GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,487
0 members and 2,487 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldengrl View Post
Sounds like someone in membership education was dropping the ball!

but i'm not just talking about one chapter or one school, i've heard of this a lot actually. i think panhellenic needs to make note of this more.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Everyone knows someone through someone. Kind of like 6 degrees of separation for the Chosen People. "Oh hi Brooke Levenson, I'm Samantha Katz, we met at Claire Hoffman's Bat Mitzvah. Oh I remember Claire, she went to Hebrew school at Park Avenue Synagogue with my cousin Laura. I went there! I know Laura. She dated my neighbor Isaac, etc."
I love it! I always heard basically the same thing as "Everybody knows Somebody who knows Somebody who knows the President." Now I have another way to say it!

But as to the original question, I do know of two cases where it has happened, but both times, it was someone who would now be at least 65-70 years old. And, sooner or later, someone's going to notice that you have two different sorority magazines at your house...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
If she still wants to be involved in the Greek Community at her new school, maybe she could get in contact with the Panhellenic Association and be a Rho Chi/Rho Gamma/Gamma Chi/Pi Chi/Sigma Rho Chi/whatever this school calls it. She'd be able to meet women in other chapters and she'd be the ultimate in being unbiased for the PNMs because her sorority does not have a chapter there. If she joined an NPC sorority, then that would be the most involved she could be in the Greek Community. If she joined a local at her old school, then she is allowed to go through recruitment.
If your school allows that, consider yourself lucky. At my school, a group of us AGDs & Phi Mus & Sigma Kappas 2 years ago tried to be Rho Gammas, and the school's Greek advisor had said that Panhellenic recruitment rules doesn't allow girls from nonexistent sororities (neither of us 3 organizations have ever been at our new school) to be Rho Gammas.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirlie View Post
If your school allows that, consider yourself lucky. At my school, a group of us AGDs & Phi Mus & Sigma Kappas 2 years ago tried to be Rho Gammas, and the school's Greek advisor had said that Panhellenic recruitment rules doesn't allow girls from nonexistent sororities (neither of us 3 organizations have ever been at our new school) to be Rho Gammas.
wow, I can understand what she meant, but what an unnecessarily harsh way to put it!! Not only that, I'm not altogether sure that she's right.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
wow, I can understand what she meant, but what an unnecessarily harsh way to put it!! Not only that, I'm not altogether sure that she's right.
I'm sure the UCF Greeks can chime in here and know the Greek Life advisor personally, but I find it hard to believe that an advisor would use the term "nonexistant sororities." Sororities not represented on campus maybe, but definitely not a "you can't be a Rho Gamma because your sorority's nonexistant."

Summer breeze...makes me feel fiiiiiiine.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I'm sure the UCF Greeks can chime in here and know the Greek Life advisor personally, but I find it hard to believe that an advisor would use the term "nonexistant sororities." Sororities not represented on campus maybe, but definitely not a "you can't be a Rho Gamma because your sorority's nonexistant."

Since I don't get many chances to be the token Knight, I'll chime in to say that it sounds implausible.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Oh ok.

Floating with the jasmine in my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnndddddddddd.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh ok.

Floating with the jasmine in my miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnndddddddddd.
They play that song EVERYDAY on the station at work. Everytime it makes me think of Dazed & Confused.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamgirlie View Post
I only made this suggestion because I remember reading in another thread (which I convieniently can't find) that a Tri Delta transferred to Elon (this was before they colonized Tri Delta at Elon) and the Panhellenic Association let her be a Rho Chi. Maybe rules have changed since then, maybe they are only campus rules, or maybe Elon violated a rule.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind not allowing women who have transferred to a campus without their sorority to be Rho Gammas (or perhaps PHA officers), because it seems to me that it would be a good way to stay involved in the Greek community and these women would be much more likely to be unbiased.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:

I'd like to know the reasoning behind not allowing women who have transferred to a campus without their sorority to be Rho Gammas (or perhaps PHA officers), because it seems to me that it would be a good way to stay involved in the Greek community and these women would be much more likely to be unbiased.
At the same time, how would you know that these women would even be qualified to be Rho Gammas? How many recruitments have they participated in? Have they served as an officer to their chapter or to PHC?

