GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,378
2 members and 2,376 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I really think the issue is that the FRATERNITIES could get in trouble, and possibly lose their single-sex status. I would guess that most NIC fraternities have policies against this, and the NPC put this out there just to support them.
Our IFC has rush hostesses written into their bylaws and everything... I'm not sure how IFC/NIC interact, but I assume they wouldn't have official policies about it against nationals...?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyv View Post
Our IFC has rush hostesses written into their bylaws and everything... I'm not sure how IFC/NIC interact, but I assume they wouldn't have official policies about it against nationals...?
Yeah if they're concerned I suspect they'd make their own policies.

And it's not like restricting NPC women somehow removes ALL potential women from being involved.

I suspect it's primarily due to the negative perception of hostesses - whether rightly earned or not.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
No, because it isn't related to actually being in a sorority or being in the NPC*. They can't forbid you to join the Math club, visit a fraternity house, or be Buddhist. I don't think there's any way they CAN forbid them from being hostesses. I'm not sure any organization could make the same rule except prohibiting members doing it in letters. There's freedom of association issues as well. I will be interesting to see if they can make those rules and keep them to uphold Title IX, or not. I'm skeptical, but would require a MC ruling to know for sure.

They recommend it because it can look bad for sorority members to be little more than boob advertisements for a fraternity (despite the Title IX claims, again I'd like to understand that better). It's not manipulative in the way your letters example is, it's pretty straight forward recommendation.

*It mentions Title IX but I don't see how it actually relates.
I don't know what this has to do with Title IX either, unless the members are asking the hostesses for their impressions of rushees ("A wimp and a blimp!") and making decisions on who to bid partially based on that.

If it's an image issue, then again, NPC should just come out and say it.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

If it's an image issue, then again, NPC should just come out and say it.
*shrug* I just don't see a problem with the recommendation. I get why they're making it.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
*shrug* I just don't see a problem with the recommendation. I get why they're making it.
I don't. If they think it's bad image-wise, they need to have the balls to come out and say that...but they know that will piss some people off, so they cloak it in Title IX. Which might have something to do with it, or might not. It's kind of hard to respect rules or recommendations when your answer to "Why?" is "Because."
Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyv View Post
This is exactly why our campus is pushing against it. The girls aren't wearing inappropriate clothing, aren't wearing their own letters to events, all events are dry, there's no unsavory behavior on the part of the women... and it's really nothing to do with Panhellenic. In fact, it's one of the few times that there's some inter-sorority interaction, which would make it a positive thing, if anything.

I can understand how it COULD be used inappropriately, but I think that's why viewing it on a campus-to-campus basis is appropriate.
I agree with this, for us its a big honour and means your close enough with the fraternity for them to ask you. All the events are dry and you don't wear your letters. I didn't know that they were looking at it in a negative way on some campus's, but I can also see how it can be taken to far potentially by some guys.

I've never been involved or around a fraternity rush (I was living off campus/ am in first year) so thats why I was wondering