GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,422
0 members and 1,422 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
100 Students Arrested - which fraternity is involved?

Nothing specific yet in article, just that "fraternity members" are involved...

Nearly 100 students at San Diego State arrested in drug bust

May 6 12:38 PM US/Eastern

By ALLISON HOFFMAN
Associated Press Writer

SAN DIEGO (AP) - The San Diego County district attorney's office says nearly 100 students have been arrested at San Diego State University on drug- related charges.
Drugs, cash and guns were seized from sellers and buyers in the bust that followed a five-month undercover operation.

Prosecutors say the 96 arrests include fraternity members.

Defendants are scheduled to appear in state court to face charges Tuesday afternoon.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I prefer the cnn.com version of the story. They omit the detail that fraternity members were involved and instead highlight that some of the arrested are criminal justice and homeland security majors, which is a *much* more relevant (and frightening) tidbit, IMHO.

ETA: okay, the updated CNN article does mention fraternity affiliations... but again, to me the story is about the declared majors of so many... including one guy who was to graduate this month with a master's in homeland security.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 05-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Chi-San Diego State UN-Drug bust

Have been trying to find it on FoxNew, but reported 100 people busted for drugs and weapons and T X was in the middle of it supposedly!

Hope someone else can get more or better link and place it here.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Have been trying to find it on FoxNew, but reported 100 people busted for drugs and weapons and T X was in the middle of it supposedly!

Hope someone else can get more or better link and place it here.
So let it be written, so let it be done.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...30#post1645930

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/06/...ust/index.html
Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Supposedly Theta Chi members and one other fraternity were involved. This was passed on to me from someone warching the program. Their site is not totally updated as of yet.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The news release alleges a member of the Theta Chi fraternity sent a mass text message to his "faithful customers" saying he and some others temporarily would be unable to complete orders for drug sales due to a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada.

The text message went on to discuss a "sale" on cocaine and gave details on reduced prices, the news release said.
This is in the new article on cnn.com - wow, how dumb can you get? A mass text message?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
From the article:
Quote:
The news release alleges a member of the Theta Chi fraternity sent a mass text message to his "faithful customers" saying he and some others temporarily would be unable to complete orders for drug sales due to a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada.

The text message went on to discuss a "sale" on cocaine and gave details on reduced prices, the news release said.

One student allegedly dealing cocaine was a month short of obtaining a master's degree in Homeland Security and worked with campus police as a student community service officer.
Wow, if that is not the height of stupidity. They were begging to be caught.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:40 PM

For real. Ummm, code words, people.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It also includes members of Phi Kapp Psi.

What a damn shame as a couple of the maroons wanted to know if it would hurt their chances with the FBI and HomeLand Security!

Some were working on advanced degrees.

I would venture to say that their Nationals will pull their Charter.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

This is truly sad.

Last edited by baci; 05-06-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Updated and members of Phi Kappa Psi also involved.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...I'm surprised I haven't heard about this yet, considering I'm in SD. Crazy, especially with some of the majors they have.
Mrs. Lovett: You're barking mad! Killing a man what done ya no harm! Sweeney Todd: He recognized me from the old days. Tried to blackmail me. Half me earnings. Mrs. Lovett: Oh, well that's a different matter then. For a moment there I thought you lost your marbles.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

An ABC site says, among other things:

"As part of the investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency and San Diego State University police say they infiltrated seven fraternities on campus, finding that most or all of the members were aware of the drug dealing activity in their organizations. "

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4796845&page=1
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
An ABC site says, among other things:

"As part of the investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency and San Diego State University police say they infiltrated seven fraternities on campus, finding that most or all of the members were aware of the drug dealing activity in their organizations. "

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=4796845&page=1
The way this news is developing, I'm wondering if any sororities were also involved.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW...I wonder what the fallout will be for the greek system at SDSU. This is something I could see closing down the whole system.

Here's the article on the cover of MSNBC:

Dozens of college students busted in drug sting

They were 'preying on' others, San Diego State University president says

SAN DIEGO - Nearly 100 people, most of them students, were arrested in an undercover drug investigation at San Diego State University that began after a student's fatal cocaine overdose last spring, authorities said Tuesday.

Authorities seized several guns, at least $60,000 in cash, marijuana, psychedelic mushrooms, hash oil, methamphetamine and illicit prescription drugs, authorities said.

Two kilograms of cocaine and 350 ecstasy pills also were seized, officials said, who added that several more people were being sought.

"These people were preying on our students," SDSU President Stephen Weber said at a press conference.

Eighteen students were arrested Tuesday when nine search warrants were executed at various locations, including seven fraternities, said Jesse Rodriguez, San Diego County assistant district attorney.

At one fraternity, prosecutors alleged, all members were involved in drug dealing.

About 75 students faced charges.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24487818/