GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,100
1 members and 2,099 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Too Big Too Fast?

This past semester was an incredible semester for Recruitment in our chapter. Our Chapter, the smallest Chapter in the IFC (21 Members), managed to recruit the second largest New Member Class of the IFC (23 Members)

Our members have been nothing short of amazing. Incredible, enthusiastic, and reliable. I really have no problem with any member in the class, and I am confident that they are all going to be a good contribution, but I am a little worried.

It seems like we did a great job with our Recruitment this semester, but brothers are talking about holding a second pledge class half-way through the semester. Other brothers are talking about trying to double again in the Spring.

We're now caught up, for the most part, with the other IFC Chapters. I guess I don't see a reason for pushing such a rapid expansion. I would like to have a larger chapter someday, and I don't want to discourage the chapter from excellent recruiting, but I don't want our chapter to lose identity either. Is there such a thing as getting too big too fast?

What do you guys think? Am I being reasonable, or am I just being one of those old guys in the chapter who refuses to accept change?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think as long as you can keep up with new member education, brotherhood, retention, etc., then go for it. But that's a big IF. I personally would think waiting until spring seems prudent, but I understand those saying that you should strike while the iron is hot.

What does your fraternity headquarters say? Is your growth going to be at the expense of the other fraternities on campus? Is there an amount you can comfortably seat for meetings, etc?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
This past semester was an incredible semester for Recruitment in our chapter. Our Chapter, the smallest Chapter in the IFC (21 Members), managed to recruit the second largest New Member Class of the IFC (23 Members)

Our members have been nothing short of amazing. Incredible, enthusiastic, and reliable. I really have no problem with any member in the class, and I am confident that they are all going to be a good contribution, but I am a little worried.

It seems like we did a great job with our Recruitment this semester, but brothers are talking about holding a second pledge class half-way through the semester. Other brothers are talking about trying to double again in the Spring.

We're now caught up, for the most part, with the other IFC Chapters. I guess I don't see a reason for pushing such a rapid expansion. I would like to have a larger chapter someday, and I don't want to discourage the chapter from excellent recruiting, but I don't want our chapter to lose identity either. Is there such a thing as getting too big too fast?

What do you guys think? Am I being reasonable, or am I just being one of those old guys in the chapter who refuses to accept change?
do you mean you just got these 23 guys now, or last spring?

Either way, I would wait until they're initiated/integrated fully in the chapter and pulling their weight before you want to do the same thing again. The last thing you want is "old guys" vs "new guys" or pledge class cliques.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM

Make sure that you are getting guys who you think will be an asset to your chapter. Don't give out "Sidewalk Bids". That's a bid to any guy you see walking down the sidewalk. Your chapter might get some initial growth that way, but it won't help your reputation on campus to be known for taking anybody.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Either way, I would wait until they're initiated/integrated fully in the chapter and pulling their weight before you want to do the same thing again.
Exactly. If the guys end up not being productive they are going to recruit more unproductive guys like them. Then you're chapter will have a ton of internal problems.

FWIW, I think this semester you will have some growing pains. A large increase in members will definitely change the dynamic of your chapter. Take recruitment slower and don't focus on sheer numbers. You don't want to bring 20 more new guys into a chapter that doesn't know how to transition from a smaller operation to a big one. It will just spell trouble.

Your biggest challenge now is brotherhood-related.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Wise words so far. As for the growing pains lucgreek referenced, that change in the dynamic of the chapter will really hit- and can have negative repercussions- when that pledge class gets to a point where they are up for Executive Office assuming future pledge classes go back to being closer to what you have recruited in the past.

With a class this large, there will be change unless those 23 guys happen to be exactly like the 21 already in the chapter. And even if you have similar values and goals, the sheer size and voting power of the class is likely to inspire at least a natural instinct of jealousy.

It will either come via this class being unusually large compared to previous and future pledge classes, and thus having the voting power to essentially run the chapter, or it will come in the form of this class setting the stage for future large classes and a much larger chapter with more social and financial options that will inevitably bring a more enduring change. The 21 guys who were around before this change may like what this growth brings, or they may resent feeling like they are in a chapter that would no longer give them a bid if they were to rush to the larger chapter (this is a very real issue!) More than likely, some will tend to feel one way, and some the other.

