GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,299
3 members and 2,296 guests
Cookiez17, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
AzTheta, if you look at all of the Lilly sorority prints, they all have letters on them (Tri-Delta, KD, DZ and Kappa). A friend of mine has a Kappa tote, and it's stinkin adorble.
I don't know if the next sorority prints will just be accessories, like what's available now. I'll get myself a tote, and my sister something smaller in the DG print.

http://www.lillypulitzer.com/accesso...dgift,sorority

(Zuma is my addiction!!!! I didn't think I'd beat you this time. lol, I'm still not even in my top 5. I blame it on having a laptop!)
OK, I went and looked & found the tiny letters for DZ, KKG, and KD. The Tri-Delta print has "Delta Delta Delta" written out and worked into the print. Now I'm really curious to see what Lilly will create for all the sororities selected!

Here's what I know about the use of our letters:

The words "Kappa Alpha Theta" and "Theta," our Greek letters, and the coat-of-arms are registered trademarks of Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity.

I'm searching for the document that specifies where and how our letters can be used, and not having any luck.* The active who's designing t-shirts for the chapter asked me about appropriate use of our letters, so I know there's a document somewhere that specifies this. I wonder if Lilly will do something for Theta like was done for Tri-Delta in terms of working our name into a design.

*I'll come back and edit this post to add the information as soon as I find it (which may be a while, crazed day ahead).

[there are a few days left in this week's Zuma Blitz challenge, so it ain't over yet, IL, I still have a chance to overtake you.]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
OK, I went and looked & found the tiny letters for DZ, KKG, and KD. The Tri-Delta print has "Delta Delta Delta" written out and worked into the print. Now I'm really curious to see what Lilly will create for all the sororities selected!

Here's what I know about the use of our letters:

The words "Kappa Alpha Theta" and "Theta," our Greek letters, and the coat-of-arms are registered trademarks of Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity.

I'm searching for the document that specifies where and how our letters can be used, and not having any luck.* The active who's designing t-shirts for the chapter asked me about appropriate use of our letters, so I know there's a document somewhere that specifies this. I wonder if Lilly will do something for Theta like was done for Tri-Delta in terms of working our name into a design.

*I'll come back and edit this post to add the information as soon as I find it (which may be a while, crazed day ahead).

[there are a few days left in this week's Zuma Blitz challenge, so it ain't over yet, IL, I still have a chance to overtake you.]
I have to assume that Lilly is buying the rights to be an authorized vendor. There's no way they're doing this without permission.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to all the ladies in organizations that are getting Lilly prints!

I won't lie that I'm kinda sad about it, but bigger orgs = more votes = Lilly print, and there were some fantastic orgs chosen! Can't wait to see DG and Chi O in particular! I love the anchor & owls as symbols and can't wait to see how Lilly does them up
Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I was really sad that we didn't get one. I'm not always a huge fan of Lilly's prints (a lot of them are too garish for me), but I LOVED the other sorority prints they've done. The worst part for me & the girls in my chapter is that out of the 6 sororities on campus, everyone BUT us will now have a Lilly print (and we are a very Lilly school).
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I saw IrishLake's comments on the Lilly thread and was just tickled. At least we can agree on something, when she's not giving me a beating on Zuma Blitz.

Personally, I wonder just exactly what Lilly can do with black and gold. I'm hoping for a black on black shift of some sort that women of any age can wear. Pansies, not so much. Kites? *shrug* I'll just be interested to see what the design team creates. I wouldn't mind a purse or tote bag or something of the sort.

Some of the disgruntled comments were ludicrous. For the love of Mike, it's a clothing line. It's not brain surgery or a Rhodes Scholarship.

Kappa Alpha Theta restricts the use of our greek letters to a very limited number of applications/contexts. So, I was surprised to read above ^^^ that Delta Zeta letters were incorporated into a print. Then again, each GLO has its own policies.
I was shaking my head. There were definitely some girls that were drunk on Hater-ade
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I was kinda disappointed my GLO urged our members on our Facebook page to vote in this contest. It's a for-profit enterprise, and I guess I just felt like something was "off" in having the GLOs lobby their membership to urge a company to have products available in special prints for us...as a competition. This was nothing but a publicity stunt for LP, and the only reason they aren't issuing prints for all of the GLOs now is because they know they can re-run this contest later and get more publicity. In the meantime, sore feelings are created as sororities battle other sororities over something as ridiculous as a scarf or makeup bag. I just think it's kindof a crappy move, if you ask me.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm sorry, but if someone has ACTUAL "sore feelings" toward a brand because her sorority doesn't get a print, they have bigger issues. Really.

