GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,333
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, Jordandrose
» Online Users: 801
2 members and 799 guests
Jordandrose, SZISienna0

Old 04-14-2003, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy School Shooting @ New Orleans High School

Student shot to death, 3 wounded at New Orleans high school
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A gunman with an AK-47 automatic rifle shot and killed a student and wounded three others Monday at a New Orleans high school, police said. Four suspects were arrested after a sweep of the surrounding neighborhood.

New Orleans Police secure John McDonogh High School after a gunman shot and killed a student.
By Bill Haber, AP

Chief Eddie Compass said he did not know if the suspects were students at the John McDonogh High School, where the shooting happened about 10:30 a.m.

"Our tactical units have swept all the buildings. The children are completely safe," Compass said. The wounded were not believed to have life-threatening injuries, he said.

The suspects, who range in age from 15 to 19, were arrested about three blocks from the school. Police said they got a description of the getaway vehicle and arrested two in it and two in a house nearby.

He said charges have not been decided.

There was no immediate word on possible motive or how the gun got through metal detectors and guards at the school.

Anthony Amato, school system superintendent who has been on the job only since February, tried to calm parents but was heckled with cries of "where was the guard?"

One of the students, a 15-year-old girl, was in surgery at the Medical Center of Louisiana with more than one wound, spokesman Jerry Romig said. Two other girls, both 16, were wounded in the leg or buttocks. The identity of the dead student, a boy, was not immediately released.

Ninth-grader Garick Jacob, 14, said he was in the gym when it happened.

"Somebody pulled out a gun," he said. "They started shooting and I started running." He said he did not see the shooting but it sounded like about 30 shots, adding, "I was really scared."

John McDonogh High is in the Mid-City neighborhood, about a mile north of the French Quarter on Esplanade Avenue. The school is one-block from the Degas House, where the French painter Edgar Degas stayed with relatives when he visited New Orleans in the 1870s. It is now a bed-and-breakfast.

Traffic in the area was shut down, and hundreds of people gathered outside, some of them crying. Parents were not allowed inside.

Darlene Claiborn, a mother who rushed to the school, said her daughter called her from inside a classroom on a cell phone.

"How can this happen in a school?" she demanded. "They have guards in there. They're supposed to have security."

In another, unrelated campus shooting Monday, a gun went off in a Shreveport school — apparently accidentally — while one student was showing it to another, hitting the second boy in the stomach, police and school officials said. The student who brought the gun ran away; police were looking for him. The wounded student was in serious condition.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Girl, N.O. is getting out of control. This kind of BS has got to stop.