GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,764
1 members and 2,763 guests
Mooch279

Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

A Sophomores Spongebob Recruitment!

In less than 4 days I will begin recruitment at the University of Arizona! I am really really excited!!! I want this to be a live rush thread so I will post daily during rush! My school has 11 different sororities which I have codenamed as SpongeBob Characters. I'm going through recruitment as a sophomore with a 3.0 GPA. Unfortunately I wasn't able to gather any recommendations to any of the houses like I had hoped for, but I'm remaining optimistic. This year there will be around 1200 girls rushing with me! Wish me luck!

Here are the code names for the 11 chapters:

Spongebob
Patrick
Squidward
Sandy
Gary
Mr.Krabs
Mrs.Puff
Plankton
Mermaid Man
Barnacle Boy
Pearl
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and I am the first in my family to go greek
Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

spongebob is my absolute favorite cartoon! good luck going through, remember especially as a sophomore to keep your options open, you never know where you might find your home. go sandy, gary and mr. krabs!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck.I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

YEAH to a UA recruitment thread!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-12-2011, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Woohoo University of Arizona!!! I went through recruitment last year. You can read my story (link below) if you want.
I hope you find your home! All the houses at UofA are just awesome.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank You Everyone I Will Keep You Posted Starting Monday
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow today was a blast! I'm was so relieved to find several sophomores rushing besides myself! I already started making new friends and it's the best feeling to know that these girls could be my potential new sisters! Tomorrow morning I will visit half of the houses and I couldn't be more excited!!! Both my Rho Chi's are funny and genuinely caring based upon my first impression. Keep you all posted tomorrow!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited for you! You're gonna have a BLAST!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Spongebob is the best! Good luck, I'm excited for you!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay so today we got to visit 6 houses! I knew to expect chants and singing, but the houses far exceeded my expectations!

Mr.Krabs- The anticipation of waiting silently in line to the clock to strike 10:30am on the dot was killing me!!!! The campus clock chimes and the double doors swung open, two women introduced themselves as the recruitment chair and chapter president Then the powerful screaming began and I had to walk through it! A woman greeted me by name and then seated me on a beautiful chair in the living room. I couldn’t believe how loud it was inside the house and how I practically had to yell everything at my rusher. We started talking about basic rush talk and then we really got into our majors, we had similar majors so there was a lot to talk about. Then we somehow drifted onto the topic of philanthropy. I really like this chapter’s philanthropy and how hands on it was. This is something that was really important to me when choosing a house. Somewhere in our conversation the recruitment chair came over and spoke to me and said how nice it was to meet me. (I know I shouldn’t, but I took this as a good sign..) Later on in the conversation I met another sister who was as involved with cheerleading as I was. The bell rang and it was time to leave already and I was sad because I was having such a good conversation with my rusher! I can’t explain it but I just felt so comfortable at this house and that the women were genuinely interested in getting to know me.

Gary-I was really nervous for this house simply because I had never heard of any sophomores being chosen. I loved the upbeat energy all of the girls had. My rusher took my over to a rug where we sat and discussed all of the basic knowledge. She was then bumped by another sister who was also very sweet. However, I think she broke a recruitment rule. She made a comment like “there are totally no good boys on this campus don’t you agree?”
I thought boy talk was a no-no? But anyhow I played along and told her how I had a boyfriend of 2 years and we talked about that until another sister came up to bump. She was soooo beautiful it was intimidating! She was sweet but we started talking and somehow ended up on the subject of hair-care and organics and idk but it seemed sort of superficial. It was a great conversation but it didn’t tell me anything about their chapter. That sister was then bumped too (yes I got bumped soooo much here, hope thats good) and I met my final rusher who was very sweet as well. We talked about why she chose that chapter and
She told me that the girls were goofy and she loved that. I liked that too. I want to go back here and learn a few more things so I can learn a better impression.

Patrick-I was overwhelmed at first by this house it was very hard to hear. My rusher was very nice but I wasn’t sure we would click at first. Then somehow we ended up on the topic of sugar and she talked about the houses chef and how amazing they were. We then talked about my high school volunteering at a horse rescue when another sister came up and bumped. That sister happened to LOVE horses and we chatted about that for a while until another sister came along who happened to professionally compete in horseback riding competitions! So we all talked about that for a long time and then the final rusher met with me. I felt like she wasn’t trying to be fake or overly happy but it was just enough for me. She told me that she loved her chapter because they were funny and goofy and did childish things still like play hide-and-go-seek in the chapter house! I could relate because I still liked to be a kid at heart. I definitely want to see the patrick’s again. I met with a lot of girls here too!

Barnacle Boy- The first rusher I had was very sweet and I could tell she was a little nervous. It was comforting to know she had joined as a sophomore too! These girls were really fascinated by my major.I thought I was so cool that the entire chapter knew each other (180 girls total) I could see such a strong sisterhood bond in this chapter but I am not sure whether or not it was for me. I am willing to revisit them for sure though.

