GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,209
0 members and 2,209 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thesis help

Hi all

I need help from anyone is willing to help me. I am a psych major going for my masters and I need to do a thesis paper. I was wondering if anyone who was hazed during there pledge period could help me out. All things given will be used with no names attached. Everything will be done anonymously. I need to know even if u didn’t get initiated what types of things were done to you and how each thing mentally affected you. See my thesis is that even though being in a sorority or fraternity can be a good thing physical and mental hazing can hurt you in the long run. So please anyone that is willing to please let me into there lives and give me info would be really helpful. Also please do all of this through pm because I don’t really want other people reading this and I’m sure most of you don’t either. Thanks again in advance.

Last edited by Energizer420; 09-09-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

All surveys of members of NPC Groups need to be approved by NPC. Have you spoken to them about your survey?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sigep533 Send a message via AIM to sigep533 Send a message via Yahoo to sigep533
touchy subject..for some
Old 09-08-2003, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

no i havent yet because i first need to see how much info i can collect cause if i cant collect enough im gonna have to throw the whole thesis out and start again, so im not even sure if this gonna work yet. Also if you have any idea on who or how i could get in contact with someone from npc that would really help me out because i dont have any clue. Thanks

Last edited by Energizer420; 09-08-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Does this seem just a little shady to anybody else? I just can't see a grad student making all those spelling errors when appealing for research.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Listen that is why a computer has spell check just because im not a good speller doesnt mean anything. I kind of take that to offense that just because i make spelling mistakes doesnt mean im to dumb to be in a masters program. My major isnt english its psychology
Sorry i kind of feel like this response was a little rude and wanted to apologize. I just dont like it when people act like that. Once again im sorry if this offended anyone i didnt mean to.

Last edited by Energizer420; 09-08-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the contact information for NPC:

National Panhellenic Conference Office
Carol Armstrong, Administrative Director
3905 Vincennes Road, Suite 105
Indianapolis, IN 46268
(317) 872-3185 (Phone)
(317) 872-3192 (Fax)
npccentral@npcwomen.org

Their website is www.npcwomen.org.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lauradav
Here is the contact information for NPC:

National Panhellenic Conference Office
Carol Armstrong, Administrative Director
3905 Vincennes Road, Suite 105
Indianapolis, IN 46268
(317) 872-3185 (Phone)
(317) 872-3192 (Fax)
npccentral@npcwomen.org

Their website is www.npcwomen.org.
I would imagine Phi Mu has an NPC delegate (like the rest of us) and you should be able to contact her through your own organization for help as well.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

So you’re saying one needs a Masters in English to be able to spell simple words and know the difference between they’re, their and there? Hmm.

Anyway, it's not about grammar and spelling. It's about credibility.

Energizer, you may be entirely serious and legit, but unfortunately your request sounds exactly like the fifty or so others I've read from trolls on various greek and anti-hazing boards. They all seem to go something like this (poor spelling and grammar omitted for clarity):

I'm writing / researching a
documentary / article / thesis paper on
hazing / rituals / other sordid detail of greek life.
If you have any dirty laundry to air, please contact me. Strictly confidential.

Sound familiar?

So yes, if you want people to believe this is legit, perhaps you should use spellcheck/grammarcheck... just this once!

wptw
Old 09-09-2003, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I wish I could help you out (...wait, no I don't, 'cause that would mean I'd been hazed ), but I do know some older people who were hazed in their college GLOs. The youngest is, like, almost 40, though, so the "incidents" definitely wouldn't be current. They also don't involve NPC/NIC groups.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok listen i guess this isnt going to work, im sorry that i upset you all but i knew there were a lot of older adults on this website on they were the ones i was basically targeting, not the people who are in chapters now because most of the chapters out there now DO NOT HAZE, i was just hoping to speak to some of the people out there that were. Sorry again for upseting you all. and a small p.s. i wasnt asking for any kind of ritual that is why i didnt think it would have been that big of a deal
Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Energizer PMed you.

Edited because originally it ticked me off how everyone just attacks everyone on here.

Facebook

Last edited by ilovemyglo; 09-09-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Energizer420
Ok listen i guess this isnt going to work, im sorry that i upset you all but i knew there were a lot of older adults on this website on they were the ones i was basically targeting, not the people who are in chapters now because most of the chapters out there now DO NOT HAZE, i was just hoping to speak to some of the people out there that were. Sorry again for upseting you all. and a small p.s. i wasnt asking for any kind of ritual that is why i didnt think it would have been that big of a deal
Here's my opinion as to why it is a "big deal':

Say that I'm really a 40 year old alum instead of a 20 year old one. Say I graduated from...Illinois. I picked that out of my head because it's the first campus I could think of where Gamma Phi and Phi Mu both are. Say I told you that when I pledged, I got horribly hazed, both physically and mentally. Maybe that chapter has since changed, and since it's still operating it almost definitely has - but now you have a statement from a Gamma Phi Beta saying that chapter hazed. I could see a charter getting pulled reaaaally quick for something like this.

If you're really serious about doing research on hazing, try going to Hank Nuwer's site - he's done a lot of it for you. I'm sure your readers could also suggest some places to go.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 AM

energizer,

I don't think you are shady but I'm very very offended by your intimating that "older people" on this site (which in this context, I would say 30+) were hazed all over the place because we were just too unenlightened and stupid back then. This is a reason why a lot of alumnae aren't active, because of this sort of attitude from younger members and nationals.

Are some of the things I did considered hazing now? Yes. Was I hazed, in MY opinion, which is the one that counts? HELL NO. Sorry, but asking a Sigma Chi to sign a book and getting paddled till I can't sit are not the same thing.

I know that you are trying to do something beneficial, but the next time, please think before you speak.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Here's my opinion as to why it is a "big deal':

Say that I'm really a 40 year old alum instead of a 20 year old one. Say I graduated from...Illinois. I picked that out of my head because it's the first campus I could think of where Gamma Phi and Phi Mu both are. Say I told you that when I pledged, I got horribly hazed, both physically and mentally. Maybe that chapter has since changed, and since it's still operating it almost definitely has - but now you have a statement from a Gamma Phi Beta saying that chapter hazed. I could see a charter getting pulled reaaaally quick for something like this.

If you're really serious about doing research on hazing, try going to Hank Nuwer's site - he's done a lot of it for you. I'm sure your readers could also suggest some places to go.
Ok here is what i was saying about it being confidential, i am not asking for a chapter name, what school you were at or your name, so basically i have no way of contacting you are your chapter about it or saying that i have a statment from you. What i am asking for specifically is what was done to you and how it effected you. Not anything specific about the actual chapter itself not even the name.