GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,072
2 members and 1,070 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post
I'm not sure why you felt the need to include chapter size...
I think chapter size is an interesting statistic. Not from a house to house comparison but from a growth of the sorority numbers at a school. For example, at San Diego State house size was about 100-125, in the past 3 years new member classes have grown and house total is now 180+ which has created all sorts of new challenges. Housing , budgeting etc. And it can show it is time to add a new chapter.

That's my 2 cents

GPhiB
Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I also think it shows that, as I posted earlier this season, in one of these threads, that all the chapters are so large that you are bound to find a group within the larger group with whom you feel "at home" whether you are a scholar, athlete, party girl, introvert, leader, follower, actress, musician, cheerleader, etc. However, happening to meet that group during recruitment rotation is a roll of the dice, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
I think chapter size is an interesting statistic. Not from a house to house comparison but from a growth of the sorority numbers at a school. For example, at San Diego State house size was about 100-125, in the past 3 years new member classes have grown and house total is now 180+ which has created all sorts of new challenges. Housing , budgeting etc. And it can show it is time to add a new chapter.

That's my 2 cents
It is an interesting statistic. But, we don't have past statistics posted here. We have one year of data. Let's get real and admit that some will look at those totals and make harsh judgements. Why is it so important for GC to know what each chapter's size is? It's not. I find it incomprehensible that people would rather know and make it harder for the smaller chapters to recruit b/c of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It is an interesting statistic. But, we don't have past statistics posted here. We have one year of data. Let's get real and admit that some will look at those totals and make harsh judgements. Why is it so important for GC to know what each chapter's size is? It's not. I find it incomprehensible that people would rather know and make it harder for the smaller chapters to recruit b/c of it.
Good point, harder for those of us from chapters where Total is 45, so none of these chapters look "small" to us. I guess a range like "total membership ranges from 150 to 200" would also give us the type of info we'd like to know.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Every chapter there is doing well from this midwestern girl's POV. All did well w/ recruitment and I leave it at that. Congrats to all.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, the harsh judgments probably wouldn't make much sense to anyone who is going to UGA. There doesn't seem to be a very tight relationship with "tiers" and size, as near as I can tell, in these days of release figures and quota additions.

A couple of groups are under total and will probably be CORing, but they are completely within striking distance of total, and that's worth celebrating too, especially if you look at the membership progress they are making.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the official total anyway? I thought recently it was 180-- so most of these would be above.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post

That's my 2 cents
It's not up to those on GC to decide whether or not UGA needs another chapter. That is up to the school's Panhellenic.

Quote:
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wow, chapter TOTAL at my school is about the same as the size of a NM class at UGA.

ETA: Let the speculation about numbers and tiers and sizes and stigmas start now.
seriously
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C. a Pi Phi View Post
What is the official total anyway? I thought recently it was 180-- so most of these would be above.
I actually thought it was 170 but I don't know.

ETA: does anyone remember what the UGA thread was called last spring when four groups were CORing? I thought it had the figure for total.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-01-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM

Total is posted if you know where to look.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Thanks! How could I have forgotten!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good answer!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow! Your research and compilation is AMAZING! Very imformative.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Was I misunderstood ?

[quote=texas*princess;1710028]It's not up to those on GC to decide whether or not UGA needs another chapter. That is up to the school's Panhellenic.
Texas Princess, you may have misunderstood my intent. I was not making a judgement about total/expansion. It is ALWAYS up to a Panhellenic to make that decision. However, statistical information is used in making that decision.

It is also a positive for all NPC and others to see such an interest in Greek Life! I'm thrilled to see the numbers increasing across the country.

GPhiB

Last edited by MerryGPhiB; 09-01-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga View Post
Good morning; my daugther will be going off to UGA in the fall. She wants very much to join a sorority. She has 4 she really likes in case she does not get in to her first choice. She has attended the AOII run for the roses for the last couple years; she even stayed in the house last year and fell in love with AOII. All the high Schools in GA have huge 09 classes so we are estimating this freshman class at UGA will be quite large. What advice do you all have for her and how is the best way to get the recs - she has stated she needs at least 2. What should we expect from sorority life for her; we have the cost as stated on the panhellenic site but I am betting like cheerleading there are alot of other costs.

The Atlanta Panhellenic Alumnae will be hosting an event this saturday as an information session but unfortunately my daughter is committed to an event for her high school sorority where she will be reliquinishing her leadership position to juniors.

Thank you
I think that it is great that your daughter has been able to see a portion of Greek Life at UGA up close, and no doubt that has caused her to fall in love with that one group. Once she is able to see all of the groups she will be able to see that all chapters at UGA have a great sisterhood, activities, opportunities to live in the house and amazing friendships, just like the one that she has previously visited.

All that to say, I strongly caution your daughter to go into a recruitment like UGAs with a chapter "that she loves" even if there are a few others that "she really likes." When over 1000 PNMs are going through the same recruitment for 17 (I think?) houses, there will have to be deep cuts from each one of them. Most of the girls who drop out of recruitment do so because they had their heart set on only a few houses, and often those houses are unable to invite back everyone that wants them. With emotions running high, this is when many PNMs drop out.

Instead your daughter should consider all of the houses, and go into recruitment with a very open mind. Again, all of the houses can offer her an amazing college experience, and perhaps one is even a better fit for her than the one that she has been able to spend time with.

As for recs, I would have her contact the Atlanta Panhellenic groups and just let them know that she can't make it this weekend and what does she need to do to register. Yes, recs are a must for UGA. She can also ask teachers, ladies at the church, neighbors, friends' mothers, etc. In a city like Atlanta it is not hard to secure a rec for each house, and having her do the legwork is the first step to demonstrating the responsibility and readiness for being in a chapter.