GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,632
1 members and 2,631 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-05-2004, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

White Dresses Question

I have seen pictures of other Sigma Kappa chapters from Initiation & the other ceremonies that we have to wear our white dresses and something stuck with me.

At my chapter, white dresses cannot be off the shoulder or have too much skin showing around the chest. Some of the pics of girls I have seen have them wearing strapless or spaghetti strap dresses. I remember being specifically told that the dresses must be tasteful, modest, most importantly, you have to be comfortable enough to wear it a lot.

Is it only my chapter that enforces this no shoulders shown rule or are all Sigma Kappa chapters supposed to follow this???

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that the same general rule applies to most Sigma Kappa chapters: not too low-cut, off the shoulder, or spaghetti straps.

A lot of pictures that I see where the white dresses don't fit the bill are from Bid Day. Where a lot of groups ask that you wear white (or pastel, in UK's case) but don't specify a style.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
This is horrible, but I don't even remember if we actually had a rule like that. To the best of my recollection, we didn't have a steadfast rule but I think everyone kinda knew better. I can think of maybe a couple that had spaghetti straps, but they were tasteful. I have no problem with style as long as it's tasteful style.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: White Dresses Question

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP
I have seen pictures of other Sigma Kappa chapters from Initiation & the other ceremonies that we have to wear our white dresses and something stuck with me.

At my chapter, white dresses cannot be off the shoulder or have too much skin showing around the chest. Some of the pics of girls I have seen have them wearing strapless or spaghetti strap dresses. I remember being specifically told that the dresses must be tasteful, modest, most importantly, you have to be comfortable enough to wear it a lot.

Is it only my chapter that enforces this no shoulders shown rule or are all Sigma Kappa chapters supposed to follow this???

Thanks!
That's interesting! I have never heard that before, but I think that it is a good thing.

I know that in my chapter that we have had girls wear strapless dresses, but it was very tasteful. We also have girls that wear dresses with spaghetti strapes. I know that NHQ has certain guidelines for wearing white, so you might want to check those out too. But I really do think what your chapter has is a good thing.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter is VERY specific of what we can and cannot wear. Since lots of it is based in ritual, I can't post ir here but you SigKaps know what I am talking about. I had to get my dress approved b/c it had a side slit that went up to the knees.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

If you look in the handbooks portion of the For Sisters Only area, the ritual chair's handbook has a discussion of what is appropriate attire. PM me if you need help in finding that.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has always been very strict when it comes to white dresses. Pants are absolutely not allowed. We are required to wear white panty hose and shoes, no exceptions in fact we will send you home (we don't have a house or across the street to buy pany hose if you do not have them) We also require long dresses no short dresses here. We do have girls that have spaghetti straps and strapless but we make sure they are tastful. No jean material is allowed. This is in our code of conduct and is not necessarily national policy.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fayefil Send a message via Yahoo to Fayefil
Angry

At UCA the Sigma Kappas are the only ones lucky enough to get to wear black dresses for ritual.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayefil
At UCA the Sigma Kappas are the only ones lucky enough to get to wear black dresses for ritual.

Wha....? How is that possible?

ETA: Wait, I just saw in another post that you're a Tri-Sigma, so are you sure you have your stories right about Sigma Kappa?

Last edited by SigK_Bama; 02-04-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My Thoughts exactly!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SigK_Bama
Wha....? How is that possible?

ETA: Wait, I just saw in another post that you're a Tri-Sigma, so are you sure you have your stories right about Sigma Kappa?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
My chapter inforces dress code
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 02-06-2005, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

White Dresses a MUST! And in great taste!
At one time, several chapters would have everyone in the same style of dress. (Usually hand made by a local seamstress) Alums would pass down their dresses, or donate them to the chapter for future ladies.
I attended an intiation where a Past National President was also attending. I thought she was going to have a fit when she saw what some of the young ladies were wearing. The PNP was a stickler for details, but never said a direct word to any of the young ladies. For the next five years the dress code was drummed into everyone!
Remember, your pics go into the magazine and on your web pages, for all ( and parents) to see. Let us show everyone we have Great taste!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking black vs. white dresses

I just know that on the nights everyone is wearing white I see them wearing black. I don't know, maybe they wear both?? I'd have to ask one of them. ^_^ About me being a Sigma, I like to browse around other sororities message boards and see what is going on in the greek community. Yay for greek unity!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: black vs. white dresses

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayefil
I just know that on the nights everyone is wearing white I see them wearing black.
Not every sorority is having a ritual at the same time I'm sure. Maybe they dress for a different ocassion? Or maybe you are saying "ritual" but don't really mean a real (secret & private) Sigma Kappa ritual. The contents of our rituals are private so there should be no way for anyone outside of our sisterhood to know the happenings of our rituals.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Ok thats what I get for trying to talk about a sorority that isn't mine. ^_^ I saw Sigma Kappas tonight in white dresses so my bad! Sorry ladies.