, still thinking of "rapist" solely as "stranger who lurks in the bushes and jumps out and attacks you."
While I understand the point you are making and agree that this rape fact pattern is much more rare these days, I think Charlottesville would not be exactly comforted by that fact right now, due to the Hannah Graham abduction and murder. It's too fresh in people's minds.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
At the end of the day, some allegations will, in fact, have to be dismissed. Won't they? Otherwise, what's the point of an investigation or legal procedures?

Dismissing allegations after a thorough investigation does not have to mean dismissing allegations solely because of narrow views regarding "rape".

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your words.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your words.
I know my words. What are you typing about?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know my words. What are you typing about?
Your words. Are you saying you don't understand what I wrote in response to your words?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Dismissing allegations after a thorough investigation does not have to mean dismissing allegations solely because of narrow views regarding "rape".
Ah, you edited. No of course it doesn't HAVE to mean that. But we do have to have some general consensus as a society as to what constitutes rape. The vast majority of men and women would look at the Swarthmore fact set and think "if that's rape, then geez, I'm guilty". Are you advocating that we narrow it and call it rape, and expel the student as a rapist? If you are, why don't you just say so?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
No of course it doesn't HAVE to mean that.

Good.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This DOES happen! There was an incident on the news just the other day about a woman who was attacked just this way. Of course I "get it". Rape can and does take place in many, many different situations. But I also "get" having some common sense about what kinds of situations you expose yourself to as a woman. And what the attendant risks are. Also what self-protective measures we as women can take. IMO to think otherwise is very naive and unrealistic.

Chi Omega
Old 12-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

This is an unfortunate discussion.

I hope people realize that men also precipitate (which isn't victim blaming) their own victimization as well as precipitating many circumstances in which they are accused of crimes. Yet and still, people tend not to preach to men about the behaviors that increase the likelihood of such incidents.

But people love to preach to women. It is absolutely sickening.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-04-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Men absolutely precipitate their own victimization. There is plenty of need for serious examination all the way around. And it won't come overnight.

Chi Omega