GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,156
1 members and 1,155 guests
3DGator

Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I've done everything from an hour and 10 minutes one way (in Kansas City) to 7 minutes in Newport Beach. I'm currently doing about 25 minutes, and about 10 minutes more going home, and I'm ok with that. I'll be moving back to the KC metro again next month (to Overland Park), and I plan on putting myself in the 10-15 minute range.
Doing the reverse commute in Chicago (from 5700 north at the Lake to Lisle) was about 50 minutes on a good day but on a Bulls game day (in the Michael Jordan era), all hell broke loose and it could take me 2 1/2 hours or longer to get home . And no sane person can drive the Eisenhower every day and stay that way.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

My commute: 8 subway stops against rush hour traffic, 25-40 minutes. "against rush" doesn't mean much in NYC as the subway is busy enough to have traffic and screwups in any directions.

Longest commute: 3 hours from Queens to Morristown, NJ, all on public transit. NEVER AGAIN. Fellow tri-state GCers, give tld221 circa 2006 a hug.

My ideal commute on public transit is under an hour door-to-door, and close enough that cab fare is less than going to the airport.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Longest commute: 3 hours from Queens to Morristown, NJ, all on public transit. NEVER AGAIN. Fellow tri-state GCers, give tld221 circa 2006 a hug.
((Hugs))

I've done this before! When I was living in NJ, I had to go one additional stop to Morris Plains. Even just getting across the city to reach Penn Station in time was a task, then add waiting for the track to be announced, everyone herding themselves like cattle into the small doorways of the track entrance, and trying to find a seat! Then it was an additional 45 min to an hour to Jersey. It takes a special kind of person to put up with that every day. Fortunately, I only had to do it on occasion for a few weeks at a time!

@~/~~~~
Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I commute about 33 miles each way. On a good day it takes 50-60 minutes driving straight east into the rising sun on the Mass Pike, then about 40-45 minutes driving home (straight west into the setting sun). On a bad day or snowy day it's taken me up to 4.5 hours (but only two or three times in the past 5 years). It's pretty dependent on the time I leave as to how much traffic I hit going in.... I use the time to wake up fully, gather thoughts, ponder meals to cook for the week, etc.

Good luck in conquering the exhaustion!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Start my new job today and it should be about 23 minutes in zero traffic. It could be up to 30-45 at peak traffic. Maybe I'll actually time it today to know for sure.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

In OKC, there's no traffic to speak of. I live about 10 miles from work near the downtown area. It takes me 15-30 minutes to get there depending on traffic.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
My old house: 17 miles and it takes me 2.5 hours

My new apartment: 5 miles and it takes me 45 minutes

Yes, Jakarta's traffic is legendary

Good luck honeychile!!!!
45 minutes for 5 miles. That is crazy. I'd probably start walking to work and get the exercise.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I live 5 miles from my job and it takes me 10-20 minutes depending on time of day. We live 65 miles away from my husband's job and it takes him a little over an hour because he works weird hours. 65 miles is a lot but it allows us to live near family and in a nicer area than if we lived closer to his job. We think about moving but we'll probably wait until our kids are in college.

We just budget for high gas bills, monthly oil changes and new cars for him about every 5 years (he put over 200K miles on the last car). He loves talk radio and listening to books on tape so it seems to work for him. I couldn't do it but it's a sacrifice he makes for his family.

Last edited by ADPiEE; 10-24-2013 at 06:57 PM.