While it would be a great way for them to stay involved, if they already have a group of women from represented sororities -- who are familiar with the campus Greek environment -- who want to be Rho Gammas, I think the opportunity should be given to them first and that they be given first consideration.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueKappa View Post
Since I don't get many chances to be the token Knight, I'll chime in to say that it sounds implausible.
Agreed. Those words would simply not be used. Also, the purpose of a Rho Gamma is to help serve as an impartial guide to introduce a PNM to the university's Greek System. Someone who is a transfer/non-affiliate is not familiar with the inner workings of the new campus's Greek System. Also there's no way to keep tabs on these recruitment counselors-- any infractions they commit are going to come down to them and hearsay-- their sorority chapter is not represented and thus they are open to say whatever they please to a PNM with no kind of recourse aside from being dismissed from their post (which is not going to happen in the middle of formal recruitment!).

They're also not paying dues to Panhellenic, so technically they are not members of the campus Panhellenic, whereas chapters pay a fee each year to their campus Panhellenic, money that comes from the dues of active chapter members. There are bound to be Risk Management issues if a non-affiliated member affiliates with Panhellenic and pays dues. Rho Gammas today, Panhellenic President tomorrow? I am not trying to be unkind or unfair-- but if your sorority is not represented within a campus Panhellenic, you cannot act in the best interests of the Greek Community at-large without full immersion in that community as a member of an officially recognized chapter. There are also other issues, such as ABC picking up that they have 5 representatives on a Panhellenic council where there is no ABC chapter. How can non-affiliates vote and make decisions impacting the future of collegiate chapters when they are not paying dues or actively involved in a chapter on campus?

I do think it is regrettable that there isn't a home for transfer Greeks without a chapter. I believe that in most cases when you transfer and there is no chapter at your new school/you don't affiliate with the chapter at your new school, you are given alumna status, which would render one ineligible to participate in collegiate recruitment with regard to interaction with PNM's.

I think one solution is for these displaced Greeks to band together and form a campus organization-- you can get funding from SGA provided you have a min. number of committed members (I believe it's 12 at UCF). I'm sorry you felt you were brushed aside, and that UCF does not have an AGD chapter, but I think this is the benefit of alumnae association involvement-- you have the time and passion now as a student to turn your local AA into a very involved group within the community and your sisterhood.

Last edited by adpiucf; 10-31-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
At the same time, how would you know that these women would even be qualified to be Rho Gammas? How many recruitments have they participated in? Have they served as an officer to their chapter or to PHC?

While it would be a great way for them to stay involved, if they already have a group of women from represented sororities -- who are familiar with the campus Greek environment -- who want to be Rho Gammas, I think the opportunity should be given to them first and that they be given first consideration.
Of course not every transfer would be a good Rho Gamma, but they should be allowed to apply and interview! I would say that a second semester freshman who transferred from Auburn to UMass and has never been through formal recruitment as a member probably would not be a good candidate. However, a sophomore or junior who has been through recruitment as a member and is transferring to a campus with a similar culture, say UGA to Bama, might be a good candidate.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Of course not every transfer would be a good Rho Gamma, but they should be allowed to apply and interview! I would say that a second semester freshman who transferred from Auburn to UMass and has never been through formal recruitment as a member probably would not be a good candidate. However, a sophomore or junior who has been through recruitment as a member and is transferring to a campus with a similar culture, say UGA to Bama, might be a good candidate.
adpiucf made a great post on why transfer Rho Gammas might not be a good idea.

That said, if they already have a group of girls familiar with campus recruitment who want to be Rho Gammas, why bother with those who don't know anything about the campus?

If the transfer Greek wants sisterhood and bonding, that's what her AA is for.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I am only arguing for the possibility of a transfer being allowed to apply to be a Rho Gamma. Depending on the individual, and the other women applying to be Rho Gammas, it may work well or may be a horrible idea. That's it.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Unregistered-

Um, I know how to read.

But let's see how many times we can use the underline function before it gets annoying.
Closed Thread