GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,311
2 members and 1,309 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I know that with NPC sororities, once you get a bid, there are very few circumstances under which my sorority can withold a NM from being initiated. It can be done, but approval has to be obtained from someone at HQ and everything has to be well documented, as in "Here is this list of member participation points for the month and here are all of the events that Suzy did not attend."
Same with my org. If we have a legitimate reason to force someone to leave, then we can do that (with step-by-step documentation to back up our reasoning).

From what violetpretty said, she made it sound like fraternities are just kicking people out because they feel like it. If that's the case, that kind of sucks. And I suppose it could happen.. especially if they don't need to justify their reason with HQ for doing so. If, on the other hand, the pledge gave them a legitimate reason to kick them out, that's understandable.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that with my sorority, once you get a bid, there are very few circumstances under which my sorority can withhold a NM from being initiated. It can be done, but approval has to be obtained from someone at HQ and everything has to be well documented, as in "Here is this list of member participation points for the month and here are all of the events that Suzy did not attend."

I would assume that it's not the same for fraternities. What are some examples of reasons why you have decided that a pledge shouldn't continue with the program (if you can share and it's not part of privileged info of course)?
It can be as simple as "brotherhood". Now while I try to not take the easy way out and be vulgar, there are certain times when such words or phrases might best describe the situation and be rather succinct. This may be one of those occasions. So in this case, if the pledge "sucks", is a "tool", a "douche-bag" as you will, then when it comes time for the chapter to vote for membership, he may not received the necessary votes to become a member. What that number might be, varies by HQs and chapters. For example, it might be 90% has to vote in favor of membership. Or it might be that one *no* vote is all it takes to deny membership. And for what it is worth, some NICs have that information on their websites while others do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Same with my org. If we have a legitimate reason to force someone to leave, then we can do that (with step-by-step documentation to back up our reasoning).

From what violetpretty said, she made it sound like fraternities are just kicking people out because they feel like it. If that's the case, that kind of sucks. And I suppose it could happen.. especially if they don't need to justify their reason with HQ for doing so. If, on the other hand, the pledge gave them a legitimate reason to kick them out, that's understandable.
And basically, that is what is happening. The chapter "feels like it" because the pledge is not meeting the chapter's standards by being a "screw-up". And for NICs, that is often a legitimate reason.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
So in this case, if the pledge "sucks", is a "tool", a "douche-bag" as you will, then when it comes time for the chapter to vote for membership, he may not received the necessary votes to become a member.

Quotation marks = hilarious for some odd reason.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would assume that it's not the same for fraternities. What are some examples of reasons why you have decided that a pledge shouldn't continue with the program (if you can share and it's not part of privileged info of course)?
For example, one guy smoked pot (which is strictly forbidden by pledge rules), didnt show up to two or three clean-ups nor the big cleanup, and had a terrible attitude.

Another guy we cut was simply kind of weird and was probably flunking most of his classes.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

The ex-boyfriend of one of my roommates in college only got about halfway through the pledge semester before being asked to leave his pledge class. It may have been for the "quoted" reasons above, or maybe those are just the qualities I personally thought he had. He honestly wouldn't have been a good fit in that chapter, and I think generally the fraternities know what and how many they are looking for.

Last edited by UofISigKap; 03-03-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: rambling....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Quotation marks = hilarious for some odd reason.