GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,899
0 members and 1,899 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post
Not necessarily if they were snap bids. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make quota and their advisor/recruitment chair made the decision to snap bid if necessary.
Again I say, . If a woman doesn't make the cut she doesn't make the cut...quota or not. I can't believe there would ever be a situation where one person could override the chapter's decision and get away with it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

decisions like the one discussed above would often be cleared thru a national officer before snap bids were offered.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Again I say, . If a woman doesn't make the cut she doesn't make the cut...quota or not. I can't believe there would ever be a situation where one person could override the chapter's decision and get away with it.
Also keep in mind that especially with RFM there are many girls who get "cut" that the chapter really liked. There just happened to be other PNMs the chapter liked a little bit better. What happens then unfortunately is some of those "kept" PNMs didn't like the chapter well enough to put it #1 on their bid card.

If/when that unsettling call comes in the wee hours of the morning that it's necessary to snap in order to make quota, it's up to the chapter officers and advisors to make a decision and make it fast. I agree it isn't appropriate to issue a snap bid to someone the chapter obviously couldn't stand. However in a big competitive Recruitment, there are often unmatched girls to choose from who the chapter did like and would fit in well.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Were they at pref? Because if so, they wouldn't have been "cut" - only put on the second bid list. If they weren't at pref - WTH? That would warrant a call to HQ.
They had cut the girls early in recruitment and apparently their advisors added them back to the bid list anyway. I remember the poster and her chapter and school but had probably better not put it here.

I seem to recall her saying that they never saw those particular advisors again, lol.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL. Shit happens. It's not the end of the world. Apparently that chapter needs a better education process for its advisers. Missing quota by 4 isn't the end of the world...neither is taking in 4 women your chapter isn't in love with when the chapter is as huge as those chapters tend to be.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

I think this happened in the 80s or 90s when the chapters were much smaller plus the chapter isn't there anymore so 4 girls might've been quite noticeable but still! How dare those advisors do that?

I have recently heard of several stories where mystery girls turned up in chapter rooms on Bid Day and there were their names on the bid lists and no one--the chapter, the advisors, or PH--could account for that, although the girl had been cut earlier in the process. What do you say once she's there? "Hello, excuse me but we really didn't want you and you cal leave now?" Oh, I'm really glad I didn't have to deal with that situation.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I think this happened in the 80s or 90s when the chapters were much smaller plus the chapter isn't there anymore so 4 girls might've been quite noticeable but still! How dare those advisors do that?

I have recently heard of several stories where mystery girls turned up in chapter rooms on Bid Day and there were their names on the bid lists and no one--the chapter, the advisors, or PH--could account for that, although the girl had been cut earlier in the process. What do you say once she's there? "Hello, excuse me but we really didn't want you and you cal leave now?" Oh, I'm really glad I didn't have to deal with that situation.
If it happened that long ago, then they she should be able to tell us what happened with those girls. That's a long time to be holding onto a grudge. A similar thing happened at my chapter, and we acted like mature AOIIs and welcomed the girl into our chapter. No reason to act like brats when you can't change things. She turned out to be an amazing member so no harm no foul. Not to mention, there are lots of carefully chosen members who turn out to be duds. As for the second scenario, I call BS on that one. Sounds like an urban legend. If PH can't account for the name on the list, the name should be removed BEFORE the PNM is given the bid.

AOII

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
LOL. Shit happens. It's not the end of the world. Apparently that chapter needs a better education process for its advisers. Missing quota by 4 isn't the end of the world...neither is taking in 4 women your chapter isn't in love with when the chapter is as huge as those chapters tend to be.
Freakin' amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Also keep in mind that especially with RFM there are many girls who get "cut" that the chapter really liked. There just happened to be other PNMs the chapter liked a little bit better. What happens then unfortunately is some of those "kept" PNMs didn't like the chapter well enough to put it #1 on their bid card.

If/when that unsettling call comes in the wee hours of the morning that it's necessary to snap in order to make quota, it's up to the chapter officers and advisors to make a decision and make it fast. I agree it isn't appropriate to issue a snap bid to someone the chapter obviously couldn't stand. However in a big competitive Recruitment, there are often unmatched girls to choose from who the chapter did like and would fit in well.
This is all sorts of treading on MS territory but...I would assume that in such a situation, certain minimums have been met. (That's as vague as I can get for you to still understand me, LOL.)

But again though, that's part of the learning process of RFM...not just to get the PNMs to open their minds, but to get the chapters to weigh how much they want to keep "Super PNM" around, when all the other chapters are falling all over her too.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-17-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: clarifying what I'm referring to
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As for the second scenario, I call BS on that one. Sounds like an urban legend. If PH can't account for the name on the list, the name should be removed BEFORE the PNM is given the bid.
That one was definitely for real!
Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post

Yup, been there and had to make the decisions. You just don't have time to run things past the chapter.

