GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,892
Threads: 114,664
Posts: 2,156,716
Welcome to our newest member, qqelkrp
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 AM
ambitiouschick ambitiouschick is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Unhappy Work during rush week

So, I'm getting a new job (my first job, actually), and I am so afraid that I'll have to work during recruitment and have to either miss days or leave early! Any advice on this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 AM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,964
Let the Greek Life Office know as soon as you get your work schedule. They can usually adjust your party schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,200
Are you a PNM or a sorority member?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 AM
NYCMS NYCMS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 162
Can you delay starting your job until after recruitment or can you adjust your shifts to accommodate parties? If you're an active, I would think missing a few parties would not be an issue as I've known girls who had to missing a round or two due to family obligations (specifically a destination wedding of her brother).

If you're a PNM, then definitely contact Greek Life office to see how they can help.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,516
I saw that you are rushing at a small school with 4 sororities, so each round may only have one party slot for each group, depending on the number of rushees. If at all possible, try and delay the start of your job.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 PM
AlphaXi_Husky AlphaXi_Husky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Can you delay starting your job until after recruitment or can you adjust your shifts to accommodate parties? If you're an active, I would think missing a few parties would not be an issue as I've known girls who had to missing a round or two due to family obligations (specifically a destination wedding of her brother).

If you're a PNM, then definitely contact Greek Life office to see how they can help.
In response to the part I put in bold, for several chapters I've worked with an active missing a few parties can be a VERY big deal. There are bump groups or pairs lined up ahead of time that might be difficult to adjust. Or maybe there are a record number of women coming through (or there was more attrition than expected over the summer) and they need every last recruiter.

Of course exceptions are made for special events (like a destination wedding), but I haven't seen many chapters consider work a "special event".

As to the OP, I would agree that it's best to try and delay starting your job until after recruitment is over, if at all possible.
__________________
Autism Speaks & Alpha Xi Delta -Sharing the Love
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM
NYCMS NYCMS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaXi_Husky View Post
In response to the part I put in bold, for several chapters I've worked with an active missing a few parties can be a VERY big deal. There are bump groups or pairs lined up ahead of time that might be difficult to adjust. Or maybe there are a record number of women coming through (or there was more attrition than expected over the summer) and they need every last recruiter.

Of course exceptions are made for special events (like a destination wedding), but I haven't seen many chapters consider work a "special event".

As to the OP, I would agree that it's best to try and delay starting your job until after recruitment is over, if at all possible.
AlphaXi_Husky, very good point. This particular sorority chapter has over 350 members so a few girls away for something special like a family wedding would not seem to affect bump groups.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,206
One of my biggest regrets about my undergrad career was that I put my stupid retail job ahead of my college experience way too much. If this is a job which pays $9-$10/hour and has nothing to do with what you want to do in your post-grad career, you'll probably be able to find a different job paying around the same thing if they don't accommodate your schedule needs.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,200
Often actives who miss rush events will face fines for each party and/or day missed. Plans are made and practices done in the spring. Unexpected events that happen during the summer or during work week or rush are handled differently because sometimes unexpected things happen. But it is an obligation of membership to participate in rush as a member, because unlike some life events, recruitment doesn't just unexpectedly pop up. It is planned for ahead of time. My experience is with large chapters.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM
AlphaXi_Husky AlphaXi_Husky is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Often actives who miss rush events will face fines for each party and/or day missed. Plans are made and practices done in the spring. Unexpected events that happen during the summer or during work week or rush are handled differently because sometimes unexpected things happen. But it is an obligation of membership to participate in rush as a member, because unlike some life events, recruitment doesn't just unexpectedly pop up. It is planned for ahead of time. My experience is with large chapters.
I wish I could put a clapping meme here. It is a pet peeve of mine when members act surprised that they need to be available for both prep/polish/work/perfection days and recruitment.

