GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,287
0 members and 2,287 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LadyRuby02 Send a message via Yahoo to LadyRuby02
Lightbulb Becoming Recongized Nationally

Hey Everyone,
I am kinda new to this but i need some guidance. I currently joined an organization that is two years old (pretty young) but i feel like it has the potential to grow and be around for 10...40...100 years just like other Greek organizations. i love my organization and i will do anything to help it grow. I need some advice though. How should we go about being nationally known. I currently go to school in New York City and my school's greek life is BIG but they arent accepting any local organizations now and we are consider local. Just any tips to help us move towards becoming national?
LADY RUBY #2
SP 2009
THETA LAMBDA DELTA

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

You can't become "national" unless you have interest at other universities (and that's just one piece of the puzzle). I am going to take a guess here and say that by the look of your signature line, you are part of some kind of cultural-based sorority...am I right?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRuby02 View Post
Hey Everyone,
I am kinda new to this but i need some guidance. I currently joined an organization that is two years old (pretty young) but i feel like it has the potential to grow and be around for 10...40...100 years just like other Greek organizations. i love my organization and i will do anything to help it grow. I need some advice though. How should we go about being nationally known. I currently go to school in New York City and my school's greek life is BIG but they arent accepting any local organizations now and we are consider local. Just any tips to help us move towards becoming national?
I'm guessing what you/your school is referring to as "national recognition" is membership in an umbrella council like the NPC/NPHC/NMGC etc. You would need to look into a council that fits your orgs needs and determine if you meet their membership qualifications. If you do not meet their qualifications, then you need to work to obtaining the various elements of said requirements before seeking membership once again.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

You make yourself "nationally known" by participating in events and presenting your organization in a good light. Like LatinaAlumna said, though, you can't become a national organization unless there is interest at other universities.

Looks like you just became a member of your organization. Enjoy your time as a new member before you worry about trying to make huge changes. Your chapter's leaders may already have a plan in place to expand.

And, btw, talk to your sister.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

im having a KSUViolet06 kind of day, minus the magenta font.

i agree with k_s: work on making your current chapters strong so your case for expanding is flawless. you say you go to school in NYC but your official website only shows 2 NY chapters, neither being in the city.

which is irrelevant. focus on your potential as a member, then as a chapter, then as an organization in expansion.
Agreeing with LatinaAlumna, expansion is a two-way street: sure, you (and your fellow members) want to come to other campuses, but how do you know said campuses want you? the need and the want has to exist, from faculty and student body. it requires a lot of research and time.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LadyRuby02 Send a message via Yahoo to LadyRuby02
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE! I'LL KEEP IT ALL IN MIND.
LADY RUBY #2
SP 2009
THETA LAMBDA DELTA

Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ecugamma
I suggest you look into the new Local National Board that was just formed. Look on the Locals page. It should be a few posts over yours.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

My suggestion is that you increase your online presence. You never know who's on the internet researching and looking for an alternative to what's already around them. By them being able to access you, or at least see you, this way, it's easier for someone 5 or 500 miles away to contact you, if they feel your organization may be right for them. Maybe someday you can charter or colonize somewhere else, which (in my opinion) is the start to being recognized nationally. Hope this helps, too!
#1 - PSIx Degrees of Separation
NU OMEGA PSI SORORITY, INC.