Also, I hate the idea that there are "computer errors", but I know that we have made mistakes due to identical names. PNM's have numbers, along with names, but we are talking about hundreds of women and 5-6 people doing invite lists in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It doesn't really matter for the first bid list. It's alphabetical for ease of bid matching. These women are guaranteed a spot in the group if they want one since they are on the first list. It doesn't matter where they are on the first list. They are in. The first list includes only as many PNMs are there are spots for quota.

The second bid list is in order of preference. #1 is the first girl the chapter wants if they get all of the PNMs on their first bid list except for one. #2 is the second PNM they want if they don't get two PNMs on their first bid list or don't get #1 on the second bid list and so on. That is why the second bid list is NOT in alphabetical order.
Quote:
Definitely. Once you understand how it works, it's not too hard. Quota ranges make things more difficult, but that's why we have computers!

If I may jump in with a question, how does a chapter come up with their first bid list with respect to quota ranges?

With flex lists and quota ranges, do the chapters receive a “minimum quota number” (for lack of a better phrase) for their “first bid list” before they turn in their bid lists? And as such, the chapter lists up to the “low number” of PNMs on their first bid list?

For example.

Quota might initially be set at 25. Yet to help maximize the number of PNMs placed and to help each chapter reach quota, this initially set quota of 25 might be increased to 26 or reduced to 24. Thus the quota range would then be 24 to 26.

If I understand correctly, if there was no quota range and quota was set at 25 and the chapter invited to and had 50 attend their preference, then the first bid list would have 25 PNMs listed (in alphabetical order), and the second bid list 25 PNMs (ranked 1 to 25).

But if there is a quota range of 24 to 26, would the first bid list have 24 names listed (alphabetical), and the second bid list the remaining 26 names (ranked)? Then in an effort to help maximize placement etc., quota is set at 25, the number one PNM from the second bid list would “move” onto the first bid list. If quota is set at 26, then the first two PNMs on the second bid list would “move” onto the first bid list.

Or are there three seperate quota lists - one for each potential quota – provided to the College Panhellenic? For example, in case quota is set at 24, “List A” would have 24 names (alpha order) on the first bid list and 26 on the second bid list (ranked). “List B” would have 25 names (alpha order) on first bid list, 25 names (ranked) on second bid list. “List C” would have 26 names (alpha order) on first bid list and 24 names (ranked) on second bid list.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMafia View Post
After working with a chapter for four years the lack of knowledge most of them have about how bid matching and everything works can be shocking, especially when they want to have a certain belief about their recruitment chair, the panhellenic board etc.
So true! I worked with a chapter that had no idea how bid matching worked. I knew there was no way to explain it, so I created a role play with three chapters and 30 PNMs all named for celebrities. I had the other advisors to come in and we actually did a mock bid matching for the chapter. It really helped them to understand how the process works. It also made them see the importance of not giving every "nice" girl who came through the highest marks possible and really evaluating how the PNM would fit into the chapter or add value to the chapter.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
If I may jump in with a question, how does a chapter come up with their first bid list with respect to quota ranges?

With flex lists and quota ranges, do the chapters receive a “minimum quota number” (for lack of a better phrase) for their “first bid list” before they turn in their bid lists? And as such, the chapter lists up to the “low number” of PNMs on their first bid list?

For example.

Quota might initially be set at 25. Yet to help maximize the number of PNMs placed and to help each chapter reach quota, this initially set quota of 25 might be increased to 26 or reduced to 24. Thus the quota range would then be 24 to 26.

If I understand correctly, if there was no quota range and quota was set at 25 and the chapter invited to and had 50 attend their preference, then the first bid list would have 25 PNMs listed (in alphabetical order), and the second bid list 25 PNMs (ranked 1 to 25).

But if there is a quota range of 24 to 26, would the first bid list have 24 names listed (alphabetical), and the second bid list the remaining 26 names (ranked)? Then in an effort to help maximize placement etc., quota is set at 25, the number one PNM from the second bid list would “move” onto the first bid list. If quota is set at 26, then the first two PNMs on the second bid list would “move” onto the first bid list.

Or are there three seperate quota lists - one for each potential quota – provided to the College Panhellenic? For example, in case quota is set at 24, “List A” would have 24 names (alpha order) on the first bid list and 26 on the second bid list (ranked). “List B” would have 25 names (alpha order) on first bid list, 25 names (ranked) on second bid list. “List C” would have 26 names (alpha order) on first bid list and 24 names (ranked) on second bid list.
IIRC, the first bid list is made out with the number of women at the low end of the range, ie. 24 women if quota range is 24-26. If it is adjusted up, they just add in from the second bid list. It would be impossible to remove from the first bid list to move down the range since they are in alphabetical order not preference order. You have a finite number of women on your bid list anyway...the number of women you invited to pref.

AOII

Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
IIRC, the first bid list is made out with the number of women at the low end of the range, ie. 24 women if quota range is 24-26. If it is adjusted up, they just add in from the second bid list. It would be impossible to remove from the first bid list to move down the range since they are in alphabetical order not preference order. You have a finite number of women on your bid list anyway...the number of women you invited to pref.
Thanks. I was thinking that might be how it worked but just wasn't sure.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 AM

Needs a bump.

Lakers Nation.