GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,259
2 members and 2,257 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Salary Question?

Ok so Ive been working at this job now for a year, will be a year end of this month.

When I first started I was working as a temp from a temp agency and after 90 days, they hired me on permanent. At that time, we talked about salary and I said I wouldnt stay on unless I got something more because in those 90 days, I got a lot more responsibilty.

Now its almost a year and Ive gotten even more responsibilities as well as my own secretary. My problem is that when I started I wanted experience and didnt really worry as much about the money and we have had soem really bad times with secretaries, this is my 5th one.

Anyways, in order to get a good one, he hired her and is now paying her more than I make, but all she does is answer the phones and file.

What do I do? I asked for a review and he wont get back to me on it and I really like this job, but I cant work somewhere where my help is making more just becasue she has a child to support and I dont. I have the college edu and I am the office manager.

Any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

You need to be more forceful with the review idea. Set up a meeting with your manager & insist on speaking about your performance when you get there. Even if he/she has nothing prepared then you should have your questions to ask regarding your performance. If they insist on having time to prepare for a review, you should insist on scheduling another meeting within the week. And then tell them you'd also like to speak about a raise based on your performance at your rescheduled meeting.

Its all about not letting them skirt the issue.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

My favorite method of being assertive in cases such as this is sometimes called the chicken method, but if you're willing to dig in your heels, it works every time. It's the broken record.

You decide what you NEED to convey, for instance (and I don't know how much this is true): "I have been here 9 months, have had to train five secretaries, and am now getting paid less than the one I have. I need a raise."

He will respond something to the effect of, "Well, she has a child..."

You repeat, "I guess I didn't make myself clear - I have been here 9 months, have had to train five secretaries, and am now getting paid less than the one I have. I need a raise."

He says that good secretaries are hard to find.

You repeat, "I know - I have been here 9 months, have had to train five secretaries, and am now getting paid less than the one I have. I need a raise."

and on and on, repeating the same thing until he starts to realize that you're standing pat on this. The bottom line is that you DID train five secretaries, and YOU have nothing to do with her having a child, and it does not speak well for his company! Honestly, I have yet to see this method fail - Good luck!!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Question, before you use this method...

Are you supposed to know how much your sec. makes?

My co-worker is constantly reminding me when I complain about my salary compared to someone elses that really we're not supposed to know how much people make (although I do the payroll, so I'm not sure where she's coming from on that statement and she knows because the payroll books are kept in her office and she works with me on the job costing report [that has everyone's $$ on it]), and even if you do know how much someone makes, you can't base yourself on it because you don't know all the facts, yadda yadda.

Being that your in a supervisory roll, it's not unusual that you know how much your sec. makes, but that should not be your reasoning behind why YOU need a raise. Put together a list of responisbilites/accomplishments and use this to show them why you need a raise, not simply because you need to make more then your sec.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
is there some sort of job classification schedule that you could use to support your arguement? i work for the gov't and get paid not too much, but each position is classified based on responsibilities. each of those classifications has a pay range and they can overlap. however, that it could be to your advantage if you list everything you do and can show that you have more responsibility than your sec.

i don't think it's a bad thing to say the sec makes more than you, but i also agree that it can't be your only reasoning as to why you need raise. show the boss what all you have done and see if you can compare it to others in the company who do (or maybe should do) as much as you. this also helps in the arguement "i have nothing to do with her kid" by keeping it more about you than just her. compare yourself to those on a similar level and not your subordinate.

i do like the repitive thing b/c sometimes people just think you will give up.

whatever you do, good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I don't really have any advice to add, but I still can't get over that your secretary makes more than you do! Not to mention that you had to train FIVE of them...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Question, before you use this method...

Being that your in a supervisory roll, it's not unusual that you know how much your sec. makes, but that should not be your reasoning behind why YOU need a raise. Put together a list of responisbilites/accomplishments and use this to show them why you need a raise, not simply because you need to make more then your sec.
Agreed. I would also back it up with some statistics from the DOL or salary.com. I would use the sec angle only to state how your responsiblities are greater (if indeed you should know her salary) than her's and therefor your salary is not reflective of your duties.

If all else fails, get HR involved. Is this a smaller company? If so, it is not unusual for small companies to have loose compensation policies, which is translated to mean no compensation policy and salaries are all over the board.

That is the situation at my current company and I can't wait to work on that project. I've never done comp before!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

It's too late to go back in time, but I feel your situation brings up a very important lesson to those new in the working world...

