GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,209
2 members and 1,207 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Shimmy

Wassup NUPES,

I'm a member of a group on facebook called "Funny Greek Shhhh From Around The World 5.0" and a ole skool bruh went on this rant on how the Shimmy was the gayest shit ever blah blah blah and I thought I'd bring it here and discuss it. I myself don't see a problem with it but I do understand how some brothers may have problems with some aspects of the frat. Some of the older Kappas don't like certain gestures that're done with the Kane and I myself have a problem when some bruhs "Oose". So my question here is how do you all feel about the subject of the Shimmy.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveByNature View Post
Wassup NUPES,

I'm a member of a group on facebook called "Funny Greek Shhhh From Around The World 5.0" and a ole skool bruh went on this rant on how the Shimmy was the gayest shit ever blah blah blah and I thought I'd bring it here and discuss it. I myself don't see a problem with it but I do understand how some brothers may have problems with some aspects of the frat. Some of the older Kappas don't like certain gestures that're done with the Kane and I myself have a problem when some bruhs "Oose". So my question here is how do you all feel about the subject of the Shimmy.
Strolling has changed a lot since I pledged. The Shimmy has changed to the point that if it was done back then the way it's done now, I wouldn't be doing it. I don't think any of the older brothers are going to really care for some of the strolling that's being done today. However, what a lot of older Nupes need to understand is they had their day, let the younger undergrad brothers have theirs. I do love our step shows, though. In fact, I think the step shows are a whole lot better now than they were when I was an undergrad. I just don't really care for the strolling/shimmy (the way it's done, now) it looks silly. But then again, I'm too old to be doing that anyway LOL.

What's the "Oose"?

My thoughts on the other aspects of the fraternity: I think today, a lot of the younger brothers are singing chants that I'm not happy with. We said some crazy things back in my day, too, but some of the things I've heard during probate shows today, are really disappointing and it makes the fraternity look bad. I'm also disappointed in the way I've been seeing some of the younger brothers dressing. Nupes are supposed to be well dressed, sharp and clean cut. Anything less than that is not Kappa. I'm seeing saggy pants, and t-shirts with silly things (regarding women) on them.

The stereotype of us being well dressed, I'm all for that. I'm also all for being cocky, but I'd rather see "cocky" but humble. I have more respect for a humble man than I do an arrogant one. It's okay to joke about the Kappa stereotype, but when it's acted upon (the womanizing, arrogance (not being humble) etc.) then, I lose respect for a man who does those things, brother or not. Some of the most immature, childish, and unhappy men sleep with a multitude of women.

Those are my thoughts about the Shimmy and other aspects of the fraternity that I'm unhappy with.

Good thread, Nupe. I wish there were more of us on here to discuss this.
Romans 1:16
Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
My thoughts on the other aspects of the fraternity: I think today, a lot of the younger brothers are singing chants that I'm not happy with. We said some crazy things back in my day, too, but some of the things I've heard during probate shows today, are really disappointing and it makes the fraternity look bad. I'm also disappointed in the way I've been seeing some of the younger brothers dressing. Nupes are supposed to be well dressed, sharp and clean cut. Anything less than that is not Kappa. I'm seeing saggy pants, and t-shirts with silly things (regarding women) on them.

The stereotype of us being well dressed, I'm all for that. I'm also all for being cocky, but I'd rather see "cocky" but humble. I have more respect for a humble man than I do an arrogant one. It's okay to joke about the Kappa stereotype, but when it's acted upon (the womanizing, arrogance (not being humble) etc.) then, I lose respect for a man who does those things, brother or not. Some of the most immature, childish, and unhappy men sleep with a multitude of women.

Those are my thoughts about the Shimmy and other aspects of the fraternity that I'm unhappy with.
Not a Kappa but have plenty in my family. They always take pride in the fact of being well dressed. I remember my cousin always saying, "It's expensive being a Kappa (not saying the other word out of respect)", because of the amount of money he spent on clothes and being well dressed.

