GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,251
0 members and 1,251 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2002, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Non-NPC-affiliating locals?

I'm curious.. many local sorority threads (and, from what I've seen, newer local sororities) seem to be mostly interest groups hoping for colonization from national GLOs.

Are there any locals that are remnants of closed GLO chapters that aren't interested in doing the national thing or even locals that like the sorority ideas but wanted to do it their way?

I know there are some which are mostly multicultural (like mine is desperately trying to be) ... are there more locals that are trying to STAY local? Tell me about your chapter, please!

Greekgrrl

Last edited by Greekgrrl; 06-28-2002 at 11:47 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2002, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

My local chapter will never affiliate with a national. The reason my sorority was started was because our founding members were pledges of a national group. They did not like how things were run and broke themselves off and even took a member from the existing group. The group that they broke away from is no longer on campus. Over the years my local sorority has done very well and we've been around 13 years. NPC tried to expand more sororities at our school in the early to mid 90's. Kappa Kappa Gamma was very interested in us but my sorority is very dead set on not affiliating with another group. It's not that we have anything against NPC, we just like the little extra freedom we have. We can change our rules if we don't like them and $10 a month is very cheap! We do see some of the advantages of belonging to a national group but we are very satisfied with staying local.

www.alphathetachi.net

Last edited by AOX81; 04-25-2002 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:52 AM

Re: Non-NPC-affiliating locals?

I think that Iota Beta Chi (Nova Scotia, Canada) is a local and intends to remain one.
Same with Alpha Omega (Ontario, Canada). You can see their lovely links here!

IBX:
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi

AO:
http://www.wlu.ca/%7Ewwwss/greek/alphao/
Old 04-25-2002, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school there are more local than national sororities. Two of the strongest are Phi Gamma Chi and Beta Phi. I know neither one of these groups wants to be national... and they both have websites if you want to check out what they are all about.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school NPC has asked us about having an associate membership, which is a bit different than going national and we declined. As it is now, we do not have to follow NPC or NPHC rules and we have a little more flexibility. I think it would be harder for a multicultural org. like mine to make a decision like that because of the simple fact that we are historically multicultural.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KRXAlum
Thumbs up Staying Local

I am an alumni of a local sorority, Kappa Gamma Chi. At one time, in the early 1900s there were three KRXs (two in New England and one in Ohio). I know one went national, and I believe the other closed. Our chapter is the only KRX left and we have been local for 100 years now. So I think it safe to say were going to stay local Not that there is anything wrong with national, but we have been strong as a local for this long, so why change it.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Tallahassee, Florida, USA and Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Sisterplum
CutiePie2000 is right...well one of them for sure!!!! I am a sister of Iota Beta Chi sorority. We have never thought of affiliating with a national. It's never been an idea for us. We love being a local and making the rules as we go along!

We are, however, constantly looking to expand and have other chapters of our local (so I guess we're trying to become our own national....lol!)

CutiePie2000.....thanks for the comment about the "lovely links". Do you really like our site?! Just wondering cause I take personal pleasure in people who like our site....my husband made it for a class while he was still at Dal and I am the current webmaster of the site!