GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,372
0 members and 1,372 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile White dresses?

I've been told that once you make in into a sorority, you need a white dress for initiation. I'm just curious whether or not this is true?
Also, cream vs. white: do sororities care? And how dressy does this dress need to be?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any answers!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorK130 View Post
I've been told that once you make in into a sorority, you need a white dress for initiation. I'm just curious whether or not this is true?
Also, cream vs. white: do sororities care? And how dressy does this dress need to be?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any answers!
That depends on every sorority. Some wear white to rituals, some don't.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of sororities do wear white for different ceremonies. Mine personally doesn't care about cream vs. white. If you don't already have a white dress, I suggest you grab one before heading off to school, it'll just be a good thing to have!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

it would be best to get white(not cream, off-white, bone, etc.) with no colored trim.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

and best not strapless because I've read on here that some sororities don't want that, although some accept it with a sweater over it.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

If you graduated from high school in a white dress, that one is likely appropriate. If not, there are a ton on sale in department stores now.
All of these would be appropriate for my org and chapter, and seem similar to what my friends in other orgs have worn, though I actually don't know their regulations:
http://www.lillypulitzer.com/The-Lit...ttlewhitedress (if you have a store near you, there are a lot of white dresses on sale at Lilly now- a few for $99 or $114)
http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...924&R=03302112
http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...924&R=03325867
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3103984/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014133?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014133&P=1
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3085563/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014133?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014133&P=1

sorry if this was a little excessive, I really want a new white dress...

Last edited by pibetaphi2013; 08-11-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM

WHITE. Not cream, ecru, bone, or mother-of-pearl.

No colored trim. No strapless, halter top, t-back or off the shoulder. No skin tight. At least fingertip length, preferably longer. It shouldn't look like a wedding dress (i.e. it shouldn't be that huge or that over the top). Even if your chapter is fairly lenient about the particulars of it, it's best for you to have one that's on the conservative side in case you ever need to wear it to convention or other places where national officers will be.

Get a dress that fits all these things and leave the tags on in case the group you join doesn't use white.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-11-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Some sororities require whites to be tea or floor length.

Unfortunately, this will probably just be something that you'll have to acquire after recieving a bid and getting the details.

I borrowed for my own initiation and the initiation after, then bought one come springtime/summer when white dresses are so much more common. It doesn't necessarily have to be cute.

ETA: The wedding dress thing doesn't necessarily matter, as long as it's plain (no beads) and meets other organization requirements.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it would be best to get white(not cream, off-white, bone, etc.) with no colored trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
and best not strapless because I've read on here that some sororities don't want that, although some accept it with a sweater over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
WHITE. Not cream, ecru, bone, or mother-of-pearl.

No colored trim. No strapless, halter top, t-back or off the shoulder. No skin tight. At least fingertip length, preferably longer. It shouldn't look like a wedding dress (i.e. it shouldn't be that huge or that over the top). Even if your chapter is fairly lenient about the particulars of it, it's best for you to have one that's on the conservative side in case you ever need to wear it to convention or other places where national officers will be.

Get a dress that fits all these things and leave the tags on in case the group you join doesn't use white.
DITTO on all of the above.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would wait to buy one, unless you happen to find one that's both conservative and cute, and that you would buy anyway. Many sororities have certain requirements for the white dress (if they do use it) and since you don't know what those are, you might buy one that doesn't meet them. But of course if you see one that you would be able to wear on other occasions in case it won't do for initiation, why not?

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It is much harder to find a white dress after August, worth shopping for one and keeping the tags on.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

If you have a mall with White House, Black Market, that might be one place to look.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Get white. I know my sorority DOES care if it is off-white. They would tell me to get a white dress. My sorority uses whites for ritual and initiation. It cannot be too showy and the dress should be longer than arm length. If the straps are too thin then we have to get a white cardigan

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

plus at some schools, some sororities hold their pledging ceremony the night of bid day, and you simply do not have time to go shopping. even if you did, you will be competing with ALL the other new members that did not get a white dress ahead of time. do it now, while you have the time.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Colored trim can include buttons as well. To be safe, buttons should be white, not gold or silver or any other color. It would be worth finding white shoes too.

And please, if you don't have some already, invest in good nude colored undergarments.

Last edited by RaggedyAnn; 08-12-2010 at 08:34 AM.