This is not bad mind you, but it is a reality. Avoiding pledge class "cliques" is a key point 33girl raised. That always exists to some extent, but if there is non-productive hazing (versus productive hazing- ie doing legitimate work plus having a little fun all under the supervision at least a couple of sober actives) or if actives tend to "shun" hanging out with pledges until they are initiated- then you can expect that class will have a very strong identity of its own that could disrupt unity chapter-wide down the road.

Solid actives who care about the chapter and have a realistic perspective on fraternity life (ie this is a step towards maturity not the be-all of their existence), should be fine with positive change that comes with growth. Some will not feel that way. What matters most, though, is the good of the chapter in the long run in terms of stability- which means not just size, but reputation. As long as size and reputation are improving, the rest you can deal with.

Last edited by EE-BO; 09-08-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter went through the exact same thing. Just add about 5 to each number. It is really tough... Just recruit a moderate size class next semester and then slowly increase your yearly numbers because, in 4 years, you will have 20 people graduating and a small chapter again. You should aim to stay the same size for the next year and then aim to slowly increase from then on.

That's my 2 cents, at least.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
When you take in a big class (that's maybe even the size of your total fraternity), it is unbelievably difficult to undergo the organizational change that happens. Trying to keep them in line, constructive hazing, integration into the chapter, etc etc is really difficult.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to add one thing, I agree that growing fast is difficult- but the OP said his chapter is the smallest IFC chapter at this school. Trying to contain the growth is generally not a good idea in my opinion. In this environment, if a chapter is growing by bringing on a large number of guys who will be of credit to the chapter long term- then I really think that takes precedence over dealing with growing pains unless the chapter wants to remain small and is at a school where that is financially viable long term.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, be careful about the growth. I'm part of a relatively new chapter on campus, and one semester, we had a 120% expansion (that is, more pledges than actives).

While I'd say that our fraternity did overall change for the better, it was definitely an extremely scary transition that could have easily killed the chapter. The culture took such a huge shift that it almost felt like a completely different fraternity. Operations pretty much had to be completely overhauled, cliches developed, and isolated cases of member apathy took more than a year to resolve. Only reason why I think we held together is because we recruited based off our values.

The idea is: sure, the expansion may work, but you have to be very careful about it. Either way, it's a huge change.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
When you take in a big class (that's maybe even the size of your total fraternity), it is unbelievably difficult to undergo the organizational change that happens. Trying to keep them in line, constructive hazing, integration into the chapter, etc etc is really difficult.
I was a part of a large, culture-changing pledge class.

It's extremely difficult on a chapter. A large pledge class has the potential (and often does) to change the entire image, thought process, ideas, and overall attitude of a chapter. And if all (or most) of the above is something the older members don't agree with, you'll see a lot of them remove themselves from the chapter.

My chapter had growing pains for a good year and a half and it took us that long to get back to, and better than, where we were before.

Last edited by JohnnyCash; 09-10-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: wording
Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The culture change is whats killer.

The hazing and the logistics can be held up with alot of work. If you're lucky and rush properly, you'll be able to keep most of your culture other than the "culture of the small fraternity", which is what people always find troubling I think.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
The culture change is whats killer.

The hazing and the logistics can be held up with alot of work. If you're lucky and rush properly, you'll be able to keep most of your culture other than the "culture of the small fraternity", which is what people always find troubling I think.
I'm with you on the whole "culture change" thing. I understand that eventually the chapter is going to change. My biggest concern is whether or not this is too much change too fast.

Also... I meant to mention this before, but what do you mean by "constructive hazing". I get the feeling you don't mean scavenger hunts.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I applaud your ambition and your success. You say you don't wnat your chapter to lose identity...but you already have lost the identity of being the smallest fraternity on campus and that's good. Brotherhood is another word for friendship and friendship is enhanced when you're a member of the winning team. Take your newfound membership strength and focus on winning. Anything, everything. Win rush, win sports, win whatever Greeks compete in.
To get the most out of your undergraduate experience your goal should be to create a chapter reputed to be the 'top fraternity' on campus. The biggest isn't always the best but there is no 'top fraternity' that is small relative to the other fraternities. Continue your growth and concentrate on winning. The striving together to win creates brotherhood and a new identity that you will enjoy very much.