OP - something to keep in mind in regards to having a job and being in greek life: it sounds like you are preparing to go through recruitment so I'm going to assume that's true. As an active, you will have to take even more time off from work as there will be prep time as well as the days of recruitment.

This doesn't mean you can't have a job and be greek, it just means you will need to find a way to accommodate both.
__________________
Autism Speaks & Alpha Xi Delta -Sharing the Love
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,862
If the poster is a sorority member:

We had the schedule in April so the expectation was that we'd plan around it if we had jobs. Most on-campus jobs (or places that employed lots of students) were cool with it as long as you gave them dates in advance.

In 99% of the chapters I've worked with, they have dates/schedules by March/April of the previous semester.

Emergencies happen (ex: one of my sister's bio sister was in a serious accident which caused her to need to leave recruitment ASAP) but work is not one of those. No fines here but missing had consequences.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,862
As far as PNMs missing recruitment parties:

I know that some schools I've worked with will allow you to tell your Recruitment Counselor in advance if there were dates you couldn't be present and she'd let the sororities know, WITH THE CAVEAT THAT they can do whatever they choose and that it does not guarantee that they won't drop you.

Ex: Suzie has band camp on Day 1 which is the first day to meet all the chapters and cuts are made for Day 2. She will miss all chapters that day. She tells her RC. The RC lets all the VPs of Recruitment know. The chapters decide "well we have room with RFM, she seems cool on paper, we'll go ahead and bring her back." or they choose to cut her. Up to the chapter entirely.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:17 PM
thetalady's Avatar
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitiouschick View Post
So, I'm getting a new job (my first job, actually), and I am so afraid that I'll have to work during recruitment and have to either miss days or leave early! Any advice on this?
As much as you have been posting about looking forward to rushing and hope to get a bid and join a sorority, I cannot understand why in the world you would let something like a job possibly jeopardize that. If your schedule can be tweaked to accommodate job requirements, I guess ok. I would very strongly discourage you from missing ANY rush activities. You don't have many chapters on your campus. Even an excused absence could mean the difference between getting a bid and nothing.

Understand that if you do get that precious bid, you may be in the same predicament. Are you constantly going to be required to choose between sorority participation and work? You are getting to be an adult and forced to make choices in your life. Choices have consequences. Be sure you consider what your priorities are. Time to put on the big girl panties!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM
NYCMS NYCMS is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
As much as you have been posting about looking forward to rushing and hope to get a bid and join a sorority, I cannot understand why in the world you would let something like a job possibly jeopardize that. If your schedule can be tweaked to accommodate job requirements, I guess ok. I would very strongly discourage you from missing ANY rush activities. You don't have many chapters on your campus. Even an excused absence could mean the difference between getting a bid and nothing.

Understand that if you do get that precious bid, you may be in the same predicament. Are you constantly going to be required to choose between sorority participation and work? You are getting to be an adult and forced to make choices in your life. Choices have consequences. Be sure you consider what your priorities are. Time to put on the big girl panties!!
I wish there were "like" buttons on here because this is so on point. My first thought with the original post was "will she have time for membership and all it requires?".

I had sisters who had part-time jobs but somehow they always managed to arrange their hours to work so they didn't conflict with required activities. That's why I thought this PNM should see if she could delay starting the job (and of course then there's the question raised about whether the job will prevent her participation).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-06-2018, 07:13 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,200
Exactly! Why would a chapter take a risk and invite someone they have not even met, when they are allowed a set amount of PNMs to invite back? Panhellenic can not require a chapter to invite a PNM back( well, unless you attend Tufts).
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Work Week Question adpiucf Recruitment 4 08-11-2006 03:14 PM
Tau Gamma Work Week??? AOTT_2003_EWU Alpha Omicron Pi 2 08-26-2004 12:59 AM
Best Work Week activity AXOKatie Recruitment 4 07-22-2004 11:57 AM
work week? rainbowbrightCS Recruitment 2 08-10-2003 11:50 PM
Fun during Work Week LilmissXO Recruitment 5 08-05-2003 10:57 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.