These days it seems the bad side of hip hop (saggy jeans, repping Gangsta insert chapter name and actually trying to live it) is changing not just Kappa but all frats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

What's the "Oose"?
It's a call before a chant...They go "Oose, Oose...Oose Oose Ooooooo"...it's done before our usual echo call...I've only heard it here in MS but I'm hoping it's only done here lol...

Last edited by SuaveByNature; 07-29-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
These days it seems the bad side of hip hop (saggy jeans, repping Gangsta insert chapter name and actually trying to live it) is changing not just Kappa but all frats.
Hip-hop = the voice of youth

Collegians = youth

In the 1970s, Greeks who were made in the 1950s and before might have complained that the "bad side" of the black militant movement was negatively changing the aesthetics of Greek life also.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
Not a Kappa but have plenty in my family. They always take pride in the fact of being well dressed. I remember my cousin always saying, "It's expensive being a Kappa (not saying the other word out of respect)", because of the amount of money he spent on clothes and being well dressed.

LOL @ "it's expensive being a Kappa". That could be a siggy.

The saggy pants were in when I was an undergrad (it was tacky then as it is now), but, I don't like seeing t-shirts like "Nupe Juice, a taste "akuired" by women" ...or whatever. That looks really tacky. With the saggy pants, IMO, that comes from upbringing, not necessarily the bad side of hip hop.

With nalia, I wore Kappa cardigans a lot when I was in school, and collegiate pullover Kappa sweaters. I'd like to see more of this or similar.

Now, this is Kappa.

Quote:
It's a call before a chant...They go "Oose, Oose...Oose Oose Ooooooo"...it's done before our usual echo call...I've only heard it here in MS but I'm hoping it's only done here lol...
LOL I can't say that I heard that one, Phi. When I go back to CSU for homecoming this year, I'll ask our neos if they do it. Now, I'm curious, I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 07-29-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL I can't say that I heard that one, Phi. When I go back to CSU for homecoming this year, I'll ask our neos if they do it. Now, I'm curious, I'd like to hear what it sounds like.
I'm not sure if it's done anywhere else but I know I've heard it in MS done by different chapters here. Check out this vid...fast forward to 0:40...you can hear it in the background...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyvXLlPMVY

Last edited by SuaveByNature; 08-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's done anywhere else but I know I've heard it in MS done by different chapters here. Check out this vid...fast forward to 0:40...you can hear it in the background...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyvXLlPMVY
It was hard to hear, unless I was hearing Deltas. That's what it sounded like, to me.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kappachino3Klub
Quote:
Wassup NUPES,

I would have to agree with PB on a lot the points he made, especially regarding dress. My LB and I were talKing about it and now you Kan't tell the difference (visually speakKng) between a NUPE and some of the other GLOs. I remember when I was in high sKool, one of my first experiences of the bond was at a homeKomeing game..my aunts took me to the game and at half time about 20 NUPES strolled in..Klean...suspenders, bow ties, Kardigans, loafers..my first impression was "damn these dudes are fresh to death!" I asKed my aunts who were they and their response was.."Them damn Kappas!!" Now I'm proud to be one of "them damn Kappas" as they put it, and stay Klean every Khance I get!!

YO YO to all my Debonair NUPES!!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I can certainly understand the older generation Nupes taking issue with the modern shimmy. Personally, I don't have a major problem with it. It's amazing how shimmys change over time. I graduated college in the early 2000s, but I pledged during the latter half of the decade. The shimmys that I've seen since I joined are drastically different from the shimmys that I remember during the late 90s and early 2000s. Modern shimmys appear to be more like freak dancing compared to the traditional/classic shimmys, and to some Nupes, today's shimmys aren't real shimmys.

