GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
So in other words, your sorority won't be campus based?

There are already several sororities for adult women like this.

HEEEEEEEEEY. How's it going?? PM me and let me know.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
So in other words, your sorority won't be campus based?

There are already several sororities for adult women like this.

I know but I can't find one, I been researching for a while.
and there arent any social organizations at my school

I am on a " yahoo mailing list thingy" with a sorority to be considered to pledge this winter, but there is something iffy about it. If I was to pledge with them they stated that a chapter can be made in my area.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Absolut_Andrea

I am on a " yahoo mailing list thingy" with a sorority to be considered to pledge this winter, but there is something iffy about it. If I was to pledge with them they stated that a chapter can be made in my area.
Is it Beta Sigma Phi?? If it is, there's really nothing "iffy" about them. They're a large national sorority, with a pretty good rep. If it's not, try looking into them. They're not specifically for "Plus sized single moms who are working and going to college" but they do have chapters that target certain populations. (One city may have three chapters -maybe one with older members, one with younger members, and one that's mixed, etc for example). They have a forum here on GC and most of them are very open about sharing their experiences and membership info.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Is it Beta Sigma Phi?? If it is, there's really nothing "iffy" about them. They're a large national sorority, with a pretty good rep. If it's not, try looking into them. They're not specifically for "Plus sized single moms who are working and going to college" but they do have chapters that target certain populations. (One city may have three chapters -maybe one with older members, one with younger members, and one that's mixed, etc for example). They have a forum here on GC and most of them are very open about sharing their experiences and membership info.
Nah it's not them, The one I'm talking about its like to be recommended to pledge to have to join a mailing list, introduce yourself and join in the "email conversations" they asks a questions like why you want to join, who are your role models etc. Recently they told us that we have to befriend a soror to get recommended. There arent any sorors in the D.C area to befriend so we have to do it through email, and long distance phone calls. To me I think it's better to be face to face with the person to see how real they are, a phone conversation isn't going to do it. Thats why I thought it was iffy..

Last edited by Absolut_Andrea; 06-05-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuAmberkins
As someone who tried to start a new sorority, on a campus with excellent greek life, lots of support, lots of time, and no kids/job to worry about, and still couldn't get it off the ground, I hate to be negative, but I honestly don't think you have a snowball's chance in hell of this working. I agree with AlphaFrog...start a club. Honestly, if you don't have the time or whatever to really get the sorority going, then you're going to end up disappointed with a glorified club anyway. Or get some of the people in your current club who want to get involved in the community to do that...just make it another aspect of the club.

Good luck in whatever you do...but honestly, from what you've said, you don't have any idea what to do with starting a sorority and while you may be gung-ho about it now, you'll reach a point where you feel frustrated.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Sigma Phi

They might not be EXACTLY what you're looking for, but they could fit really well. (Like when you go to the malllooking for a pair of Sevens jeans, and then all of a sudden you find a pair of Paiges that fit really well, even though that's not exactly what you were looking for- ok so I personally don't spend over $30 on a pair of jeans, but you get the point).
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiMuAmberkins
As someone who tried to start a new sorority, on a campus with excellent greek life, lots of support, lots of time, and no kids/job to worry about, and still couldn't get it off the ground, I hate to be negative, but I honestly don't think you have a snowball's chance in hell of this working. I agree with AlphaFrog...start a club. Honestly, if you don't have the time or whatever to really get the sorority going, then you're going to end up disappointed with a glorified club anyway. Or get some of the people in your current club who want to get involved in the community to do that...just make it another aspect of the club.

Good luck in whatever you do...but honestly, from what you've said, you don't have any idea what to do with starting a sorority and while you may be gung-ho about it now, you'll reach a point where you feel frustrated.
You right I don't know what to do, thats why I asked so I can get some insight...

But thanks anyway guys.....
Old 06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, don't go just yet. Everyone has a different experience.

