GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,449
1 members and 1,448 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
And once again GC gives lie to the "fraternal" claim and fuel to the "exclusionary" claim.

Can't we let someone show himself without others jumping in to say "Oh, me, me, I judged him too!"
Old 11-23-2013, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow! We are all a litte testy today. However, it is always good to check out the posts of new folks to see where else they've been. So thank you to those who did and commented. And that's the basic problem with the OP. He's already shown himself as duplicitous by posting within the same day two posts which are diametrically opposed. Not a good "debut" on GC.

So, to the OP should you decide to come back and comment, yes, you're a freshman and really don't know much though you think you do. So, you get a pass on that one. But if you continue in this vein without 'fessing up, you will get slammed - and rightfully so.

DGMom - what group do YOU belong to or do you just want everyone to always tether you to your daughter? Even heli moms have to disconnect sometimes or the chopper blades can be deadly....
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

I don't get the hostility. I just don't.

Taking 25 out of 80 interested is pretty exclusive. All I can say is be yourself and keep your options open. There's a really good chance you won't make the cut and there's probably another house out there which will take you. Make sure you're rushing this house because it's the right house for you and not the house you think will make you more popular. Good luck.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Kevin.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I also don't think there's anything wrong with a freshman who is yet to go through rush expressing interest in two fraternities. Isn't it kind of the point of rush to figure out which one you want to join?
Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

But he didn't do that. In both cases he leads one to believe this is the only house he is rushing. That's the issue. He should have put all of it in one post..not two separate ones seemingly hoping that we would not see both.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
But he didn't do that. In both cases he leads one to believe this is the only house he is rushing.
Meh. He never said he was only rushing either Teke or Sigma Chi. Nor did he ever say anything that came across to me as "stuck up, suck up douche bag." Seems to me more like people who are ready to pile on reading things in the way that will justify piling on.

Count me in with those who think the hostility in this case isn't really called for and isn't very attractive.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok. Sorry people for the utter confusion. I am interested in rushing both fraternities, I didn't specify myself.

I'm not trying to come off as a "stuck up" person. I am just trying to get some more tips on just rushing in general.

When I mean exclusive fraternity, I mean exclusive in the numbers game. 25ish out of 80 is hovering around 30% or so.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrypi View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the ass while you're leaving. Maybe you can find a more appropriate mommy and me site instead of bothering us with your non-Greek opinions.
No need for a newbie to be lecturing newer members.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceshigh1 View Post
Ok. Sorry people for the utter confusion. I am interested in rushing both fraternities, I didn't specify myself.

I'm not trying to come off as a "stuck up" person. I am just trying to get some more tips on just rushing in general.

When I mean exclusive fraternity, I mean exclusive in the numbers game. 25ish out of 80 is hovering around 30% or so.
Thank you. But keep in mind that it's not that exclusive in the overall scheme of things. At Alabama this year, over 2000 women went thru and quota was 105 (or so). It's all "exclusive."

Your best bet is to meet as many of the men as possible. Attend all the events to which you are invited/welcome to attend. Be a gentleman.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Aceshigh1, there isn't some sort of magic answer for rushing a more selective (for whatever reason) organization than there is for trying to nab that fabulous job or being accepted into a selective program. In any of those situations, you will need to be qualified (grades, skill set, etc.), present yourself well and be confident (which is not cocky). Often, when presented with a pool of qualified candidates in any situation, it comes down to people who know you or that certain hard-to-define "it" factor. Get to know as many brothers as you can (without coming across as desperate, social climbing or creepy). You know the vibe. I don't see your prepping for rush with a competitive chapter being any different from prepping for an interview or other competitive undertaking. The key lesson is not to come off -- even inadvertently -- as being sketchy. Good luck to you!

Last edited by pinksequins; 11-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

"Oh Boy are we having fun now"!

Flounder-Animal House!

Get hostile and show true colors, be kind is nicer, ya think?

The question you do not ask is the one most stupid, maybe?

Sorry ProudDGMom!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 12-23-2013 at 02:28 PM.