GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,175
0 members and 2,175 guests
No Members online

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
True. In other words, many people seem to take surveys more seriously than they should.
I think the residents of the respective cities tend to take these things too much to heart. If you enjoy where you're living, great...just understand that your city may have a reputation (deserved or not) by those who don't live there.

For example, I love Boston, I really enjoyed living there for 7 years, and I would move back in a heartbeat if I could, but I understand there are some people who can't stand it there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
Yeah there was just not as bad as is it now.
I don't even know what you are talking about. Juarez in '05 was NOT bad at all, shoot Juarez up to the invasion of the Sonoran drug cartel wasn't bad. It was safe for people to walk around, I used to go to Juarez all the time and I never felt like my life was in danger. As for now, El Paso isn't bad at all (and although Pika2001 might have some more insight, there is not much "spilling over").
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
True. In other words, many people seem to take surveys more seriously than they should.
Except people in Camden, NJ...that place is terrible.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

my city is racist as hell

racist to the point to fuck itself over twice

Richmond, VA was one of the main points on the "slave trade triangle"

Is there a slavery muesuem in Richmond, VA? No, that made people uncomfortable, so they moved to the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Richmond, VA just happened also to be the Confederate capital during the Civil War (and it was a civil war because Virginian fought against Virginian) but is there a Confederate musem? No , not really. It's headquarted here, but only tax documents, etc. are there. The exhibitions have been split among three sepearate localities.

I really don't a give a s**t about the Civil War or Slavery, but if we had those musems, or how-ever-the-fuck-you spell museum, we could increase our tourist revenue by quite a bit. Enough to buy an up to date sewer system for when half the city floods, wheich is every couple of years or so.

Seriously, Pochohantos, John Henry, Henry Clay, Edgar Allan Poe, and Mr. Bill Bogangles Robinison all lived here, and no one knows where they hung out? I'm calling shennangings on Reverand Mayor, and everyone else in this commonwealth....we were one of the first cities, goddamnit, we shouldn't be one of the last.

/rant about local government corruption bordering on mayor daly/barry style levels of wanting-to-vomitude
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Well I can understand why Cleveland is on the list but I really do like it here My only complaint is when we get a couple of 60 degree days and then go back to snow. If it was cold the whole winter through I'd be fine lol. But I hear people complain about it all the time.

Not surprised to see Detroit, have an aunt and uncle up there and it just depresses me to go to visit them. Altho maybe that's just a little rivalry that I have with Cavs-Pistons ;p

Last edited by sceniczip; 03-09-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceniczip View Post

Not surprised to see Detroit, have an aunt and uncle up there and it just depresses me to go to visit them. Altho maybe that's just a little rivalry that I have with Cavs-Pistons ;p
No, Detroit is just that depressing.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
I don't even know what you are talking about. Juarez in '05 was NOT bad at all, shoot Juarez up to the invasion of the Sonoran drug cartel wasn't bad. It was safe for people to walk around, I used to go to Juarez all the time and I never felt like my life was in danger. As for now, El Paso isn't bad at all (and although Pika2001 might have some more insight, there is not much "spilling over").
The violence hasn't spilled over YET in El Paso but the fact that the cartels have operatives, money, and weapons within the city makes it probable that it could. If the mexican military actually do choke out the cartels in Juarez they may start operations here, or maybe head to another border town like reynosa or nuevo laredo, who knows. I did read that the Gov was thinking about returning the national guard to the border if any major cartel violence did come north.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
The violence hasn't spilled over YET in El Paso but the fact that the cartels have operatives, money, and weapons within the city makes it probable that it could. If the mexican military actually do choke out the cartels in Juarez they may start operations here, or maybe head to another border town like reynosa or nuevo laredo, who knows. I did read that the Gov was thinking about returning the national guard to the border if any major cartel violence did come north.
When I saw this story today, I thought of you guys and this thread.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Ahh, thanks for the info!

I don't think the Mexican military can do anything to the cartels, especially when so many are involved with the drugs. I laughed when the El Paso Times and the news stations said that the violence in Juarez plummetted when the 3000+ military came in. I just kept thinking, it's plummetting cause the cartel is more concerned about getting the military involved with them, than killing anyone.

The violence is bound to spill over especially since El Paso is allowing people like the mayor of Juarez & all those other "high ranking officials" to live in El Paso b/c they fear for their life.

It's not the best outlook, but i'm glad that El Paso isn't like Laredo or Phoenix or cities close to the border. We've managed to keep out the cartel.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Juarez in '05 was ok. There still was a few things going on but not as bad as now. I'll admit I loved going to Juarez to visit family and going shopping and go to clubs up until a year ago. But now even with the military there, there is less of a chance for me to go. The Mexican military is to be trusted as much as the cartels. I say this from experience by having my cousin murdered by them just in Nov. I will say that I have no problem going to the southern part of Mexico but the northern part of Mexico I will not go to until the military is out and the cartels can be managed but I really doubt that is going to happen anytime soon. As for anything spilling over into EP I agree with epchick as long as the high ranking officials are living there and also the connection with Barrio Azteca and Los Aztecas things are bound to happen.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 03-10-2009, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't agree with the new list....Jacksonville is much less depressing than Tampa Bay....

Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Anchorage is happy? Don't think so!

Since I moved to Anchorage - I have not seen more alcoholics or cigarette smokers in my life. People here always seemed pissed off. I never get friendly smiles or hello's from strangers. On the road everyone drives like an asshole. I wanted to laugh when I saw Anchorage on the "happiest" list. I am from Portland, Oregon and I would say Anchorage belongs above Portland on the sad list. There must be a better way to measure this than by the # of anti depressants sold. Lots of people here don't have healthcare, so they are depressed and never treated for it. They just drink beer instead. The smaller towns in AK might be happy, but Anchorage? Are you kidding??
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason I found this post is because I am searching for a happier place to live. A place where people are warm, friendly, and generous toward strangers. A place where people don't consider getting drunk a hobby. I want to be outdoors a lot, riding horses, hiking, having fun. I don't know where to live!!! But it needs to be a place where I can have a farm & acreage.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

In just a few hours, someone will come on with the sole purpose of letting you know about such a magical place with horses and acreage!