GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,365
0 members and 1,365 guests
No Members online

Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

alcohol in rush videos

I just finished working on a rush video for our chapter. Our rule is to not include pictures with alcohol in them during parties or other events. But i've noticed not all fraternities and chapters do this. What is your house's policy on alcohol being in pictures in rush videos?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobis View Post
I just finished working on a rush video for our chapter. Our rule is to not include pictures with alcohol in them during parties or other events. But i've noticed not all fraternities and chapters do this. What is your house's policy on alcohol being in pictures in rush videos?
I don't think we have rush videos.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I don't think we have rush videos.
Ditto.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobis View Post

From a purely practical standpoint - you'll never get in trouble for NOT having pictures with alcohol. But I know of one fraternity who ended up losing their charter FOR posting pictures - when they were on probation - of alcohol at a party. Better safe than sorry . . .

eta - and back in the day, they were rush slide shows!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

Cool A time and a place...

I am an avid drinker, and a fiercely competitive beer pong player...

...however, there is a time and a place for that information, and the damage potential in a rush video / slideshow / pamphlet / whatever is too high.

Unfortunately, regulations by IFC and most universities these days are so restrictive that walking that line at all simply doesn't make sense.

My advice, even if it's not strictly prohibited by your chapter, keep the booze in your blood stream and out of rush videos.

-J.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm not in a fraternity, but in our recruitment video, the guy who edited it had to convert my cups into Sprite and Coke cans :-)...maybe that can be an option to cover up alcohol in your video.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGoGreek View Post

My advice, even if it's not strictly prohibited by your chapter, keep the booze in your blood stream and out of rush videos.

-J.
haha that is probably the best bit of advice i've gotten on this website
Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

We tried to keep alcohol out of our video... We just couldn't do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVViWZwRg8w
Old 04-27-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the guy that films and edits our video, and he always makes sure to take more than enough pictures and videos to do it without any visible alcohol, even going so far as to "set up" some of the shots and scenes. It's really just a precaution, because you never know who will see the video.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I say try and remember the spirit of the rule.

If there is alcohol in the picture, make sure it is at least in a way that doesn't make you look like a bunch of drunks.

Having a brother holding a glass of wine at an alumni dinner is completely different from having a picture of one of your brothers doing a naked keg-stand