GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,582
1 members and 1,581 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for a Chi Omega ending!!! I had a hunch that was who Candy Apple Red was but that was still a nice surprise! :]

As for the question of the poster's credibility, I can say that it is not THAT unlikely that her chapter initiates in the same semester. Although it is a national policy to wait until the semester following their new member period, I know of a few chapters that don't do this. UF, for example, considers it hazing if new member classes are not initiated within X amount of weeks.

Great story!
.-"-"-
Old 04-21-2009, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

On sharing, don't forget the big things like microwaves, minifridges, tvs and rugs. Def. cheaper if your daughters are in one room. Even if your roommate shares the cost of some of these things it never ends up exactly even.

On initiation, my daughter was initiated 6 weeks after recruitment, in the same semester. I know it surprised me that it was so quick. And there is a chapter of Chi Omega at her school.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

From my experience (back in the day) you pledged early on first semester and you were not initiated until well into the second semester. If you were on trimesters it seemed like ages. Now, many schools pledged and initiate the same semester. It is very common and for numerous reasons.

As for costs when it comes to having twins - when I was in school nearly every dorm charged different fees based on the location of the dorm, its age, demand, how many in a room, and the bathroom issues. It could very well be cheaper for a parent to have twins living in the same room together. Of course they would share things and this would also save money. I would have loved to share with my sister, why not?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've tried to be nice about this and sent you PMs for which you have NOT responded, but NOW, I've had a real problem with your story. After reading your quote above, I don't believe you. For one thing, I am the mother of twins who went to college and had different roomates the first year. They lived in the same dorm with different roomates. It is the same price if the roommate is the twin or if it is another person. You seem to be making this whole thing up. If not, my apologies. There are a few points to your story that don't add up Especially, the initiation dates.
If it is true, good for you.
Wow! This is just ridiculous! What's with the inquisition?

If you read Cougargrad's posts (who has been here for a while), it is obvious that she knows the poster who started the thread. So, unless it is some grand conspiracy, I would venture a guess that the story is as accurate as she remembers.

I could post my recruitment story from the early 80's, and I am sure that many of the details would be fuzzy and perhaps inaccurate. It wouldn't make the fact that I am an alumni member of a sorority any less true.

Considering I can hardly remember my children's names, I would expect to be given some leeway in my memory of events that happened over 25 years ago!

Can't we act "panhellenically (sp?)" and with good faith and cheer?

Besides, I like a good story

Oh, and ditto to the rooms costing different amounts depending on the bathroom situation, whether its a suite or just a double, etc.

Last edited by srmom; 04-21-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Well said srmom.^^

It is really sad at times how people treat others on GC. Yes, there have been some bad apples, but to witness this ripping people apart is ridiculous.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

( Psssst . . . I believe the comment about remembering children's names was meant ironically.)

eta - and yes, twins going through recruitment is an inside joke of sorts.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-22-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
Wow! This is just ridiculous! What's with the inquisition?

If you read Cougargrad's posts (who has been here for a while), it is obvious that she knows the poster who started the thread. So, unless it is some grand conspiracy, I would venture a guess that the story is as accurate as she remembers.

I could post my recruitment story from the early 80's, and I am sure that many of the details would be fuzzy and perhaps inaccurate. It wouldn't make the fact that I am an alumni member of a sorority any less true.

Considering I can hardly remember my children's names, I would expect to be given some leeway in my memory of events that happened over 25 years ago!

Can't we act "panhellenically (sp?)" and with good faith and cheer?

Besides, I like a good story

Oh, and ditto to the rooms costing different amounts depending on the bathroom situation, whether its a suite or just a double, etc.
Well said, and thank you. If you were to ask me about something that happened 20 years ago, I might be fuzzy on the details. It is a cute story and if someone has doubts they can ask questions without rudeness.

Thank you, 66 Camaro, for sharing.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
( Psssst . . . I believe the comment about remembering children's names was meant ironically.)
Umm, yes, I do actually know my children's names haha

But, I do admit to having to run down the names sometimes (including the dogs' names) when I'm really P.O.ed!

As in, (names changed to protect the innocent) "Johnny, Timmy, Billy, Spanky, OH YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! GET DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!!"
Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm the biggest cynic there is when it comes to these things, but ChiOmegaMOM2, I have to tell you that you are completely out of line. Your daughters' current experience at FSU can't be compared to someone else's experience 20 years ago at UH. You may feel you are an expert on Chi Omega, but being as you are not a member, you are only privy to those things your daughters share with you.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I know identical twins who both went Chi Omega at different schools during different semesters.

I guess Chi Omega is the way to go if you're a twin.

Loved your story, and congratulations!

@~/~~~~
Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I know identical twins who both went Chi Omega at different schools during different semesters.

I guess Chi Omega is the way to go if you're a twin.
That's so cute!

The twins I know who went through recruitment both went Delta Gamma...but then again, their school doesn't have a chapter of Chi O!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Twins may go Chi O but . . .

We have a picture of Gamma Phi Beta triplets in our current magazine.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

The Adelphean ran an article on numerous multiples a couple of years ago. It was interesting, as there was a time when my own chapter had two sets of twins!

I have to say it, when I heard Angie & Aimee, I knew exactly what music that their parents listened to and when!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

ADPi has had 2 sets of twins since I went through recruitment in 2006. ZTA had one twin and DG had the other, they were IIX's at the same time in 2006.TriDelt had a set that graduated in 2005 and currently my chapter has a set Twins are pretty cool lol.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh no, I sure did not mean for my story to cause any controversy! It has been a long time now, 20 years, and I remember most things clearly, or at least I like to think I do. What I can explain, which hopefully will clarify any questions that anyone may have, is that for a time, our school had an interim director of Greek Life who was not Greek herself. She ran things according to her strictest "on paper" interpretation of school and Panhellenic policies with the sororities' individual policies following "secondarily" if you will, because that is how she believed things were best done. When the new Greek Life director (who had been a Sigma Kappa in Tennessee- perhaps at Knoxville, but I don't remember for sure) was hired, several things gradually changed and ran more smoothly, as the chapters were allowed to follow our (inter)national guidelines more closely than we previously had. I hope that makes sense.

Also I will say that, since 65Mustang and I roomed together, we had one mini-firdge, one television, one microwave (which we hid in a closet when not using it- because at the time they were against dorm policy), one hair dryer, and one car. We were allowed to have our own bottles of shampoo and curling irons. We lived one year in the dorm I described in my story, then moved to another dorm on campus which had smaller rooms with non-movable, built-in furniture and community bathrooms on each single-sex floor (which was still cheaper than the first dorm due to the smaller rooms and community bathroom!), and we lived in that dorm for 2 years. That second dorm is where we met Cougar Grad.

And I did receive one private message, which was not ignored, but as I mostly came online here to tell my story, I had not answered the questions yet.

Thank you all again for reading, and for enjoying it!