I'm a mom, a graduate student, and an active sister of Beta Sigma Phi. While I think Beta Sigma Phi could be a good fit for you, I also understand your desire to start a campus org. I've been corresponding with a single mom who is trying to get a sorority going on her campus. PM me and I can give you more info. If anything, you might be able to bounce some ideas off of each other.

Good luck.
Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

the bottom line to go about it...

Hi there,

Well, I ended up pledging DZ where I was at but had contemplated starting my own as well - I don't regret a second of my DZ experience, however, at times I wish I had gone forward with what I had hoped to do and not had let the idea of extra hardwork and additional hurdles along the way stop me.

Working in student affairs currently, here is what you would have to reasonably need to do or consider:

1. Visit your campus activities office (if you haven't already) or locate the advisor in charge of expanding/creating student orgs. It sounds like you don't have Greek life already on your campus, which could mean that they do not allow such organizations, would be a problem. Some institutions do not allow local organizations, which would also be a huge problem. Many today, due to risk management issues, require all organizations to have a national tie.

2. If you do have Greek life there, you will need to look into the different councils and see where yours could fit - if you offer Panhellenic, Multicultural Greek councils, All Greek Councils, etc. Most fraternities and sororities, if allowed to expand, must fit under a self-governing body.

3. Have you considered latching on to a National Panhellenic Conference chapter? (visit www.npcwomen.org) Although you have a very specific purpose, you will find that you can draw national ties, so you will have alumnae support through your "creation" (also called expansion) process, you will forgo the issue of being a local (sorority insurance is INSANELY expensive), and still be able to create something that is *yours* For example, you may become an XYZ National Sorority but you support certain specific local causes and select your membership based on those things.

4. On kind of a side note, I've seen many women on my campus join sororities and have children while in it, or be single moms and make it work - it's all a matter of what you can make time for

I hope this helps - let me know where you're at because I'd love to know how everything works out!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I have decided not to start my own. Me and a few friends has started a group and we are working towards making it legit. Me myself plan on trying Beta Sigma Phi out they seem to draw me in more...

I thank everyone for the comments..
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know from personal experience, but a group of my friends were involved with starting a chapter of an existing sorority, and boy, was it a TON OF WORK.

When I was in college, I was taking a full class load, and I pretty much had a full time job, and it was a lot of work to pledge a sorority that had existed on campus for over 50 years because of sheer time constraints. I could not imagine adding a kid into the mix.

I know you want the sisterhood, closeness, etc, but in all honesty, you do not need to be an initiated member of a sorority to feel that way. I was just as close to other friends as I was to my sorority sisters.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a way to close this convo, because I already made my decision which was posted in my previous post. Thank for everyones opinion...

Old 06-08-2006, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is there a way to close this convo, because I already made my decision which was posted in my previous post. Thank for everyones opinion...

You can PM James, moe.ron, SAEalumnus, or amycat412 and they can lock it for you, if you'd like.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Quote:
This wouldn't be the Beta Beta Omega Sorority perchance, would it?

If so, I can tell you that this particular org got clowned royally on several different Greek boards for a number of reasons, one of which was between its "nickname" and the group of women it catered to created a very comical result (BBQ).

I do know now that the Yahoo Group died out within 60 days of its founding.

Anyhow, lemme know....

BTW, the other plus-size sorority was called Chi Zeta Theta. It has its own website but at last check it was being "down" for maintenance (only its intro page is online at this time).
Old 06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
This wouldn't be the Beta Beta Omega Sorority perchance, would it?

If so, I can tell you that this particular org got clowned royally on several different Greek boards for a number of reasons, one of which was between its "nickname" and the group of women it catered to created a very comical result (BBQ).

I do know now that the Yahoo Group died out within 60 days of its founding.

Anyhow, lemme know....

BTW, the other plus-size sorority was called Chi Zeta Theta. It has its own website but at last check it was being "down" for maintenance (only its intro page is online at this time).
Quote:

Let it die peacefully RM.
Closed Thread