Sandy-These girls were so incredibly SWEET! My rusher and I actually discovered we lived in the same room in the same dorm our freshman year! It was so cool and then we started talking about choir and I was really enjoying myself when a sophomore bumped and I got to talk with her for a while. She was really sweet too though I can’t remember what we chatted about. Soon after I was bumped to speak with a senior who was awesome! We covered everything from majors to movies and I was so excited I spoke with her! Leaving the house I was kinda sad that I couldn’t stay more and that this house seemed to be everyone’s favorite. I know we can’t all end up there but I would feel privileged to see them again!

Last House But One Of My Favorites Coming In....

Spongebob- I felt instantly welcomed by the girls and they were so sweet and down to earth! I had the normal rush talk with my senior for a bit but I liked how she asked me about my family and that kind of thing, then another sister my age came along to bump me she commented on my tattoo and we talked about that for a while. I told her that I felt like I should show my self as a whole and not hide a tattoo that is a part of me and she felt the same way because she herself had one. Another sister came along who I instantly recognized from the year before! We had met as freshman at a conference for our scholarship. She had made rush look so fun last year and played a tiny part in me wanting to rush this year. I told her that and she said that truly touched her. I hope I left a good impression on this house because I really wanted to go back!

As Day One Sadly Ended I Choose:
Mr.Krabs
Spongebob
Sandy
Patrick
Gary
Barnacle Boy

Last edited by SunKiss; 08-17-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

that was so fun to read! It sounds like you had a great day. As a U of A student, its fun to read these stories and try to guess which chapter is which just by the little information you give.
Hope you have another amazing day!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Today I visited the remaining 5 chapters and it helped shaped my decisions a little bit more.

First up I visited Squidward, I was kind of nervous because I know this is also a very popular house on campus but I could definitely feel comfortable here. My rusher actually rushed as a sophomore so that made me feel really welcome and relaxed. All of the sisters were sweet and bubbly and girly but all were so different. We talked about everything from sophomore rushing, to school, to my major yet again. I met another sophomore and we talked about classes we had taken and groups we were involved with on campus. I would really enjoy to go back to this house. They were very different from myself but I still felt like I could fit in.

Plankton- Now I had not thought I would like this house at all and that they would just fade into the background. Boy was I WRONG! I was guided over to the piano bench and I had a wonderful conversation with a girl who rushed as a sophomore and it made me so happy to meet so many girls like that. We started talking about my major when another sister came up who was my age and we talked for a while about academics, which was pretty important to me. We briefly touched on their philanthropy when another sister stepped in. I told her how much I really wanted to be involved with a hands on philanthropy and how I wanted to give back. She seemed thrilled about this and revealed to me that she was actually the philanthropy chair! I left this house feeling really good and I definitely wanted to return.

Pearl- I was really hoping to like pearl because through my eyes they were down to earth and really fun. I wasn’t really sure how to feel about this house. I met one girl and we talked about singing and sports in high school. A sister who was very sweet but a little spastic bumped her. She was very enthusiastic about her chapter but was a little all over the place. But it warmed my heart when she told me how accepting the chapter was of its members. An older member bumped this girl and we began talking about their philanthropy. This chapter’s philanthropy had personal ties to me so I was really happy about it. This woman also revealed to me she was the philanthropy chair! (I seemed to meet so many!) She told me heartwarming stories but I still wasn’t so sure when I left.

Mermaid Man- I was reallllyyyyy excited for this chapter! I knew a few girls there but I obviously didn’t get to talk to them. All of the girls I met were incredibly easy to talk to. Conversation flowed and we covered everything about the chapter. Their philanthropy was actually related to my major so that made me really excited! About half of the 5 girls I met also rushed as a sophomore too! And they assured me that sophomores are just as accepted as anyone else. I was so happy when I left and I hope I can go back tomorrow!

Last but not least:

Mrs. Puff- This was another house I wasn’t so sure of but this time I fell in LOVE! This house was so down to earth and I didn’t feel like any of the girls were putting on a false personality. They all truly supported each other and I could see how genuine they were. Something about this house really spoke to me; they were the girls I wanted to be. They were scholarly, fun, sweet, involved, and caring. If I joined this chapter I could see myself growing as a person and that these women would truly be there a lifetime.
Selections were the hardest decision to make! We just needed to rank out bottom three houses in order from most liked to least liked. I reluctantly chose:

1.Gary
2.Pearl
3.Barnacle Boy

I know it’s a lot to ask, especially as a sophomore, but I’m hoping I have a few houses to visit on my schedule. I know it only takes one in the end though. Wish me luck!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you are having a great time.

To echo AZTriDeezy, I'm totally trying to guess which house is each code name. I think I know who plankton is though, but I'm guessing so therefore it stays to me.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure who is who in her code, but she ended up happy on Bid Day
I'll tell her not to forget this thread!!! haha