GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,531
3 members and 1,528 guests
flirt5721

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I Want To Bring Change

On second thought, since this is a public message board maybe it is a bad idea to pour out my heart for all the world to see. i'll figure it out on my own. thanks anyway for your advice!

Last edited by esviel; 02-19-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esviel View Post
Hello all,

So I rushed the *************** chapter of Delta Upsilon and I am currently pledging. I am part of a pledge class of two - yup, only me and another guy.

It would have been a class of 7 or 8 but one by one, during closed rush and even after bid signing, the others have decided not to pledge. Even on the night of bid signing, a couple of my would-be brothers decided not to sign, right there in the crowded hall.

This is when I started having some serious doubts about whether I was making the right choice.

The only reason I joined is because my best friend (a sophomore who I met during the beginning of the year) is a brother there already. Otherwise, I would not even have considered joining a fraternity.

I learned from him that in the past, there have been pledge classes of 1 and 2 (and even a year where there were no people brought in). It is evident that if something like this happens one more time, we will no longer exist at [school deleted]. The utter lack of interest in this fraternity was clearly evident during the rush events, where I was the only one to attend all of them.

Now, you may be wondering, "why the hell did you join if you knew that it was like this? Why jump onto a sinking ship?"

Well, I feel like this would be a great opportunity to test my character (my friend, who I mentioned earlier, has the same mindset). I feel like it would be a great accomplishment if I could help completely revitalize a failing organization.

And even if I fail, it should be an interesting experience, a funny story I could tell my kids and grandkids.

At [school deleted] there is a hierarchy of fraternities (as I'm sure there is at any school) and DU is pretty much at the bottom of the list. We can't afford to be selective. We basically have to beg people to pledge.

Never again.

My goal is to get us to the top of that list before I graduate. I want to get a bigger and better house. And I also want us to become more involved in the community.

So I found this site and have been browsing around for effective recruitment techniques. Downloaded the book called "Good Guys", read the entire thing in one sitting. It had some very good ideas but I must admit, it requires a fairly high level of social skills, which I have not yet fully developed (although I'm pledging now, the brothers say the process is supposed to make me more outgoing; we'll see).

I guess part of the reason why we have such low recruitment numbers is that DU is "non-secret, non-hazing". And this chapter actually lives up to those ideals. So I don't understand why there are so few who want to join - could the best and brightest leaders of tomorrow actually want to be hazed? Or maybe we don't haze because people will not tolerate it; the bigger and better the frat, the more harshly they haze, it seems. I don't know....

But what I do know is that something needs to be done now because the immediate survival of this chapter depends on it. If you have made it through this long post, then thank you for hearing me out. Any support or advice is welcome.
First off, I know of a few Delta Upsilon chapters and none of them had any issues pledging good quality men. So I am fairly certain that the whole "non-secret, non-hazing" thing is not the issue.

You stated that your goal is to get the chapter to the "top of the list" before you graduate. Is that the goal of the rest of the chapter? If not, you are going to have one heck of a time getting there. But it can be done.

As a way to start, you, your friend, and any other brothers with the same "mind set" recruit, pledge and initiate at at least three new members each who also have the same "mind set". The next semester, the eight plus of you do the same thing. You should then have at least 32 members with the same "mind set". As your numbers increase, so should your community and campus involvement. You keep this going and in a few years, you should be up near - if not at - the "top of the list".

Last edited by TSteven; 02-19-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: remove school name
Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Epic, Mr. Obama.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

well this isnt an unfamiliar song and dance

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?