GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,422
2 members and 1,420 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Football Team & Rush

I didn't go to a school with a football team and all of our recruitment activities where in the Spring, so I'm not sure what advice to give my sons. They both are going to be playing on their college football team and they both want to rush. Will they be able to do Fall rush at the same time? Or should I tell them to plan to hold off until Spring? I don't want to list the exact school

Last edited by DGwithagrey; 07-29-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Tell them to talk to their coach. Some football coaches (including some in the SEC) won't let scholarship players rush or will at least very strongly discourage it. Fall rush is probably fine though because the houses realize the time commitment of football and will abbreviate or rework the schedule of pledging for athletes who pledge. My house has pledged baseball and cross country athletes before and I believe we did that.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I know at UNC there is a house with several football players currently (including the starting QB -- who pledged AFTER becoming the starter). I believe they all pledged during their Spring Semester. Most pledged during the Redshirt year. So it can be done.. but it is a timing issue.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Related query

Thanks guys! Would the same apply if they were not on scholarship for some reason? Sorry, despite attending every game and being a proud team mom, I really know nothing about the proper terminology, DH handled all of that

Last edited by DGwithagrey; 08-13-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I think if you're on the team--starter, bench player, scholarship, walk-on, etc-- you have to defer to the coach or your life will be hellish.

On a simplified level... Redshirt means you don't play any games for the year just practice and condition (hit the weights); obviously this mostly occurs the player's freshmen year. Sometimes players redshirt for medical reasons, too. Essentially it allows football players 5 years in total to play ball for 4 years.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for clearing it up. I'll tell them to ask their coach (that was what I figured my advice should be).
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

DGwithagrey, My husband played big-time college football and pledged (this was back in the stone ages), but, he said that the time committment for football was HUGE (and it is worse now, my son's bf plays for Rice and it is 7 days a week, 12 months a year - and we're talking Rice -so SEC big time football is going to be INTENSE). They may want to dig in a bit in their sport before pledging.

My husband says that back in his day, he really didn't do much with the fraternity, he couldn't have a "normal" pledgeship because he couldn't attend the scheduled events. He worried that they would kick him out, but they didn't, they were glad he was a member of XX, but he didn't have the same kind of bond with the other guys. In fact, the true bond he had was with the other members of the football team - blood, sweat and tears kind of bond.

Not trying to discourage you, but just laying out the realities of the situation as I know them.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGwithagrey View Post
Thanks guys! Would the same apply if they declined scholarships (money's not really an issue...) and are signed, not redshirting (that's joining without having been recruited, right? Sorry, despite attending every game and being a proud team mom, I really know nothing about the proper terminology, DH handled all of that)
I know that for many students, Greek life (or one's hopes of being Greek) can be a very important factor in choosing schools, but I cannot imagine giving up a scholarship simply to make it more convenient to pledge.

I guess if "money's not really an issue", then you probably have a different perspective. But making such a huge decision based solely on the premise that your sons would have an "easier" time pledging without the burden of a scholarship or coach on their shoulders, to me, is ridiculous.

Aside from that, there is no guarantee they are going to get bids. You might well be throwing that money away for no reason. Even if you can afford it, does it make sense to refuse it based on a "what if"?

BTW are they twins? Or are they in different schools, or different grades at the same school? You don't have to answer that, but you said that both your sons are in this situation.

PS Redshirting does not mean that they are a "walk on". Reshirting refers to the practice of having players benched (practice but not playing) for (usually) the first year to get used to and improve their game. Since NCAA only allows 4 years of play, if they got injured in let's say, the first game, that is one whole year of eligibility out the window. Some players who are injured at the end of a season may redshirt the following season bc they won't be healed enough to play the whole season. Not all freshman are redshirted, and not all reshirts are freshmen, but it happens regularly.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 07-29-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: ETA: redshirting
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I know that for many students, Greek life (or one's hopes of being Greek) can be a very important factor in choosing schools, but I cannot imagine giving up a scholarship simply to make it more convenient to pledge.

I guess if "money's not really an issue", then you probably have a different perspective. But making such a huge decision based solely on the premise that your sons would have an "easier" time pledging without the burden of a scholarship or coach on their shoulders, to me, is ridiculous.
From what I got from her post, whether they are signed or redshirting affects their scholarship status. I don't think they're about to change schools at this point.

You're being way too hard on this mom, IMO.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
From what I got from her post, whether they are signed or redshirting affects their scholarship status. I don't think they're about to change schools at this point.

You're being way too hard on this mom, IMO.
I don't mean to be. What I read is that they may be willing to give up the scholarship if it meant that their coach would go easier on them regarding pledging.

To me, throwing away a scholarship "simply" or "only" in order to make it more convenient to pledge, is a waste of money. If there are other reasons to give up the scholarships, and not have the coach/team/campus burden on their shoulders, that's one thing. But from what I read, it would be simply to lessen the conflict of pledging AND playing at the same time.

Mom/OP - can you clarify?

Let me add that it IS your money and if you can afford it, more power to you. I just cannot imagine being in that situation.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't think you were being impolite; however, I want to clarify that not being on scholarship has NOTHING to do with a desire to pledge. Honestly, my sons don't need an athletic scholarship to attend school--I'd rather not go into further detail in that regard. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGwithagrey View Post
I didn't think you were being impolite; however, I want to clarify that not being on scholarship has NOTHING to do with a desire to pledge. Honestly, my sons don't need an athletic scholarship to attend school--I'd rather not go into further detail in that regard. Thanks for the advice.

Ok, good, bc I didn't intend to be impolite. That's fine keeping your info to yourself; in fact, I suggest changing some of what you wrote. I wish them luck at school, and wish you luck having 2 kids in college.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been my experience that basically, those that participle in fall semester sports generally pledge in the spring. And those that participate in spring sports, generally pledge in the fall.

Now depending on the school, there might be summer rush happening right now. If so, they can attend the rush events now, hopeful secure a bid, and then pledge in the fall *WITH* the understanding that school related activities (i.e. football) come first.

Also, if a chapter is interested in them, and knows they are involved with football (sports etc.) the chapter may be more lenient regarding attendance at rush events and not require them to attend that many rush events. I know of some chapters that set up times for the brothers to meet with incoming athletes away from the scheduled general rush events. (As allowed by the IFC and the athletic department.) Again, all of this is with the understanding that football has to come first.

Otherwise, they might need to defer to the spring semester to rush. For what it is worth, at Kentucky (UK), the spring is when most of the football players pledged. Not that there were a lot who did pledge, but those that did, generally waited until the spring to do so.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

If its Tennessee then forget about it
Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
At Oklahoma you see some FB players pledge.
Same at Ole Miss.

I'm sure there are other schools.