GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,320
1 members and 1,319 guests
g41965

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

UW EFS During Rush Week

Hey I'm going to be a freshman this fall at University of Washington but I am also participating in Early Fall Start. I want to rush, but rush week overlaps with my final week of EFS and I'm worried that this will conflict. Anyone have any advice from personal experience?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Is EFS kind of like a thing to give a boost to your academics?

If so, the scheduling may be trying to tell you something.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

First question - Did you attend Greek Preview? The would have been a great place to get this question answered. The first thing you need to do is talk to your academic advisor as well as the Greek life office to see if there is anything you can work out or what they've done in the past. Just looking at the EFS schedule and knowing a little bit about UW recruitment, it is hard to see how you would work both, but you need to speak to the Greek life office and the advisor to see if there is a way around it.

I taught in HS in Washington for quite a while, so I have a passing familiarity with EFS. As I understood it, the purpose was primarily to help students acclimate to acadmics in a university setting and to give them a slightly lighter load fall quarter. It was only worth about 5 credits total. This isn't a huge academic advantage.

I'm not at all suggesting you should forego it in favor of sorority recruitment - I don't know your history as a student, why you are participating in EFS or how interested you are in sorority life. If it turns out you can't do both, is there a reason why you feel you need to do EFS?

After all of that, I will now shut up and defer to someone from UW.

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-15-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
I taught in HS in Washington for quite a while, so I have a passing familiarity with EFS. As I understood it, the purpose was primarily to help students acclimate to acadmics in a university setting and to give them a slightly lighter load fall quarter.
This is what I was trying to say but it wouldn't come out of my fingertips. It's not so much a credits thing as a transitioning thing. Can you be required to attend it as a condition of enrollment?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

While I did not participate in EFS when I went through recruitment (it wasn't offered when I was at UW), I have seen a number of PNMs come through in the recent years who are enrolled in EFS classes, and have had successful recruitments. In fact, the recruitment schedule was changed a couple of years ago to accomodate EFS students - none of the parties start before 1pm during the work/school week (though the first day, Sunday, is a long one and starts earlier).

Now that said, I would definitely still call the Panhellenic office and ask them for more details on whether your class specifically will conflict with your recruitment schedule. From what I've seen in the past and from looking at the EFS website, it doesn't look like you'll have to miss a recuitment party (unless the time of your final isn't in the morning), but doing both at the same time doesn't leave a lot of time for studying either. You will need to be very good at managing your time that week. It can be done though!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl - Alpha Xi Husky would be better qualified to answer this, but out of the roughly 50 friends my kids had that went to UW (all within the last 5 years), I think one went to EFS- maybe. I believe it is strictly a student/parent preference thing that they offer. I would be surprised if they require it of anyone since your academics need to be pretty strong to get into UW in the first place, but I could be wrong. UW is huge (40,000 plus students), so I think they feel that for some kids having a way to ease into it (class sizes are much smaller for EFS) helps.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is what I was trying to say but it wouldn't come out of my fingertips. It's not so much a credits thing as a transitioning thing. Can you be required to attend it as a condition of enrollment?
From my understanding, EFS is purely an optional thing. Now it may be that some people could be required to take it as a condition of enrollment and that's just not spread around, but I think if those cases exist they are few and far between.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
33girl - Alpha Xi Husky would be better qualified to answer this, but out of the roughly 50 friends my kids had that went to UW (all within the last 5 years), I think one went to EFS- maybe. I believe it is strictly a student/parent preference thing that they offer. I would be surprised if they require it of anyone since your academics need to be pretty strong to get into UW in the first place, but I could be wrong. UW is huge (40,000 plus students), so I think they feel that for some kids having a way to ease into it (class sizes are much smaller for EFS) helps.
Gotcha. So it's less of an academics thing and more of a way to prevent kids from freaking out when HOLY FRIGGIN CRAP THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE IN THIS HEALTH CLASS THAN THERE WERE IN MY ENTIRE HIGH SCHOOL.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^That came out of your fingertips perfectly! Yes, that sums it up well as far as I know. Speaking strictly as a teacher, I would say its a darn good idea for them.

A Xi Husky - Thank you for correcting the info on the scheduling. I had assumed that given the sheer number of sororities at UW, recruitment would be an all day/every day thing.

Okay, so in one brief morning I've given UW credit for a good idea, and thanked a Husky. I need to stop now otherwise I may have to drive myself over to Nike headquarters, turn in all of my Duck gear, and beg Uncle Phil for forgiveness.

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Okay, so in one brief morning I've given UW credit for a good idea, and thanked a Husky. I need to stop now otherwise I may have to drive myself over to Nike headquarters, turn in all of my Duck gear, and beg Uncle Phil for forgiveness.
Or you could give me any and all football tickets for this season. It's what Uncle Phil would tell you to do for penance.

It is a great idea though. There are so many people who freak out at class sizes, a little introduction wouldn't be a bad thing.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^That came out of your fingertips perfectly! Yes, that sums it up well as far as I know. Speaking strictly as a teacher, I would say its a darn good idea for them.

A Xi Husky - Thank you for correcting the info on the scheduling. I had assumed that given the sheer number of sororities at UW, recruitment would be an all day/every day thing.

Wait, you're a Duck? Boooooooooo.
(kidding!)

Recruitment is still an every day thing, just shifted more towards the latter part of the day than right in the middle. But with that shift, and given that there are 17(!) sororities now, it can go pretty late into the evening - during one of the days it won't end until after 9pm. Makes for some late nights.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

See, WC, this is why I love young Ducklings - never lose their focus - look for any opportunity to get those tickets! .

I would happily help you out, but they are no longer in my price range (heard a rumor that Cal tickets were going to $81 ), and I refuse to watch because I superstiously believe they will lose if I do. Hence the reason many of my beaver and husky friends offer to buy me tickets!

Interestingly, none of the Cougar friends offer. Apparently, even my presence is not enough to help them.

Yes, Alpha Xi - I am a proud Duck, but given the results of the past -what is it now - 8 years (?), I figure I can afford to be gracious to the Huskys (lol).

Those would be incredibly long days. I can't imagine what its like for the girls in the chapters! Daughter told me at one time they had a two day break between the end of recruitment and the start of school. Is that still true? I can imagine they need it.

I'll add one more UW compliment before football/basketball season starts, and I'm just physically incapable of it (great, now I'll owe WC basketball tickets too); UW has the prettiest Greek Row (or Greek Rows, technically) in the Pac-12 (still sounds odd).

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.