When you are applying for a job, and salary comes up... DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT! I don't know why, but it seems to mainly be a "female" thing. When I hire my staff, men always seem to come in with the confidence to ask for the high end of the salary range. The women very often have the "I'll take whatever you offer me" attitude.

I am much more impressed with someone who values themself enough to ask for more money. They may not get it, but they probably will get the job over someone who asks for very little money but is of equal skill and experience. Remember that employers want the BEST person for the job, not necessarily the cheapest person. Human nature tends to make us value things more that cost more.

The problem you now face is not an uncommon one. You came in at a lower salary range, and now you probably are stuck with those tiny cost-of-living raises. What you need is a new base salary.

I would advise you NOT to bring up anyone else's salary. Your employer considers it privileged information and none of your business. If you bring it up it makes you look unprofessional and petty. It would also make them wonder how you know this private information.

Instead, I would take some time to get your ducks in a row. Make a list of what you have done to contribute to the company. Have specific examples of how you have gone above and beyond the call of duty.. how you have saved the firm money, came up with unique ideas, or anything else that makes you a highly valuable employee.

If you don't have a strong case, then spend the next few months making yourself one. Keep a log of all of the things you've done for the company, and if possible, document them. Then, when you have enough ammunition.. make a list and talk to your manager.

When you approach your manager, do so in a very friendly way. Do not show hostility, or you'll put him/her on the defensive. Have a specific number in mind and ask for a higher figure than that. You'll almost never get what you ask for-- so ask for much more than you want.

If your manager turns you down, ask why. There may be a valid reason that has nothing to do with your job performance like a budget freeze.

Don't argue.. it won't get you anywhere other than in the dog house. Instead, ask what you can do to merit that raise. Be open to constructive criticism. If it's valid-- take it to heart and make the changes necessary. Give it a few months and then go back to your manager and tell him/her how you have complied with those guidelines.

If that fails, go in to human resources and present your case.

And... if nothing works, it may be time to look for another job... but this time... ask for more money.

There are some good books on negotiating a raise. It might be worth a trip to the library.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I found out when my boss was going to be working. I walked into his office and sat down and said I would like a raise. I gave him the amount and said if this is not possible then I will need to seek other places to work. I got the raise. If you don't ask you will not get.
I was prepared to quit though if the answer had been no.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Banned

That's wonderful! Congratulations! I hope our OP has the same success.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for all the pointers. I still have not had my meeting. My boss finally talked to me about it and said he will review me after he reviews two other people because they are were hired in Dec and I was in Jan. One got a review last week so I am hoping the other one will as well soon.

I think over the holidays I am going to make a nice list of all the things I did when I started and all the things I do now and have learned along the way. I want to highlight all the important things that I think makes me valuable.

Only thing I am afraid of is before I knew all this accounting software and all theses reports to do and inventory methods and such and now that we hired a new admin I think he wants to teach her everything. His idea was that I can be sick any day and noone has to worry, I kind of think thats bull as Ive been sick without a admin being there and the place has run just fine.

We are now having our corporate office do all our accounts paybale as they spend so much time reconciling the accounts at the end of every period that it will be easier to have all the branches give over AP to Corp. I am totally fine with it as I can do it, but its not something I love to do. It scares me a bit though, its one less thing they need me for now.

My boss says well soon once you teach the admin stuff, I can have you focus more on customer service and more on other things. I just hope he is being honest and will have more things for me to do.

When I was hired on from a temp agency, I was temp to perm, I negotiated a salary increase as the temp agency was making a killing off me. They didnt want to give me what I wanted and I knew I deserved more, but I was afriad theyd say oh well, we can find someone else. Thats why I am a bit scared now that they could replace me if I want too much. I know what other Office Managers make around here, but doesnt mean they will pay that to me...

Well see after Christmas and the new year.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Personally, I think you need to look for work elsewhere.

They're not treating you well, and it sounds like they're training someone to take over your job.

I had great advice when I was looking (but still in my last job.) The woman I was talking to said, "Oh, really? You're looking? How many resumes did you send out yesterday?"

She had a point, though - I was looking, but I wasn't being serious about it. When I really got on fire to look - as in, skipping going out on Friday to stay in and look through the papers, read articles about my industry to figure out the key players, and got a "this is my new job - to apply places; I'm going to put as many irons in the fire as humanly possible", THAT'S when I got something.

**** ALSO **** be careful about mentioning salaries. Some companies actually prohibit employees from discussing this - you may have signed a form agreeing to that fact somewhere along the line, and not remember it.

Last edited by HotDamnImAPhiMu; 02-08-2006 at 07:33 AM.