What I am not in favor of is Nupes who carry themselves like thugs. Nupe and "thug" shouldn't even go in the same sentence, but some of the brothers fit the attributes of a thug to a t (and they're proud of it). During my college days, most of the Nupes on the yard were well-dressed, and they were gentlemen. They were especially known for wearing bow ties. In fact, the person who taught me how to tie a bow tie was a Nupe. The brothers on the yard almost always carried themselves respectfully. As far as sagging is concerned, I thought that practiced played out in the 90s, but many are still doing it. I've NEVER done that; not only is it unbecoming of a Nupe, it's unbecoming of a mature man. Even before I became a Kappa, I always prided myself on looking clean and dapper, and that has carried over into Kappa. Most importantly, I've always tried to remain a chivalrous, humble gentlemen.

Don't want rant too much, but there are some practices today that I do not think should be associated with Kappa Alpha Psi.

Last edited by Suavesince1911; 03-07-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm the same way with my attire. I don't wear bow ties, though. I'm more casual if anything, but I'm always neat, and clean just as a Nupe should be, and a man overall. I think the saggy pants works accross the board. "Works" meaning that it's not just Nupes that are being thuggish. I've seen other frats wearing saggy pants, too.

With the Shimmy, strolling in general changes with the decades, I think. You'll have Nupes from the 70s saying that Nupes who pledged in the 80s aren't strolling traditionally, you'll have Nupes in the 80s saying that about Nupes who pledged in thge 90s and so on. I pledged in 03', and some of the strolling started changing around the late 90s at my chapter, so I think a lot of it depends on the chapter, and how quickly that chapter adapts to new moves.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think strolling is moreso a new school thing. I wonder if Nupes actually strolled in the 70s. I could probably envision them doing it during the late 80s, definitely the 90s and beyond.

I know that step shows have been around for a long time, but the strolling and shimmying aspects probably started over the past 15-20 years. Although, I could be wrong on that.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavesince1911 View Post
What I am not in favor of is Nupes who carry themselves like thugs. Nupe and "thug" shouldn't even go in the same sentence, but some of the brothers fit the attributes of a thug to a t (and they're proud of it). During my college days, most of the Nupes on the yard were well-dressed, and they were gentlemen. They were especially known for wearing bow ties. In fact, the person who taught me how to tie a bow tie was a Nupe. The brothers on the yard almost always carried themselves respectfully. As far as sagging is concerned, I thought that practiced played out in the 90s, but many are still doing it. I've NEVER done that; not only is it unbecoming of a Nupe, it's unbecoming of a mature man. Even before I became a Kappa, I always prided myself on looking clean and dapper, and that has carried over into Kappa. Most importantly, I've always tried to remain a chivalrous, humble gentlemen.

Don't want rant too much, but there are some practices today that I do not think should be associated with Kappa Alpha Psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontagious View Post
I've seen other frats wearing saggy pants, too.
I agree with both of you, but it comes from upbringing. What I wear is very important to me, too. I just believe that if you can't do something with passion and dedication, then don't do it at all. Men, develop passion when they are confident in their masculinity. Until then, they are using their energies to worry about their image and trying to prove their manhood. Whether these men are greek or non-greek, when they dress/act like thugs, I believe they know that deep down inside, they should strive to be honorable, respectful, well-dressed, etc. but to some men (because of upbringing) those ways are sometimes the easiest to recognize but often the most difficult to live out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavesince1911 View Post
I would think strolling is moreso a new school thing. I wonder if Nupes actually strolled in the 70s. I could probably envision them doing it during the late 80s, definitely the 90s and beyond.
I agree. I could be wrong, but I also always have believed strolling to be an 80s/90s thing.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
[B][I][COLOR=darkred]

With nalia, I wore Kappa cardigans a lot when I was in school, and collegiate pullover Kappa sweaters. I'd like to see more of this or similar.

Now, this is Kappa.

*Runs in* LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!! *Runs Out*
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
*Runs in* LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!! *Runs Out*
LOL thank you for the compliment, NP.