Would it have been cool for Sigma to have one? Sure. But at the end of the day, they're just scarves and handbags, folks.

That's why I posted those crazy comments from FB (see page 2 of this thread), because I found it hilarious that people were REALLY upset over this.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I was kinda disappointed my GLO urged our members on our Facebook page to vote in this contest. It's a for-profit enterprise, and I guess I just felt like something was "off" in having the GLOs lobby their membership to urge a company to have products available in special prints for us...as a competition. This was nothing but a publicity stunt for LP, and the only reason they aren't issuing prints for all of the GLOs now is because they know they can re-run this contest later and get more publicity. In the meantime, sore feelings are created as sororities battle other sororities over something as ridiculous as a scarf or makeup bag. I just think it's kindof a crappy move, if you ask me.
Yeah, I agree. I think that doing it by popular vote may not have been the best idea, since obviously bigger groups have more votes. Nobody complained when they arbitrarily selected the first round of prints. I think that's what they should've done, personally.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'm sorry, but if someone has ACTUAL "sore feelings" toward a brand because her sorority doesn't get a print, they have bigger issues. Really.

Would it have been cool for Sigma to have one? Sure. But at the end of the day, they're just scarves and handbags, folks.

That's why I posted those crazy comments from FB (see page 2 of this thread), because I found it hilarious that people were REALLY upset over this.
That's exactly what I mean. But there are always going to be people who get upset when their sorority doesn't "win" - I mean, you see how carried away some women get when it comes to winning things like homecoming, greek week, Derby Days, etc. Why would this be any different? That's why I didn't like that my IH was promoting this competition - it was all a publicity stunt for LP, and why should my sorority be actively promoting LP?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
Yeah, I agree. I think that doing it by popular vote may not have been the best idea, since obviously bigger groups have more votes. Nobody complained when they arbitrarily selected the first round of prints. I think that's what they should've done, personally.
Publicity of course. Way way more people got involved and will buy their expensive crap now.

I think it kind of suggests something about the cachet of a brand that they're marketing themselves like this, but I'm of the "don't get it" group so I'll stay out of it.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
I think some people would still call foul- while they didn't say why they chose the first 4 sororities, a lot of their visible members at large are alumnae of GLOs and I'm sure people would jump down their throats if their next round of prints were their orgs.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Eh, I'm a little disappointed that Sigma Kappa wasn't chosen, but happy for my sister that ADPi won. At least now I know what to get her for her birthday this year.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to all the sororities getting prints, I'm sure they're going to be adorable! I can't wait to see the Theta, DG and Alpha Phi prints around campus.

I really hope that if Lilly Pulitzer does something similar next time they're making new sorority prints, they'll consider including Alpha Phi Omega in the voting choices. Yes, we're a fraternity, but we are co-ed and a lot of our Brothers would love an APO print, including me!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

While I understand people are upset with voting and the way it turned out, Lilly Pulitzer is first and foremost a business. They make decisions based on what will give them the biggest profit. So groups that likely have a lot of members/a lot of members who will buy the merch is obviously what they're going to do. I think people went into this with the mindset we usually have for a greek competition. Obvi it was a publicity stunt, and they aren't doing this to make everyone happy but to make money. They aren't going spend money producing something that won't make $$$. I think the angry people don't realize that.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
While I understand people are upset with voting and the way it turned out, Lilly Pulitzer is first and foremost a business. They make decisions based on what will give them the biggest profit. So groups that likely have a lot of members/a lot of members who will buy the merch is obviously what they're going to do. I think people went into this with the mindset we usually have for a greek competition. Obvi it was a publicity stunt, and they aren't doing this to make everyone happy but to make money. They aren't going spend money producing something that won't make $$$. I think the angry people don't realize that.
True, but it's not like the only GLOs that were left out were small. I'd dare to say that every group that made it to the top top 9 has 100,000+ collegiate members. That's a lot of buying power. I think it would have been prudent for them to produce all 9. While not every member, collegiate of alumna, will buy a Lilly product, there are a lot of people who would buy more than one.