GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,797
0 members and 1,797 guests
No Members online

Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Some people are being really nasty when I think the girl could have been misinformed...

The same exact thing happened to me where pref day rolled around and I had my first and last choices. My RC told me to put both on my bid card even though I told her flat out I wouldn't want a bid from my last choice. She told me "putting the other one on there will give you a better chance at getting your first choice". So I listened to her. That and when they were going over all the rules regarding signing the card, they said "dont worry about reading it, just sign the bottom, it's nothing important".

Now that it's a new year I'm really pushing all my friends who are interested to learn as much as they can about the process before hand so that the same thing doesn't happen to them (and I'll be going through it again as well after waiting a year). Things happen, be sad for a little, but don't keep a chip on your shoulder the whole year because of it. Because if you decide to try again next year, they probably will remember you, and you don't want to be remembered for being a "moody macy" who held a grudge all last year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoStarr View Post
Some people are being really nasty when I think the girl could have been misinformed...

The same exact thing happened to me where pref day rolled around and I had my first and last choices. My RC told me to put both on my bid card even though I told her flat out I wouldn't want a bid from my last choice. She told me "putting the other one on there will give you a better chance at getting your first choice". So I listened to her. That and when they were going over all the rules regarding signing the card, they said "dont worry about reading it, just sign the bottom, it's nothing important".

Now that it's a new year I'm really pushing all my friends who are interested to learn as much as they can about the process before hand so that the same thing doesn't happen to them (and I'll be going through it again as well after waiting a year). Things happen, be sad for a little, but don't keep a chip on your shoulder the whole year because of it. Because if you decide to try again next year, they probably will remember you, and you don't want to be remembered for being a "moody macy" who held a grudge all last year.
Very good post for a newbie! Welcome to GC and good luck on your next recruitment!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone who tells you to not read the fine print should be strung up by their fingernails. Here's your life lesson of the day - the more anyone says that to you the more carefully you should read it. The fact that they're trying to hurry you along is no excuse.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

so you're not a chi omega? your name gc name made me think that you were.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
so you're not a chi omega? your name gc name made me think that you were.
no, she's just kiss hug starr.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My RC told me to put both on my bid card even though I told her flat out I wouldn't want a bid from my last choice. She told me "putting the other one on there will give you a better chance at getting your first choice". So I listened to her.
This could be true, depending on how quota additions work at your school. If you only put one chapter down, you would not have been eligible for quota additions. Because you put both, you were eligible. If your QAs are based on your preference, then you could have matched to your first choice as a QA if both chapters had already filled their pledge classes before you were placed.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

*Note: This is what I wrote to another cry-baby PNM in another thread. This is how I feel and I have no problem expressing that.

Boo-Hoo! Get over it! These ladies chose you and you are being really unfair to them. There are other girls who would LOVE to have what you have right now. Get OFF the computer and go spend time with these ladies. This is just shameful.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

she already rejected the bid
Old 09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
she already rejected the bid
Oh, then let me rephrase. You missed out on Greek life because you thought you were "too good" for the sisterhood that wanted you. Thank you for rejecting the bid and not bringing down the rest of your pledge/ new member class. I stand by the "boo-hoo" though.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
no, she's just kiss hug starr.
^^ correct. I thought that was potentially a bad idea after making my username but figured since it was lowercase I could get by. I use the same username on other (non-greek) forum sites too.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
How sad that you consider getting a bid that YOU put on your card a disaster

YOU KNEW YOU DIDN'T WANT TO JOIN THIS CHAPTER and signed the card anyway? What a waste.

If you had such strong feelings that you would not want to be a member of this chapter, why in the world did you take the place away from another girl who would have loved to be a member? If your feelings were this strong, it is my personal opinion that you should have gone with single intention preference (suicide). Now that you have done it, I agree that you should give it a try instead of walking away a quitter, but only if you can honestly be a positive member.

Maybe this will be a learning experience & you will make better decisions in the future.

THIS IS WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAY YOU CHEW GIRLS OUT EITHER WAY! Listing all groups or not listing all groups you preffed. Either way, we don't like what she did.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
THIS IS WHAT I MEAN WHEN I SAY YOU CHEW GIRLS OUT EITHER WAY! Listing all groups or not listing all groups you preffed. Either way, we don't like what she did.
You are being deliberately obtuse by ignoring every other response to you on the matter.

Stop being the politeness police (or continue and watch people not give a shit.)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I'm just pointing out that either way, a PNM didn't do the right thing. But go ahead and make a bitch comment because thats all you do
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM

Still don't see any chewing...

However, I think the issue is that PNMs aren't being fully educated on their options and what it means to list/not list.

Do, or don't. I don't care either way, but be informed on what your choice means for you.

Obviously, if you list, you should know that you COULD get a bid there (even if it's your 2nd or 3rd choice.) Sometimes Panhellenics will kind of gloss over this just tell you "you have to list ABC as your 2nd, but don't worry, PNMs usually get their 1st choice anyway." This is not always the case.

Same with not listing. If you're going to not list a chapter or 2, you need to be informed that it COULD lead to you not receiving a bid. If you've been told this (which I suspect that some PNMs aren't) it seems really silly to show up here like OMG WTF BBQ I GOT RELEASED when you knew it was totally possible...

I know every PNM who only lists one chapter wants to think "oh XYZ loves me so it'll all work out" but that's not always the case and you should be prepared for an unfavorable outcome.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, I'm just pointing out that either way, a PNM didn't do the right thing. But go ahead and make a bitch comment because thats all you do
You're really boring. And misogynistic.