GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Mu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,111
0 members and 1,111 guests
No Members online

Old 11-13-2002, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Say goodbye to SAM - Texas

UT Fraternity Suspended For Hazing Allegations
Allegations of hazing forces the University of Texas to suspend a fraternity. Sigma Alpha Mu was already on probation for a hazing incident last year. Fraternity members say they don't know what the hazing allegations are. They're waiting on a letter from the university to explain the specifics. The president of the inter fraternity council at UT says Sigma Alpha Mu is not an animal house type fraternity. The university should complete its investigation by next week. 12 fraternal groups at UT have been penalized for hazing in three years.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-18-2002, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to sfasammy Send a message via AIM to sfasammy
From the online version of The Daily Texan (UT's student paper) at :
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/vnew...5?in_archive=1

Fraternity: Press release was fake
Sigma Alpha Mu waits for official report from dean
By Jonathan York (Daily Texan Staff)
November 14, 2002

A press release on Sigma Alpha Mu letterhead announcing that the fraternity's UT chapter had been suspended was forged, fraternity officials and the InterFraternity Council president said Wednesday.
"I've been an adviser at [Sigma Alpha Mu] for 11 years, and the fraternity has never released a quote-unquote press release," said Wayne Pappert, the fraternity's adviser.

Pappert said he verified that the release had not come from the fraternity's national office, either.

Ryan Griffin, Sigma Alpha Mu president, called The Daily Texan Wednesday night after a story in Monday's newspaper used information from the press release. Griffin asked for information on who sent the press release, but because it was sent from an anonymous fax machine, it is unclear who sent the press release.

The main points of the Texan story - including the fact that the fraternity was on interim suspension pending the outcome of a investigation of hazing allegations - are true, Griffin said. However, the story cited the press release to say the fraternity's Atlantic City party had been canceled.

In fact, the party was not canceled until Tuesday night, Pappert said.

The Texan also repeated a statement in the press release that the fraternity had not attended mandatory IFC meetings.

"They have not had poor attendance at IFC meetings," IFC President Matt Mackowiak said. "Their rep has had the best attendance record of any of the 23 IFC representatives."

The Texan received a second press release Wednesday that contained specific allegations of hazing and a copy of a letter claiming to be from the national Sigma Alpha Mu office.

"[The letter] doesn't sound familiar at all," Pappert said. "I'm not going to completely deny that I've received it."

Both press releases bear Sigma Alpha Mu insignia at the top of the page. Each is written in newspaper style with a "-30-" symbol - the traditional sign for the end of a newspaper story - at the bottom of the page.

"All freshman parents were sent a letter at the beginning of the year," Griffin said. "Some of us think that letterhead could have been taken from [that] letter sent earlier."

The fraternity is waiting for an official report from the dean of students on the veracity of hazing complaints.

"My understanding, from speaking with Dean [Teresa Graham] Brett, is that this is a serious case, and there is some substantial evidence," Mack-owiak said. "But I have full faith in the leadership of this particular chapter and that this hazing case is an isolated incident, and that they will cooperate fully."
Old 11-18-2002, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Hoosier:
Objectivity, ever heard of it?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't let it get you down!

Hey Sigma Theta Bro's:

Yes, I have heard rumors (from our Octagon Counsel Member) that the distinguished gentlemen of UT were going through "some heat," from UT (BIG Brother), for the alleged hazing incident, but, SAMMY National is supporting our Bro's and offering damage control to ensure that this incident gets resolved quickly.

Hopefully, once the investigation ends, Sigma Theta will still be an active house on campus.

But, to say that they are gone....... now, that's taking things to the extreme.

Atlantic City and The Jungle Parties.......... RAGE!

Fast and Firm,

STUBERT
Old 03-01-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Theta

Sigma Theta is still a very active and vital part of Sigma Alpha Mu and will soon be part of the IFC at UT again. I love how student newspapers and rags never get the complete story.